Sign in to follow this  
bojote

bojote's fsx.cfg file

Guest jahman

Enrico,If possible, best is to turn-off hyperthreading in your BIOS, to keep unused HT-related circuitry in your CPU from generating heat. Your affinity mask then becomes simpler too! :-)Cheers,- jahman.

If possible, best is to turn-off hyperthreading in your BIOS, to keep unused HT-related circuitry in your CPU from generating heat.
Thanks for the advice, Jahman! All in all then there would be any *performance* imporovement, or just only less heat?Second, can anyone confirm that running FSX on virtual cores (aka on 'secondary' threads, as ******* points out), results in worse performance than running on physical cores (aka 'primary' threads)?Cheers! Enrico

I've FSX with Acceleration Pack (SP2) installed and running. Currently, I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with 4GB RAM and an old AMD x2 4600+ (2 physical cores) and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 260. That keeps me asking 2/3 questions to improve the visual quality inside FSX...-- Am I doing things right, if I disable DX10preview-mode in order to benefit from Bojote's Shader 3.0Mod?-- Can a [JOBSCHEDULER]-section within my fsx.cfg improve anything or should I leave things in a default state due to just 2 physical cores available? This leads to the question --> 'AffinityMask=xx' - Which numbers have to be entered to fully use 2 cores on a 2-core machine?best regards,toby

Hello Bojote,I used your cfg with my i5+HD5850 and it is great :( It increased my fps and stuttering is gone. But I still have a problems with scenery loading. It loads only about 500m radius and everything above this radius is very blurry. I tried everything, many tweaks, many settings, external frame limiter, Lod radius from 4.5 to 5.5 as far as 10.5 and nothing helps.I need some other ideas how to solve this. It looks you have skills with FSX, do you know how to reduce the blurries? This is my newest picture, GEX USA installed, FS Global installed and Resolution per pixel is set to 7cm.http://img517.imageshack.us/i/beznz.jpg/Thank you, Karolina

Hello Bojote,I used your cfg with my i5+HD5850 and it is great :( It increased my fps and stuttering is gone. But I still have a problems with scenery loading. It loads only about 500m radius and everything above this radius is very blurry. I tried everything, many tweaks, many settings, external frame limiter, Lod radius from 4.5 to 5.5 as far as 10.5 and nothing helps.I need some other ideas how to solve this. It looks you have skills with FSX, do you know how to reduce the blurries? This is my newest picture, GEX USA installed, FS Global installed and Resolution per pixel is set to 7cm.http://img517.images...us/i/beznz.jpg/Thank you, Karolina
Hey Karolina!My experience is that too low a setting for fiberframetime delays texture loading. If you used Bojote's setting, try changing it to 0.33 instead or remove the entry in your config completely./Mattias

Hi all,I have added the following "custom entries to my FSX.cfg file:[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=10[bUFFERPOOLS]UsePools=0RejectThreshold=98304PoolSize=2097152[Display]TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40TextureMaxLoad=21This is based on info I have sifted from mainly ******* (bojote) information on these forums. Apart from the HIGHMEMFIX, I am not sure of how much value any of these others are? One thing I am confused about is the STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=10 as previously this was also suggested to be 2147483647. This is a massive difference?! I also see some CFG's posted here where HIGHMEXFIX=1 is added but the STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD entry does not exist under [GRAPHICS]. So what should I use?I don't want to understand the intricacies and detailed theory of these commands, just to know I am using the "best practise" settings.Cheers,

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Hi all,I don't want to understand the intricacies and detailed theory of these commands, just to know I am using the "best practise" settings.Cheers,
Short answer, no, you are not using best practices settings. 1) The STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD is only effective when the UsePools option is active (e.g UsePools=1) AND 2147483647 is a WRONG value for it. It was corrected long ago. The valid ranges for STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD are 5-1024 and it is the NUMBER of 'frames ahead' that will be 'stored' in the bufferpools. Default is 60, lower values will 'ease' GPU load but induce stutters, Higher values will increase GPU load but get rid of stutters almost completely, as all tweaks, YMMV. I suggest that you set STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD to 30, 60 or 120. use higher values or fast video cards. 2) RejectThreshold is ONLY effective if you are using bufferpools (e.g UsePools=1) 3) TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT is ONLY used when you limit frames INSIDE FSX, if you run FSX with frames set to unlimited this value is irrelevant and TextureMaxLoad takes over. 21 is a good value.The only changes I would suggest:Change UsePools to 1Set FSX frames to UNLIMITEDChange STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD to 30Use an EXTERNAL FPS limiter instead of the internal one.Thats all.

