Sign in to follow this  
bojote

bojote's fsx.cfg file

Not quite! The maximum value of the Affinity Mask is indeed 255 (decimal), i.e. 11111111 in binary!Cheers,- jahman
... I just saying, not stating. Anyways; how did you come up with 255 as the limit?

... I just saying, not stating. Anyways; how did you come up with 255 as the limit?
..probaby Aces decided to devote one byte as that parameter's field size.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hello Bojote, It loads only about 500m radius and everything above this radius is very blurry. I tried everything, many tweaks, many settings, external frame limiter, Lod radius from 4.5 to 5.5 as far as 10.5 and nothing helps.Thank you, Karolina
Sorry, I'm not Bojote, but make sure your (Graphics tab) Global Texture Resolution slider is set full right.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

..probaby Aces decided to devote one byte as that parameter's field size.
Hmm...Thinking.gif

Hmm...Thinking.gif
Yeah the MS calculator can play tricks, can't it? :(

Guest freebird77
A few pages back someone said the max value for the Affinity Mask is 255, now I've rethought through the Affinity Mask values and using the WindowsCalc it came up with a max decimal value of 2,147,483,647 which equals a total binary value of 0111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111This is not an absolute answer to the affinity mask values, just the max positive number that can be achieved in a 32bit decimal with out ending with -2, so theoretically FSX can use up to 31 cores with a value of 2,147,483,647 and 32 cores with a value of -2.
That is interesting because when Aces was doing promotional/marketing work with Intel Aces stated that FSX could handle up to -->32 cores

Does anyone have three 12 core Opteron's they'd like to use for testing the affinity mask limits?

Guest PFL

Bojote: I tried your latest CFG just for kicks on my ASUS G73JH - i7 720QM 2.9 Ghz (Turbo Boost) with the ATI 5870, and the CPU temps went thru the roof, 86 C!But the performance increase is great, eventhough the ATI 5870 is chugging along with only 50% use...Do you have any idea/tweaks to push more work through the GPU, offloading the CPU a bit?

Bojote: I tried your latest CFG just for kicks on my ASUS G73JH - i7 720QM 2.9 Ghz (Turbo Boost) with the ATI 5870, and the CPU temps went thru the roof, 86 C!But the performance increase is great, eventhough the ATI 5870 is chugging along with only 50% use...Do you have any idea/tweaks to push more work through the GPU, offloading the CPU a bit?
Try UsePools=0

CPU temps went thru the roof, 86 C!
I run an i7 @ 4.2 air cooled, FSX is probably the ONLY product that (no matter what I do) will NOT get past 60C... you *DEFINITELY* without any doubt have a major cooling problem -or- you are running more than 4 cores. Anyway, 86C is too much for FSX!!! So is suggest you do some stability testing first before applying any tweaks!
Try UsePools=0
[bufferPools] RejectThreshold=98304 This one will:1) Increase GPU usage considerably (more than UsePools=0)2) Reduce CPU load considerably (Less than only having UsePools=0)The above 'RejectThreshold' simply balances the 'load' of vertex data rendered in-sim. A portion will use the bufferpools the other will go directly to the card. Of ALL combinations you can use the above is the one that will provide the 'least' CPU usage.

I run an i7 @ 4.2 air cooled, FSX is probably the ONLY product that (no matter what I do) will NOT get past 60C... you *DEFINITELY* without any doubt have a major cooling problem -or- you are running more than 4 cores. Anyway, 86C is too much for FSX!!! So is suggest you do some stability testing first before applying any tweaks![bufferPools] RejectThreshold=98304 This one will:1) Increase GPU usage considerably (more than UsePools=0)2) Reduce CPU load considerably (Less than only having UsePools=0)The above 'RejectThreshold' simply balances the 'load' of vertex data rendered in-sim. A portion will use the bufferpools the other will go directly to the card. Of ALL combinations you can use the above is the one that will provide the 'least' CPU usage.
Which CPU cooler are you using?

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

Hey bojote,1) Maybe it's a good idea to put the new CFG on the 1st page?2) I'd like a 'medium-end' CFG, if possible? :( You've posted a cfg for high and low end, but my laptop (which i use for gaming via external key/mouse/screen) is exactly in between.I have a i7 720qm (~2ghz in FSX), 4GB ram and Ati Mobility 4670 1GB3) Why have you turned UsePools to 1 ? Wasn't this YOUR tweak?Thanks!

Guest PFL
I run an i7 @ 4.2 air cooled, FSX is probably the ONLY product that (no matter what I do) will NOT get past 60C... you *DEFINITELY* without any doubt have a major cooling problem -or- you are running more than 4 cores. Anyway, 86C is too much for FSX!!! So is suggest you do some stability testing first before applying any tweaks![bufferPools] RejectThreshold=98304 This one will:1) Increase GPU usage considerably (more than UsePools=0)2) Reduce CPU load considerably (Less than only having UsePools=0)The above 'RejectThreshold' simply balances the 'load' of vertex data rendered in-sim. A portion will use the bufferpools the other will go directly to the card. Of ALL combinations you can use the above is the one that will provide the 'least' CPU usage.
Yep, it´s hot, and it´s a problem with this model...This setting solved the problems, GPU load now 87% - CPU temps around 75 C.Thanks!

Hey bojote,1) Maybe it's a good idea to put the new CFG on the 1st page?
I can't ;)
2) I'd like a 'medium-end' CFG, if possible? :(
You'll be able to this 'shortly' I'm working on a service called: 'FSX Tweaking & Tuning Tool' It's an online service to 'check' your fsx.cfg and recommend settings based on your hardware. Its progressing nicely. ;)
3) Why have you turned UsePools to 1 ? Wasn't this YOUR tweak?
UsePools=0 gives you a more 'consistent' experience with no stutters on 'heavy' scenery areas, but it also 'lowers' your overall FPS if you are flying in complex scenery AND if you have the Vsync option in FSX set to on. So, the only way to take that FPS back is to 'balance' things a bit, meaning, use the BufferPools but ONLY for 'small' chunks of vertex data, so it is much more efficient and you make better use of your Video Card capabilities. This is achieved using the RejectThreshold setting. The 'optimal' setting being 'exactly' 96KB ;) any lower and you loose the benefits of the BufferPool, any higher and you make the CPU work harder. This is, of course my 'system' optimal setting. It will vary from hardware to hardware.
Which CPU cooler are you using?
A Noctua. Don't remember the model.. I bought my stuff in newegg exactly a year 1/2 ago. This thing overclocked to 4.2 very easily, so I guess I was lucky. (I NEVER had any luck overlocking in the past) I always got the 'bad' chips.

I can't ;)
Don't be so shy , just ask !!!! :(

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.