•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

FSX Database

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 corkyo4

corkyo4

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 5 Years and 30 Days Ago.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

Is there any software out there that allows you to update the FSX database??For starters when flying VOR to VOR sometimes the radio frequency doesnt recognise the VOR i am flying towards.Also there must have been changes/additions that FSX doesnt have.Any ideas?TomIGNORE THIS - IT SEEMS ITS NOT POSSIBLE
Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 dazz

dazz

Member - 4,000+

• Members
  • 4,942 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 9 Months and 3 Days Ago.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

I just switched to FSX. so no AFCADS in FSX?In FS9 you can edit/add facilities like airports with their VOR , NBD ILS... editing/creating AFCADs
Posted Image

#3 McCrash

McCrash

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,484 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 11 Months and 29 Days Ago.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

Is there any software out there that allows you to update the FSX database??For starters when flying VOR to VOR sometimes the radio frequency doesnt recognise the VOR i am flying towards.Also there must have been changes/additions that FSX doesnt have.Any ideas?TomIGNORE THIS - IT SEEMS ITS NOT POSSIBLE

It is possible and should be done!

#4 n4gix

n4gix

Forum Moderator

• 12,044 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 7 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

I just switched to FSX. so no AFCADS in FSX?In FS9 you can edit/add facilities like airports with their VOR , NBD ILS... editing/creating AFCADs

Well of course it's possible. In fact there are three new tools that may be used; two freeware and the third is payware.However, with >24,000 airports in FSX, it would be an impossible task to update and/or correct all of 'em once, let alone every AIRAC cycle!

Fr. Bill     us.png

Global Moderator

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

"It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading." (Shin'a'in Proverb)

avsim_logo_small-100x50.png

#5 rvb

rvb

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 5 Months and 6 Days Ago.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

I've search the whole thing but can't find an updated database. My question is : Why is the database not updated or will it never more been updated?

#6 tf51d

tf51d

Member - 5,000+

• Members
  • 5,365 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 8 Months and 16 Days Ago.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

Well of course it's possible. In fact there are three new tools that may be used; two freeware and the third is payware.However, with >24,000 airports in FSX, it would be an impossible task to update and/or correct all of 'em once, let alone every AIRAC cycle!

The tools available, (ADE, AFX, and Flight Planner) will allow you to modify airports but I'm not aware of any that will allow modification of the navigation DB of NAVAIDS such as VOR's and NDB's.
Thanks
Tom
My Youtube Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

#7 scott967

scott967

Member - 4,000+

• Members
  • 4,388 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 10 Months and 7 Days Ago.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Updating VORs and NDBs can be an issue in FSX. First, you need to keep in mind that there are actually two types of NDB, NDB and terminal_NDB. The terminal ones are associate with a specific airport and I think for the most part are compass locators, though I think you can give one any attribute. The VORs ad NDBs are created in the default NVX files which define the characteristics that the user aircraft radios and indicators respond to, and the symbology in the map/GPS. They also place a default library scenery object at their location. They also are scanned by FSX at startup and used to create a database that's stored in the all user appdata "FSX\facilities" folder.Separately, VORs typically are used in the IFR enroute airway system (V and J routes) and have waypoints associated with them in the matching ATX files. These waypoints will be used as anchors for the various airways which pass to/through them.Due to these considerations, attempting to change VOR and NDB data via addon scenery bgl files is problematic. There exists a tool for editing the NVX files (Easynavs) but that tool won't correct the ATX files and it has been reported that having mis-matches can cause FSX crashes.The sdk says an "Exclude=" line can be used in scenery.cfg with type set to VORs and/or NDBs, but I don't think it actually works.You can add new VORs and NDBs via addon scenery files, as well as associated waypoints and airway routes.scott s..