Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

New i7 build - 960 or 930?

Hi everyone, I am about to build a new system using the following parts from Newegg, all for under $1500.Intel Core i7-960 3.2ghzAntec 900 CaseAsus P6X58D-E Motherboard (was going to get the P6X58D Premium, but can do without the 2nd Ethernet port and onboard reset button)Thermalright U120extreme 1366RT CPU cooler with fanASUS VW246H 24" Monitor (still deciding on a 23-24" monitor under $300)Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB 1600 (PC3 12800) memory (part 998805 with 6-8-6-24 timing, no heatsinks on chips)The PSU and graphics card will be pulled from my current system: Silverstone SST-ST70F 700w PSU / XFX Nvidia GTX 260 896MB GPUI narrowed down my search for components by reading what others have mentioned in this forum, but was curious if there is really any advantage to FSX in going with the 960 i7 vs the much cheaper i7 930. I'm not really into other games, except Unreal Tournament 3, and that runs just fine with my current system (specs listed in my signature). I have successfully overclocked my current e8600 to a stable 4.4ghz, but I understand that I will have a smoother system for FSX with this new system because of the new i7 technologies and triple channel memory. I plan to o/c the 960 of course, but will a similarly o/c'd 930 be just as effective for FSX? The 960 is $569.99, the 930 $289.99Regarding the memory, I chose it because of NickN's suggestion to Idahosurge since it is 6 latency and very nice timings, but Idaho's modules had even better timings but the module was discontinued. I'm fine with this new model, but noticed it isn't offered with a heatsink. Newegg has another module with the same timings called the Ridgeback with heatsink for only $10 more (part 998826), but its listed as unbuffered and no ECC. Should that be a concern when I overclock?I'd appreciate any advice. I'm planning to make the purchase this Sunday.Thanks!

2 suggestions:1) since you'll be overclocking: get the 930 - there's no point in buying a faster chip unless you're getting an Extreme edition with an unlocked clock multiplier2) If you have a MicroCenter nearby, do yourself a favor and stop in to pick up a 930 for $199. Newegg's CPU prices suck compared to MicroCenter.

Yep, I happen to live nearby a MicroCenter, and if I was to go with the 960 i7 would buy from them instead of Newegg, but they don't carry the 960. But they do have the 930 and I was aware of the big discount they offer.

IMHO, go for the i7 - 930!
One more question, with the i7 920 it was recommended to get the d0 stepping part. Does that advice hold true for the i7 930, or are all 930 equally optimized for overclocking ability?

Thanks for the replies. After plenty of research, I decided on the following build and have ordered all the parts. I picked up a i7 930 for $199 from Microcenter, and hope to have the build completed by the end of the week, pending delivery of everything else from Newegg and Amazon.Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Amazon.com)CPU: Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor (Microcenter)Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX (Newegg)Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model (Newegg)CPU Cooler: Thermalright U120 eXtreme 1366RT R-C 120mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler (Zipzoomfly.com)Monitor: LG W2453V-PF Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor (Newegg)Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM (To replace IDE dvd writer I currently use) (Newegg) And the PSU and graphics card will be pulled from my previous system:PSU: Silverstone SST-ST70F 700w GPU: XFX Black Edition Nvidia GTX 260 896MB I hope to eventually o/c to 3.8-4.0 ghz. What is the highest stable clock I can expect with the system as listed?

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Amazon.com)CPU: Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor (Microcenter)Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX (Newegg)Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model (Newegg)CPU Cooler: Thermalright U120 eXtreme 1366RT R-C 120mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler I hope to eventually o/c to 3.8-4.0 ghz. What is the highest stable clock I can expect with the system as listed?
Hi A.J.The i7 930 is a rocketship that is easily oveclocked to a very stable 4.34 (207x21) with good air cooling. My cpu tempertures at overclock idle are around 40C and max out on OCCT test in the high 60s C. Those are good equipment choices you made IMHO.Stephen

Cool, I'm hoping to reach that kind of speed. In my current e8600 cpu, I o/c'd to 4.44 ghz, and was hoping to have a similar clock with the i7 930. I originally thought getting the 960 I could o/c to a higher max speed vs the 930, are they basically the same exact chip with the difference being the stock clock speeds?Theoretically, could the 960 o/c to a higher stable speed than the 930? This is moot at this point since I already chose the 930 over the 960, but was just curious, and I'm happy I'm saving money in the end not getting the 960.Will FSX run smoother on the i7 at 4.3 ghz vs the e8600 at 4.44 ghz? I use the fps limiter tool to run FSX at 30 fps, but do notice slowdowns at large airports with heavy AI and weather and the occasional stutter, not to mention bad stuttering at the end of long flights between complex addon airports. I'm hoping this situation will improve with my new system, not to mention 6 gigs of triple channel memory vs the current system's 4 gig dual channel setup.

Cool, I'm hoping to reach that kind of speed. In my current e8600 cpu, I o/c'd to 4.44 ghz, and was hoping to have a similar clock with the i7 930. I originally thought getting the 960 I could o/c to a higher max speed vs the 930, are they basically the same exact chip with the difference being the stock clock speeds?Theoretically, could the 960 o/c to a higher stable speed than the 930? This is moot at this point since I already chose the 930 over the 960, but was just curious, and I'm happy I'm saving money in the end not getting the 960.
Exact same chip but the 960 are binned higher. However that does not necessarily means a better overclocker for above 4ghz. vcore requirements tend to increase quickly above 4ghz no matter what chip you are using.
Will FSX run smoother on the i7 at 4.3 ghz vs the e8600 at 4.44 ghz?
Definitely! I upgraded from a quad Q9650 at 4.4ghz to a i7 930 at 4.4ghz too and the difference was very very significant.

Yay, most of the parts have arrived. Just waiting on the CPU cooler and a SATA dvd burner/reader to arrive by Thursday and I'll be good to go. I will be using my current system for the next few weeks while I fiddle around with the new beast next to it so I can patiently reinstall FSX and all my old software on it, as well as test overclock settings. I am going to move my current PSU and vidcard to the new system, and put an old 500w PSU and a cheap Nvidia 9500 GT vidcard I just bought from Amazon into the old system to tide me over until I find a stable o/c setting for the new 930 i7.I can't wait to see the improvement in FSX!

A.J.,This is the fun part. :( -Setting up and enjoying your new machine! Your i 930 will make you a happy camper.Stephen

A.J., This is the fun part. :Big Grin: -Setting up and enjoying your new machine! Your i 930 will make you a happy camper. Stephen
Hey Stephen, I'm in the process of researching parts for a new rig build. I was hoping you can answer a question. I am looking at the i5 2500k rather than the i7 2600k as I understand they are both the same CPUs excpet that the 2600 is hyperthreading enabled, Is this correct? Apart from this is there any perrformance difference aa I see you have ther i7 2600k?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey Stephen, I'm in the process of researching parts for a new rig build. I was hoping you can answer a question. I am looking at the i5 2500k rather than the i7 2600k as I understand they are both the same CPUs excpet that the 2600 is hyperthreading enabled, Is this correct? Apart from this is there any perrformance difference aa I see you have ther i7 2600k?
2600K also has a larger cache than the 2500K