Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Avg. Disk Queue Length > 10 for short periods (stress testing)

Hi,I'm doing some stress tests with ORBX PNW, Extremely Dense AutoGen and:TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=6000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=6000I can see in the performance counter that the Avg. Disk Queue Length goes over 10 for short periods of time, the disk is a 300GB velociraptor (10K RPM) I understand that the 'test' is not realistic at all, I'm just curious to see how an SSD drive manages this monster load. My CPU/GPU (specs in my sig) are under 60% during this test. Would others (specially the ones with SSD drives) care to test? this is a realistic measure to determine if your disk is a limiting factor on your install.

Hi,I'm doing some stress tests with ORBX PNW, Extremely Dense AutoGen and:TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=6000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=6000I can see in the performance counter that the Avg. Disk Queue Length goes over 10 for short periods of time, the disk is a 300GB velociraptor (10K RPM) I understand that the 'test' is not realistic at all, I'm just curious to see how an SSD drive manages this monster load. My CPU/GPU (specs in my sig) are under 60% during this test. Would others (specially the ones with SSD drives) care to test? this is a realistic measure to determine if your disk is a limiting factor on your install.
Which tool are you using to indicate the Disk Queue length?

Bert

Which tool are you using to indicate the Disk Queue length?
Windows 7 built in tool I guess - Computer Management -> Performance, then have to set it up.

Have some wired issues with PerfMon on my Win 7. "Unable to add these counters"....Trying to resolve this issue and report back.Edit: works now: Use this command in a CMD Session: "lodctr /r"With TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=6000 and TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=6000 my System crashes. Have to reduce LOD Radius to 4.5 (now at 6.5)