Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

Carenado Repainting Tutorial

Here's a little tutorial I cooked up this afternoon for painting Carenado aircraft (or any plane where there's no layered paint kit, just blank textures). Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions.http://iblueyonder.wordpress.com/2010/04/2...kit-no-problem/

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Thank you for that excellent video Mr. Womack! There are many ways to go about painting Carenado aircraft. I've been using other methods that produce similar results.It is always nice to see how others do things. I'll give it a try when the Bonanza is released.:(I'm curious how you go about lining up the fuselage stripes and the tail. I'd certainly welcome a video about some more of your methods!

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Here's a little tutorial I cooked up this afternoon for painting Carenado aircraft (or any plane where there's no layered paint kit, just blank textures). Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions.http://iblueyonder.wordpress.com/2010/04/2...kit-no-problem/
Thanks Bill, you have so many talents. Amazing stuff you have there. Did this just come to you as you were working on Stark's Twin one night? Just think what you can do with that FedEx Caravan paint job.RayM
Thank you for that excellent video Mr. Womack! There are many ways to go about painting Carenado aircraft. I've been using other methods that produce similar results. I'll give it a try when the Bonanza is released. :(
Is someone releasing a new Bonanza? Single or twin? Oh, might be a B55 Baron. I hear Geof coming around the corner. :(

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Thank you for that excellent video Mr. Womack! There are many ways to go about painting Carenado aircraft. I've been using other methods that produce similar results.It is always nice to see how others do things. I'll give it a try when the Bonanza is released. :( I'm curious how you go about lining up the fuselage stripes and the tail. I'd certainly welcome a video about some more of your methods!
Thanks, Mr. Kat. The lining up is something that's particular to each plane, so I've got no set procedure. It just so happens that the 185 textures have a few pixels of overlap between each fuselage section, so lining the stripes up is a whole lot easier. With this plane, I made a single composite texture that was 2048w x 1024 high so I could line up the fuselage into one solid piece composed of layers of each texture. I painted the stripes over the top of it, then selected the individual layers and copied only that part of the stripes, pasted them onto the individual texture sheets in the same spot. It gives me a headache to describe it, but it was actually pretty simple.Here's another 'simmer looking forward to that Bonanza! :(

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Very interesting video. I learned a lot.What I have done is duplicate the base layer and "Multiply" that duplicated layer.I do all of the actual texturing(colors, text, etc) below that "Multiply" layer. All the detail seems to show up.I like your idea of a composite texture.Russ

Many may fly and some are rewarded

handsomely, but the wings of gold of a

United States Naval Aviator mean more

than flying. It is dearly bought, requires

sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

Bill, what can I say???I'm not a newbie in painting Carenado's aircrafts, although I've still not published anything, but your video is helping a lot.screen_536suxy.jpg(Three handmade paints)If I had your tutorial before, I saved my time.Thx for this nice work you've done for us.I will try it for FS9-textures next time...Thank you, Bill!

Guest TBayBoy

I'm also not a newbie, but also got some great ideas, thanks for the help :-).2009-4-8_22-56-4-217.jpg2009-9-23_20-33-44-171.jpg

Guest TBayBoy

what program did you use to make the video?

what program did you use to make the video?
It's called Camtasia Studio (http://www.camtasia.com). Nifty little program that makes on-screen demos like this super easy. It's a little expensive, but I got it for a work-related project which paid for it.

Bill Womack

Bill, tried your tutorial now for C185 paint for FS9, what can I say...See self... (picture edited)c185overlayfk7.jpgI got a comment on that picture in another forum's FS9 screenshot thread, that I'm not in the FSX-picture-thread... :( No, I'm serious, the shot is FS9, ok, have to tell you that the shot is edited. But the paint looks much better and with your tutorial, Bill, I'm much faster than before with making them by hand.

Glad it helped. That's a sharp-looking paint!

Bill Womack

Excellent and easy to follow tutorial, Bill! Thanks for finding the time to put this together and make it available!Andrew

Great tutorial. I learned a lot on the use of colour-burn etc... I also used your hints and tips to do a few Seneca repaints!Thanks

Gareth Howell

Cheshire (UK)

Looking very sporty!

Bill Womack

Looking very sporty!
Excellent tutorial Bill! :( I guess these basic methodes may be of very good help for both beginners and advanced painters :( You are showing the different steps in a very clear and understandable way.....