Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

If you get to the end of the road in tweaking FSX...

I decided to find the "sweet spot" for my system in a more systematic fashion,after applying various tweaks and backing them out again if they did not improvethings.Problem is, some things got better, some got worse..The absolute best in fluidity came with Pools=0, FFTF=0, and FPS=24, butafter a while, the blurries would set in.So , I decided that at the very least, I should find a setting where the textureloading system could keep up with my flight...After many tests, this is what got me there: Renaming fsx.cfg and allowing FSXto rebuild the file. The only thing I have added back in, is Affinity Mask=14.Now I can fly out of KSEA at 1400 feet, north over the city and the hi-rez texturesof PNW load like clockwork, something that Pools=0 etc could not do for me.The surprising thing to me was, that I thought I had backed out all my tweaksand yet, I got blurry tiles... Somehow the fsx.cfg rebuild did something I didnot do... and it works again.So, if you hit the end of the road, as I did, rename your fsx.cfg to fsx.notsogreat.cfgand start up FSX for a new world! :(Q6600@3.2 9600GT 4GB WinXP32 External Fps Limiter at 24 fps

Bert

Guest Player2
I decided to find the "sweet spot" for my system in a more systematic fashion,after applying various tweaks and backing them out again if they did not improvethings.Problem is, some things got better, some got worse..The absolute best in fluidity came with Pools=0, FFTF=0, and FPS=24, butafter a while, the blurries would set in.So , I decided that at the very least, I should find a setting where the textureloading system could keep up with my flight...After many tests, this is what got me there: Renaming fsx.cfg and allowing FSXto rebuild the file. The only thing I have added back in, is Affinity Mask=14.Now I can fly out of KSEA at 1400 feet, north over the city and the hi-rez texturesof PNW load like clockwork, something that Pools=0 etc could not do for me.The surprising thing to me was, that I thought I had backed out all my tweaksand yet, I got blurry tiles... Somehow the fsx.cfg rebuild did something I didnot do... and it works again.So, if you hit the end of the road, as I did, rename your fsx.cfg to fsx.notsogreat.cfgand start up FSX for a new world! :( Q6600@3.2 9600GT 4GB WinXP32 External Fps Limiter at 24 fps
Bert,Think I am beginning to see the same light.Though the tweaks have been great, its only after I thought the sim was now all set and I began to get back to flying again that I have noticed the dreaded blurries accumulate.Side by side comparison of using the latest new cfg tweaks looks like a blurr flying for more than 15-20 min into and out of a busy hub compared to the simple "non tweaked one", no matter how may combinations I have tried.So like you I am back to simple, close to stock FSX cfg and the only tweak I am running now is BP=100000 and LOD 6.5 that is it. Internal locked at 30fps.Also went back to following the nhancer guide settings with 8xs & 16xAF - probably more noticable at 1920x1200 and very happy to have always sharp textures and no CTD from BP=0!I7-920 4Ghz 285GTX 1GB

Does anyone keep track of the FSX tweaks? Recently there was so many I've lost count and no longer follow what is what?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Does anyone keep track of the FSX tweaks? Recently there was so many I've lost count and no longer follow what is what?
I know I lost track...! I also rebuild my cfg last weekend, but I did add the BP=O because it really makes a huge difference on my computer. But that is really the ONLY tweak I use. No affinity mask, no highmemfix, no nothing. And most certainly not the FFTF tweak. The reason I rebuild the cfg was that my new Bonanza locked up FSX. In order to find out what caused this I decided to 'reset' the cfg and all was fine after that.I will suspend tweaking until there is a consencus on what REALLY works. Or at least I will try to suspend tweaking... :( The flesh is weak... :(EDIT:Hm, FSX just crashed again... Back to the desktop without any warning after half an hour flying. You know what? I am getting a bit fed up with FSX... Just when you think you got it working okay, you get stupid lockups and I don't want to look into that or fix it... Sometimes I hate computers and right now I an beginning to hate FSX.

no highmemfix
Careful there. HIGHMEMFIX is NOT a tweak, it IS an actual 'fix' Ryan, from PMDG can shed more 'official' light on it. I can not.

Guest Player2
I know I lost track...! I also rebuild my cfg last weekend, but I did add the BP=O because it really makes a huge difference on my computer. But that is really the ONLY tweak I use. No affinity mask, no highmemfix, no nothing. And most certainly not the FFTF tweak. The reason I rebuild the cfg was that my new Bonanza locked up FSX. In order to find out what caused this I decided to 'reset' the cfg and all was fine after that.I will suspend tweaking until there is a consencus on what REALLY works. Or at least I will try to suspend tweaking... :( The flesh is weak... :( EDIT:Hm, FSX just crashed again... Back to the desktop without any warning after half an hour flying. You know what? I am getting a bit fed up with FSX... Just when you think you got it working okay, you get stupid lockups and I don't want to look into that or fix it... Sometimes I hate computers and right now I an beginning to hate FSX.
I found that the crashes were from BP=0 and I am done with that one as it is just too unstable. Even the highmem thing can't help it as it only transforms it from being a black screen lockup probem to a crash to desktop problem (my testing).Suggest you try BP=5000 or BP=100000 as you can get similar boost but much more stable and less blurries over the long hall.Cheers!