Hi bojote,Awesome, thanks for the tips. I will make the changes right now. I was seeing a few occasional stutters, hopefully this will solve that. What is the general choice of external FPS limiters?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Hi bojote,Awesome, thanks for the tips. I will make the changes right now. I was seeing a few occasional stutters, hopefully this will solve that. What is the general choice of external FPS limiters?
There's only one I know of. Its in the library I think. Frame rate limiter v0.2

Hi,I found the bellow but it is to hard to test from my laptop[Main]MIN_FIBER_TIME_SEC=????MAX_FIBER_TIME_SEC=????[TERRAIN]MIN_OBJECT_SHADOW_LEVEL=????IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGONS=???MIN_VECTOR_DATA_LEVEL=???[DISPLAY.Device.ATI Mobility Radeon X2300.0]TextureCache=????TextureForce=????[Display]TaxiwaySignSizeFactor=?????I do not know the default values alsoRegards,Achilles

[Main]MIN_FIBER_TIME_SEC=????MAX_FIBER_TIME_SEC=????
The above its an alternative to FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION, could never see any diff or performance benefit.
[TERRAIN]MIN_OBJECT_SHADOW_LEVEL=????IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGONS=???MIN_VECTOR_DATA_LEVEL=???
IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGONS The value of this setting is set at the minimum, 16, and can be any value up to 2048. The higher the number the more accurately a curved polygon will be rasterized. The value 16 indicates a rasterization of approximately 80 meters down to approximately 0.5 meter accuracy for the 2048 setting. There is a performance penalty with the time it takes to rasterize a region, and the memory required for the resulting sampling bitmap. (info taken from ESP docs)MIN_VECTOR_DATA_LEVEL No idea, but it will mess up roads and riversMIN_OBJECT_SHADOW_LEVEL = No idea
[DISPLAY.Device.ATI Mobility Radeon X2300.0]TextureCache=????TextureForce=????[Display]TaxiwaySignSizeFactor=?????I do not know the default values also
No idea..None of the above values will impact performance, at least, in a measurable way.

Latest Version (the same used to capture my recent videos)Use only for reference/benchmarking. backup your fsx.cfg try this one only for comparison.To go directly to your fsx.cfg directory simply press the WIN key + R and enter this text: %APPDATA%\Microsoft Games\FSXthen press <ENTER> You'll rename your fsx.cfg first (to back it up) and copy the following code inside a new fsx.cfg:

