There have been 468 of your fellow community members and guests in the forums and elsewhere on AVSIM within the last 15 minutes!
AVSIM Social Groups - NEW!
AVSIM Team Speak System - NEW!
Simulation's Premier Resource!
AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!
- Easter sale at PC Aviator
- Q400 for 47.99 at JustFlight
- Just Flight DC-6B Easter bargain
- EASTER WEEKEND SALE AT MV!
- 48 hour deal at Just Flight - Three great add-ons £5/€6/$8 each
- 50% OFF ALL MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 PhotoReal Scenery Titles
- 25% off Taxi2Gate Mexican Airports Till Apr 30
- Like FSDT on Facebook and get a discount next Monday!
- 33% OFF Bill Stack's "Simming on Autopilot" Tutorial
- Easter Sale - 40% OFF PerfectFlight Downloads
- For Sale: TrackIR 5 by NaturalPoint
- Wanted Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle & Flight Stick
- Old Sublogic Flight Sim Charts
- Mcp And Efis For Sale. Usb Plug And Play
- Mcp And Efis For Sale. Usb Plug And Play. Metal
- A good, cheap, VHF Receiver?
- Wanted to BUY or SELL: Used Titan GTX
- Top Quality PC Components For Sale
- Various Add On's for Sale...
- CP Flight RS 232 Items for Sale
. . .
Best payware general scenery enhancement?
Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:37 AM
Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:18 AM
Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:16 AM
Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:26 AM
Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:30 AM
Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:31 AM
Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:42 AM
Truer words never spoken. My slope started with an $18 standard version of FSX, and ended up at ... ah, who am I kidding? It hasn't ended
REX2 for sky, clouds, water, and airport environment.Beware, you are entering a slippery slope - before you know what happened, you will have GEX, UTX, SceneryTech, REX, FSGlobal mesh, ORBX, and Tongass Fjords X installed, and a lot less money in the bank http://forum.avsim.net/public/style_emot...
Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:43 AM
Since I rather have a smaller area with extreme quality, FTX is my number 1. Indeed by a wide margin. I currently only fly above PNW and will do so until the next region is released by Orbx. ;) I also have two Australian area's but I only flew there because there was nothing better at the time. The day PNW was released, I moved up there. And btw about that 'smaller': when you buy all 4 Australian regions, you can't talk about small anymore...! However, a large part of down (Red) under isn't too interesting imho... PNW is exactly the kind of scenery I wanted.Of course it also depends on what you like to do in FSX: I fly GA only, so PNW is perfect for me. If you are into airliner and long hauls, UTX and GEX might me more interesting because they indeed cover a much larger region. Still, if you want a "general upgrade to the whole scenery experience", you will have to spend quite some money: there isn't ONE addon that does the whole world in a nice way.
4. FTX, aka ORBX, aka FullTerrain. This is only #4 on my list because of it's limited scope. In terms of quality, it's #1 by a wide margin. GEX and UTX give you generalized features and texture upgrades. FTX gives you highly specific and realistic terrain, roads, meshes, the works, but for a limited area. Currently they offer the 4 quadrants of Austrailia, and the U.S. Pacific NW. They are masterpieces, IMO, and worth every penny.
Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:00 AM
Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:59 AM
Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:45 AM
Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:15 AM
Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:17 AM
Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:48 PM
Excellent choice I built, owned and flew my own Rans S7 Courier (RW) now I use a Super Cub as a poor substitute!
I pretty much do low an slow flying only. Grumman Goose, Rans S-7 (back in FS9), stuff like that. I fly all over the world and rarely fly above 5000', so I'm mostly looking for a general ground and airport enhancement. Based on y'alls replies, I'm mostly looking at GEX and UTX. I've already got the photorealistic for my absolute favorite locations (Chicago, Oahu and Pacific Southwest), so I'm just looking for a way to spruce up the rest.....Thanks for all the replies!Scott
Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:30 PM
Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:23 AM
Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:50 AM
Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:47 PM
Hi Mark,I fully agree with you. Photoscenery is fantastic.I checked your screenshots. Gorgeous!!!What sceneries did you use ? Simsavvy?ThanksTake care
For value for money, I dont think you can beat the Sim -Savvy photoscenery, it's $200, but for that you get the whole USA and free upgrades to higher res stuff as it becomes available. Granted it's a bit variable in colour quality in places, but to my mind it is miles more realistic than the GEX /UTX combo. Check out the screenshots in my sig link, I use photoscenery exclusively, and I dont think you can beat it for realsim. It can work out expensive in cost and drive space, but there some great free stuff out there as well, for example, I just got the whole of Spain, for free, from a Spanish site, its really good as well. ( But 100GB!!) Definitely I think REX is another keeper. Hope that helps,Mark