Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

BufferPool tweek clarification

Ok when this first hit the forum we were told to use[bUFFERPOOLS]Poolsize=0but I see now that the setting to use is:[bufferPools]UsePools=0So which way do we go?Thanks, Jim

Jim Wenham

Ok when this first hit the forum we were told to use[bUFFERPOOLS]Poolsize=0but I see now that the setting to use is:[bufferPools]UsePools=0So which way do we go?Thanks, Jim
It's all in the guide (that is meant to be read) so you know what are you are doing instead of blindly following advice. One Toggles the BufferPools On/Off the other changes their size. So, PoolSize=0 and UsePools=0 are effectively the exact, same thing. and Please, read the guide, otherwise your next post will be: 'I'm getting snow white dots with BP=0'

It's all in the guide (that is meant to be read) so you know what are you are doing instead of blindly following advice. One Toggles the BufferPools On/Off the other changes their size. So, PoolSize=0 and UsePools=0 are effectively the exact, same thing. and Please, read the guide, otherwise your next post will be: 'I'm getting snow white dots with BP=0'
With all due respect I have read the guide and am using UsePools=0 with great results I might add. So what you are saying is that if one wanted to use pools they would enter like this:[bufferPools]UsePools=1Poolsize=N (N being a users set value)What is the need to do that if the default is a poolsize of 4mb with no entry in the CFG?Do I understand this correctly?Thanks, Jim

Jim Wenham

What is the need to do that if the default is a poolsize of 4mb with no entry in the CFG?Do I understand this correctly?
Jim, you understood it correctly. if you were to use UsePools=1 WITHOUT a PoolSize entry, the value would be 4mb UsePools=0 negates the effect EVEN if you had a PoolSize entry there.

Hello JesusI using a external FPS limiter which is set for26. My Upper frame rate is set to unlimited. I I set my TBM-400 and TML=30. I flew from KSLC to KSEA using a complex aircraft. I'm using FTX's PNW and GEpro, UT USA. The whole flight went great except when I was taxing to the gate at SEA, my whole computer froze up. I had to reboot to use computer again. So should I relax the TBM or the TML settings. or both. I think I'm pushing my GPU to the max. I have a 8800GTX 768mb card.Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

I set my TBM-400 and TML=30. I flew from KSLC to KSEA using a complex aircraft. I'm using FTX's PNW and GEpro, UT USA. The whole flight went great except when I was taxing to the gate at SEA, my whole computer froze up.
Try reducing TML to 9, 30 (for your video card) seems overkill!! (don't worry about TBM, its ignored with unlimited) also, have your tried AffinityMask 12? give it a try you should have a smoother flight and it will be easier on the card because of the reduced texture manager threads.

Try reducing TML to 9, 30 (for your video card) seems overkill!! (don't worry about TBM, its ignored with unlimited) also, have your tried AffinityMask 12? give it a try you should have a smoother flight and it will be easier on the card because of the reduced texture manager threads.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the Affinity mask was for use pre FSX sp1 release. I thought the multi thread handling issue was solved in the SP2 and Acceleration releases. Could you explain furher, I'm running FSX accel. I will reduce my TML to 9.Thanks again

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

also, have your tried AffinityMask 12? give it a try you should have a smoother flight and it will be easier on the card because of the reduced texture manager threads.
Hi *******,I'm running 2xQX9775 (2 Quad-Cores / 8 Physical Cores total) Would you please tell me what would "n" = for AffinityMask for moving the "main scheduler" from CPU0 Core0 to Core1. Using the Calc in Windows 01111111 appears to = 127. This is correct or?Btw, thanks for all the work you put into / sharing the BP, HIGHMEMFIX & other "optional 'tweaks'". Very much appreciated!

I'm running 2xQX9775 (2 Quad-Cores / 8 Physical Cores total) Would you please tell me what would "n" = for AffinityMask for moving the "main scheduler" from CPU0 Core0 to Core1. Using the Calc in Windows 01111111 appears to = 127. This is correct or?
No, its the other way around.. 11111110 = 254However, the 'increased' number of cores, should NOT give you any benefit, FSX scales well UP TO 3 Cores, after that, you are simply adding 'texture manager, terrain and Object batching threads' which, ONLY help like in 10 years from now ;) if you want the 'ultimate' experience with your current setup, use something like:11001000 = 200remeber, the '0's are disabled CORE's but you have to 'turn it around' like this:11001000 => 00010011 which means:your first 3 cores Disabled, 4th CORE doing the main scheduler (on the first physical CPU) and the last two cores on your second physical CPU doing Texture Manager/Terrain/Batching.you can then run task manager and confirm this is the case... don't blindly believe what you read... test test test ;)