//// FSX Config File By ******* Altuve (Bojote) // Last Revision Nov 12, 2010 (FINAL REVISION)// *** This file has been tweaked to run maximum performance, looks and stability// *** ONLY TO BE USED ON i7's running >= 4.0Ghz and GTX 480's. Do not change ANY // *** value, otherwise the achieved balance will be lost, also Remember to LIMIT // *** your frames using an external limiter @ exactly 30 FPS and select AA and // *** AnisoFiltering inside FSX, set driver to application controlled.// ***[bufferPools]UsePools=1 // Setting this to 1 will turn the BufferPools ON (stability), setting it to 0 disables them (Performance).RejectThreshold=98304PoolSize=8388608 // Defines an 8MB BufferPool[FSDREAMTEAM]AntiPopUp=30AltitudeCull=1[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1ALLOW_SHADER_30=1ForceFullScreenVSync=1ForceWindowedVSync=1TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024NUM_LIGHTS=8AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=0COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1AC_SELF_SHADOW=1EFFECTS_QUALITY=2GROUND_SHADOWS=0TEXTURE_QUALITY=3See_Self=1Text_Scroll=0D3D10=0IMAGE_QUALITY=0[Display]UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30TextureMaxLoad=30ChangeTime=4.000000TransitionTime=4.000000ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoBrakesEnable=FalseInfoParkingBrakesEnable=FalseInfoPauseEnable=TrueInfoSlewEnable=TrueInfoStallEnable=FalseInfoOverspeedEnable=FalseBLOOM_EFFECTS=0SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1WideViewAspect=True[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=6000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=6000BATCH_AUTOGEN2=1LOD_RADIUS=4.500000AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5MESH_COMPLEXITY=100MESH_RESOLUTION=22TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=6SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2 // The number of frames the terrain engine will wait before loading new textures from MEMORY[Main]FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=1DisablePreload=0User Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\AirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\RotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\BoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\AnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc// SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\MyTrafficX// SimObjectPaths.7=Aircraft// SimObjectPaths.8=SimObjects\AI// SimObjectPaths.9=SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft// SimObjectPaths.10=SimObjects\AIComplex// SimObjectPaths.11=SimObjects\WOAIMaximized=1HideMenuNormal=1HideMenuFullscreen=1[sCENERY]// MissingLibraryAlert=1// ShowMissingTextureAlert=1MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=4 // Default is 1 (Should match the number of texture manager threads)// ObjectsToBatchPerFrame=500LENSFLARE=1DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5[Weather]WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1MinGustTime=10MaxGustTime=500MinGustRampSpeed=1MaxGustRampSpeed=200MinVarTime=5MaxVarTime=50MinVarRampSpeed=10MaxVarRampSpeed=75TurbulenceScale=0.750000WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1DynamicWeather=0DownloadWindsAloft=1DisableTurbulence=0CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=4DETAILED_CLOUDS=1CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8THERMAL_VISUALS=1WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.comWeatherServerPort=80[sOUND]AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000SOUND=1SOUND_QUALITY=2SOUND_LOD=1UISound=1AmbientUI=0SOUND_FADER1=0.150000SOUND_FADER2=0.400000SOUND_FADER3=0.450000SOUND_FADER4=-0.400000AmbientUIMusic=FSX01[PANELS]VIRTUAL_COCKPIT_TEXTURES_SCALE=2.0 // Default is 1.0IMAGE_QUALITY=1QUICKTIPS=0PANEL_OPACITY=100PANEL_MASKING=1PANEL_STRETCHING=1UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0DEFAULT_VIEW=1[CONTROLS]Controls_Default=StandardControls_Current=StandardKBDAIL=64KBDELEV=64KBDRUD=64force_master_gain=10000force_stick_force_enabled=0force_stick_shaker_enabled=0force_gear_bump_enabled=0force_crash_enabled=0force_ground_bumps_enabled=0force_master_enabled=0[TextInfo.1]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6[TextInfo.2]FrameRate=1,1LockedFrameRate=1,2GForce=1,3FuelPercentage=1,4[TextInfo.3]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6FrameRate=2,1LockedFrameRate=2,2GForce=2,3FuelPercentage=2,4[slewTextInfo.1]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5[slewTextInfo.2]FrameRate=1,1LockedFrameRate=1,2[slewTextInfo.3]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5FrameRate=2,1LockedFrameRate=2,2[DynamicHeadMovement]LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000MaxHeadAngle=5.000000MaxHeadOffset=0.300000HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000[VirtualCopilot]VirtualCopilotActive=0[uSERINTERFACE]PageID=1OpenATCOnCreate=0SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1Map_Orientation=0ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1SelectAircraftManufacturer=AllSelectAircraftPublisher=AllSelectAircraftType=AllDisplayFuelAsWeight=0[ATC]ShowATCText=0COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFFCOMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21BCOMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=0UsePilotVoice=0PilotVoice=458752[PointOfInterestSystem]CycleSetting=2[TrafficManager]AirlineDensity=0GADensity=0FreewayDensity=0ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0LeisureBoatsDensity=0IFROnly=0AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0[AContain]ShowLabels=0ShowUserLabel=0ShowLabelManufacturer=0ShowLabelModel=1ShowLabelTailNumber=0ShowLabelDistance=1ShowLabelAltitude=1ShowLabelAirline=1ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0ShowLabelFlightPlan=0ShowLabelContainerId=0ShowLabelAirspeed=0ShowLabelHeading=0LabelDelay=1000LabelColor=FFFF0000[iNTERNATIONAL]ASLAT=2ASLON=1MEASURE=0[REALISM]PFactor=1.000000Torque=1.000000GyroEffect=1.000000CrashTolerance=1.000000General=1.000000UnlimitedFuel=FalseTrueAirspeed=FalseAutoCoord=FalseRealMixture=TrueStressDamage=FalseGEffect=FalseManualLights=TrueGyroDrift=TrueCrashWithDyn=FalseCrashDetection=FalseAutoTrim=False[sIM]SYSCLOCK=1[sTARTUP]DEMO=0SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1STARTUP_DEMO=LoadWindow=1[FACILITIES]COUNTRY=STATE=CITY=GTL_BUTTON=1492[Misc]Com_Rate=7[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]SHOW_AIRPORTS=0SHOW_VORS=0SHOW_NDBS=0SHOW_APPROACHES=0SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=0SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1[FlightPlanMap]LineWidth=2SHOW_AIRPORTS=1SHOW_VORS=1SHOW_NDBS=1SHOW_APPROACHES=1SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=1SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1show_waypoints=1show_airways=1show_markers=1show_volume_boundaries=1show_ac_twr=1[MAPVIEW_MAP]SHOW_AIRPORTS=1SHOW_VORS=1SHOW_NDBS=1SHOW_APPROACHES=1SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=1SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1show_flight_history=1[WeatherMap]SHOW_AIRPORTS=0SHOW_VORS=0SHOW_NDBS=0SHOW_APPROACHES=0SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=0SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1

A few pages back someone said the max value for the Affinity Mask is 255, now I've rethought through the Affinity Mask values and using the WindowsCalc it came up with a max decimal value of 2,147,483,647 which equals a total binary value of 0111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111This is not an absolute answer to the affinity mask values, just the max positive number that can be achieved in a 32bit decimal with out ending with -2, so theoretically FSX can use up to 31 cores with a value of 2,147,483,647 and 32 cores with a value of -2.

Guest jahman
A few pages back someone said the max value for the Affinity Mask is 255, now I've rethought through the Affinity Mask values and using the WindowsCalc it came up with a max decimal value of 2,147,483,647 which equals a total binary value of 0111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111This is not an absolute answer to the affinity mask values, just the max positive number that can be achieved in a 32bit decimal with out ending with -2, so theoretically FSX can use up to 31 cores with a value of 2,147,483,647 and 32 cores with a value of -2.
Not quite! The maximum value of the Affinity Mask is indeed 255 (decimal), i.e. 11111111 in binary!Cheers,- jahman