Sign in to follow this  
Noel

J4100 displays--how about adding 2D popups?

HiI'm wondering if it is possible to make the EADI & EHSI to pop-UP? maybe with some tweak or FS Panel Studio? Does anybody have a solution for this?Thanx Rodd

You can make your own "pop-up-window" easy. Press "left bracket" ( looks like this -> [ ) and after "focusing" the window find the section in the VC you want and zoom till comfortable. Just make sure to "re-focus" the main window after setting up the "pop-up-window". I do this for the EIS so that I can keep an eye on the EGT during start up proceedures.

You can make your own "pop-up-window" easy. Press "left bracket" ( looks like this -> [ ) and after "focusing" the window find the section in the VC you want and zoom till comfortable. Just make sure to "re-focus" the main window after setting up the "pop-up-window". I do this for the EIS so that I can keep an eye on the EGT during start up proceedures.
Thanx Press "left bracket" did that but nothing happened? Do you mean opening another VC cockpit window from the new view menu? tried that to but it's a real FPS drainer.........just want popups like in the NGX:-( Rodd

"Nothing happened" ... Strange that, as this is a built in feature of FSX. Are you pressing the correct "key"? The "left bracket" key ( [ ) on a U.S. style keyboard is usually on the line above and to the left of the ENTER key. Pressing the "left bracket" key in FSX will (usually) pop open an extra window on top of whatever you have displayed at the time - on mine, this window opens in the top left of the main screen. Then use the "A" key to cycle the screen until you find the part of the VC that you want to have up. Then zoom and resize the window and drag it where you like. Refocus the main window before moving on and the pop-up will "stay" where you left it. Hope this helps.

Hi For my own use I have actually added two pop up windows for the EADI and EHSI, below is a screen shot of what I have installed, the only thing missing at this time is some way of initiating the pop ups without using a Shift + Number combination and although it has been a while since I did this one I seem to remember that just putting a pop up controller gauge on top of the original instruments does not work on this particular aircraft, and there are very few locations where a similar pop up control gauge could be added, in fact the only one that comes to mind is the weather radar location, but unfortunately I already use that area as does FS2Crew so it's a little bit crowded. I would package the mod up but the surrounds in the screen shot are ones that I borrowed from a gauge set that are payware so I could only give you the installation instructions for the bare EADI and EHSI gauges less the surrounds, unless I could find some suitable ones somewhere, just let me know if you want to try it out, but do be aware that this would be totally unsupported by PMDG so any issues should not be directed to them but if you should have any problems I will try my best to help if I can. For information you do get a very slight drop in the FPS but not an unreasonable one. I hope it's of some help. Jim Hodkinson

Very neat Jim! If you could perhaps give a quick rundown of what ya did - I assume it basically meant some new entries in the panel.cfg pointing to the VC gauge files? I think many here would love to give your little mod a try.

Hi Not a problem, and you are correct that it mainly consists of panel.cfg entries, that plus an additional gauge for controlling the pop-up EADI and EHSI. I am in the process of putting together an installation instructions readme now that I have found a surround that I can use and a location for the pop-up control gauge for the EADI and EHSI that works, but if you just want to have a look at what the bare EADI and EHSI gauges look like without the surround and pop-up control gauge then here you go.. Firstly and before anything else is done please make a copy of your Panel.cfg file and keep it in a safe location. OK with that out of the way here goes.. Using Notepad or similar open the file named Panel.cfg and follow the instructions below. Add to the [Window Titles] section of the Panel.cfg file…. Window05=EADIWindow06=EHSI So that it looks like this…. [Window Titles]Window00=GPSWindow01=Ramp ManagerWindow02=FMSWindow03=RMUWindow04=FCSWindow05=EADIWindow06=EHSI Then add the following new windows after the [Window04] section of the Panel.cfg file…. //--------------------------------------------------------[Window05]Background_color=0,0,0size_mm=514,570window_size_ratio=1.000 position=0visible=0ident=5020window_size= 0.300, 0.444window_pos= 0.010, 0.550zorder=11gauge00=PMDG_BAe_JS4100!EADI, 56,43,397,471,1 //--------------------------------------------------------[Window06]Background_color=0,0,0size_mm=428,476window_size_ratio=1.000 position=0visible=0ident=5021window_size= 0.300, 0.445window_pos= 0.320, 0.550zorder=12gauge00=PMDG_BAe_JS4100!EHSI, 34,49,357,367,1 And that’s about it really, you should be good to go less the control gauge and the surrounds of course. The main thing I have noticed is that on the initial opening of both the EADI and EHSI pop-ups is that it takes a second or two for the gauge to come to life but after the initial opening that no longer happens, and as for any FPS issues I have found a very slight drop but no more than you would expect from adding two more gauges to any panel. Let me know if you have any problems and I will try my best to help if I can. Take care, and have fun. Jim Hodkinson

Thanks Jim! Works great. I'm sure many would love a sticky on your future installation instructions. Only thing is I increased my EADI width just a bit - looks a little compressed to me.

Hi Patrick Glad to hear it all worked out OK, as for future installations I have just put together a full set of instructions along with the gauge surrounds and pop-up control gauge, but as I'm not to sure on the forum protocol for things like this I have not included a download link in this post but will send it to anyone that wants to try it out, just drop me a PM and I will send you the download link for the files and installation instructions. Take care, and have fun. Jim Hodkinson

Thanx JimAngel.gifExactly what I was looking for, but my popup EADI & EHSI freezes for say 5-10s then normal for 30-60s then freezes again....Any ideas? RegardsRodd

Hi Rod I have to say that I have not come across this one, but I do tend not to use the pop-ups for any extended period, mainly just during the take off and landing phases with a quick peek or two during the flight, it's entirely possible that trying to update four gauges for any length of time could and probably would cause the freeze / stutter that you are having, and the only thing I can think of is finding some way to close down the main VC panel EADI and EHSI when the pop-ups are active but as yet I don’t know if that would be possible as they are part of the VC layout. Not much help I know but at present it's the only thing I can think of, if anybody does have any suggestions I would be more than open to them, but until then let me have a think about this one, it may well be in the end that it can not be avoided but you never know. Jim Hodkinson