Ok thanks for that *******.No, the Octa wasn't built for FSX (built 2 years ago). I was heavy into computer chess and typically, more cores = more wins... although there are diminishing returns even as decent of MP engines that they are. Some scale better than others.That was a major disappointment for me (late 2006) when I realized the FSX was going to be SP. I had hoped they were going to be blazing a MP trail like Valve's Half-Life Ep. 2, but alas... Yes, I will try to watch Taskmgr, but thought I wouldn't really be able to see much in the way of shifting the main scheduler to another core (is why I wanted to verify the proper "n" number). I use Taskmgr to Set Affinity to the 2nd CPU for certain programs running during FSX like Hamachi, FSHost, FSFK etc... it seems to help (no before/after tests run like Gary Dunne's (RESET MCP ALT) FSXMark07.The Octa is quite finicky with FSX and core usage (unlike a MP Chess Engine) at least from what I remember 2 years or so ago when I tried isolating say to the 2nd CPU etc... it would noticeably cut down FPS. But by golly I can't remember if I did the isolating with AffinityMask or using Set Affinity in Taskmgr... probably Set Affinity. I'm not much of a tweaker... I try to get to an "acceptable" level because I abide by the phrase, "I'd rather be Flying." :(Really looking forward to checking out how well the Octa plays with your settings (after being RMA'd two weeks ago, the motherboard arrived as I am typing this! ) so am gearing up! Thanks again!

Yes, I will try to watch Taskmgr, but thought I wouldn't really be able to see much in the way of shifting the main scheduler to another core
You can, just go to an irregular terrain area in FSX, and fly around it with the frames set to unlimited an Vsync OFF and you'll see the fiber (CPU0) and Main scheduler in action ;) and, if you want the 'real' actual CPU usage in the main scheduler, get an external frame rate limiter, and see what happens when FSX is set to unlimited, BUT, LIMITED externally to say 25, 30 .. check how the cores behave :) this is a great way to 'balance' things, so you know whats really going on. The only thing that you REALLY need to know, is that the fibers don't care about AffinityMask, they will always run on CORE0. So, thats why it is a good idea to take the main scheduler out of there! now, this cheduler runs on a SINGLE CORE, the 'rest' of the excess horse power, FSX will use it for texture manager/terrain/batching, which, again.. just ONE CORE is more than enough, the more you have, the more (pre-batching) happens in the background and with BP=0 this might no be a good idea. It's a balancing act ;) besides.. I don't know exactly how Adam manage to handle fibers and so many threads (if you have lots of them) running, syncrozing stuff... must be a nightmare.. so, you better off not using so many cores ;) to me, the 'ideal' FSX setup should run, Fibers (Core0) Main Scheduler (Core1) and texman (core3) you don't need more than that.

You can, just go to an irregular terrain area in FSX, and fly around it with the frames set to unlimited an Vsync OFF and you'll see the fiber (CPU0) and Main scheduler in action ;) and, if you want the 'real' actual CPU usage in the main scheduler, get an external frame rate limiter, and see what happens when FSX is set to unlimited, BUT, LIMITED externally to say 25, 30 .. check how the cores behave :) this is a great way to 'balance' things, so you know whats really going on. The only thing that you REALLY need to know, is that the fibers don't care about AffinityMask, they will always run on CORE0. So, thats why it is a good idea to take the main scheduler out of there! now, this cheduler runs on a SINGLE CORE, the 'rest' of the excess horse power, FSX will use it for texture manager/terrain/batching, which, again.. just ONE CORE is more than enough, the more you have, the more (pre-batching) happens in the background and with BP=0 this might no be a good idea. It's a balancing act ;) besides.. I don't know exactly how Adam manage to handle fibers and so many threads (if you have lots of them) running, syncrozing stuff... must be a nightmare.. so, you better off not using so many cores ;) to me, the 'ideal' FSX setup should run, Fibers (Core0) Main Scheduler (Core1) and texman (core3) you don't need more than that.
Well, it is a close thing between Affinity mask 15,14, or 12 on my Q6600... but 14 gives me the smoothest flying, so maybehaving two cores doing texture loading work is OK, at least on my rig :( This is with the external FPS limiter at 24.

Bert

So Bojote,you mean AffinityMask=14 is also best for the i7's with 8 Threads? I am having 8 Threads, what Cores should I use for FSX in your opinion?

So Bojote,you mean AffinityMask=14 is also best for the i7's with 8 Threads? I am having 8 Threads, what Cores should I use for FSX in your opinion?
You are seeing 8 because you have hyperthreading turned on in you BIOS. It is best to turn off HT as it does zip for FSX. It is better to have it on for video or movie making apps.

Jim Wenham