Hmmmm.... it's a pretty tough to rule out tweaking, Bert: when I upgraded to the i7 and overclocked it, I thought I was done - it's amazing how fast it was!!..... 'till the PNW was invaded by the Aussies... and then she began to stutter around SEA... and on approach, after a long flight - she froze... aaah... - it's a Win7 issue... so I had to read.. and tweak.. uiautomation.dll... hmmmm...... and then ******* came along (and I found religion)... after three weeks it was almost there, with Blood Pressure at 200 and BP at 0 ...... but nVidia and ATI built a couple of new gpu's... Oh joy!! ended up with ATI, (because nobody had the 480)... and so then I discovered vSync!!..... which ******* fixed. (praise) ... but then she bogged down with heavy cloud.... but ******* fixed that too. (more praise) ... but I had to rebuild FSX from scratch because of "something I did, but don't know what" (*******'s fault - Shaders - less praise) ..... but it fixed the heavy cloud. WOW! - Marniftarr released EZCA!! Hadta learn a bunch here, as this is a work in progress.. purchased it three times, returned it twice.. The dust is settled now: it all works as it should, - have lots of traffic - even military - with lots of clouds and rain - with ENB bloom doing its magic... and the aircraft bumping, vibrating and shaking on takeoff... but I still have to cut back a bit when flying the Maddog/FSPassengers out of KSEA, just like before, but that's the exception, instead of the rule..... Life is good when you can be locked and smoooooth at 24 anywhere, any time. And you know the bad stuff is all in the past.'Till the next addon. As Jeroen says.. The flesh is weak... :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest Player2
.. uiautomation.dll...
I agree, no need to end tweaking...just somethings that work for some dont always work for others I guess.BTW What is the uiautomation.dll tweak?

BTW What is the uiautomation.dll tweak?
Stops the Win7 "freeze" - where - in any part of a flight - the screen freezes, with the sound continuing. I think there are a couple of variations of this, as some freezes are recoverable by Ctrl-Alt-Del and Alt-Tab (I think) which resulted in a resumption of the flight, and others that result in a ctd and and auto restart of FSX. I think Mitch happened on this fix first, and it works for me. No more freezes. The file is normally resident in the Windows/System32 folder, but the fix is to download the Vista 64-bit version and stick it in the FSX root folder.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hmmmm.... it's a pretty tough to rule out tweaking, Bert: when I upgraded to the i7 and overclocked it, I thought I was done - it's amazing how fast it was!!..... 'till the PNW was invaded by the Aussies... and then she began to stutter around SEA... and on approach, after a long flight - she froze... aaah... - it's a Win7 issue... so I had to read.. and tweak.. uiautomation.dll... hmmmm...... and then ******* came along (and I found religion)... after three weeks it was almost there, with Blood Pressure at 200 and BP at 0 ...... but nVidia and ATI built a couple of new gpu's... Oh joy!! ended up with ATI, (because nobody had the 480)... and so then I discovered vSync!!..... which ******* fixed. (praise) ... but then she bogged down with heavy cloud.... but ******* fixed that too. (more praise) ... but I had to rebuild FSX from scratch because of "something I did, but don't know what" (*******'s fault - Shaders - less praise) ..... but it fixed the heavy cloud. WOW! - Marniftarr released EZCA!! Hadta learn a bunch here, as this is a work in progress.. purchased it three times, returned it twice.. The dust is settled now: it all works as it should, - have lots of traffic - even military - with lots of clouds and rain - with ENB bloom doing its magic... and the aircraft bumping, vibrating and shaking on takeoff... but I still have to cut back a bit when flying the Maddog/FSPassengers out of KSEA, just like before, but that's the exception, instead of the rule..... Life is good when you can be locked and smoooooth at 24 anywhere, any time. And you know the bad stuff is all in the past.'Till the next addon. As Jeroen says.. The flesh is weak... :(
Paul, I don't remember having so much fun reading a post !You describe with a lot of talent what our wives call our "sickness" when they see us in front of our computer... :(

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Paulwhat is the fix for the clouds with the ATI cards?, I thinkI missed that one, apparently 4 hours a day on these forums is not enough...

Guest Player2
Stops the Win7 "freeze" - where - in any part of a flight - the screen freezes, with the sound continuing. I think there are a couple of variations of this, as some freezes are recoverable by Ctrl-Alt-Del and Alt-Tab (I think) which resulted in a resumption of the flight, and others that result in a ctd and and auto restart of FSX. I think Mitch happened on this fix first, and it works for me. No more freezes. The file is normally resident in the Windows/System32 folder, but the fix is to download the Vista 64-bit version and stick it in the FSX root folder.
So a vista version is used for wi7? is this just for upgraded installs or clean installs? I use win7-64 ult clean install.Back to the topic...I think many forget how to use the sliders correctly to adjust settings to the situation (add-on etc) and trying to compensate for the lack of reasonable adjustment with some of these premature tweaks just seem to be robbing us at some other point i.e the blurries if your graphic settings are high enough to notice.At least because of all the efforts by everyone to tweak we have come out better off knowing more than if we didn't, so dont get me wrong.I just think the viewpoint of the OP has some validity and I happen to agree.

Exactly same here!After most new tweaks (BP=0 for example) I tried, it first locks like FSX was cured. But after a view more flights some issues cam in. Today I decided to delete the fsx.cfg and let FSX rebuild it. My conclusion is, that you need a view different tweaked fsx.cfg for each are you will fly in. The last view moths I never made a longer flight. I have "wasted" lots of hours to tweak my fsx.cfg instead...I know everyone is different when it comes to the questions, what is smooth and what is a good IQ. So I can speak only for myself!

Guest Player2
Paulwhat is the fix for the clouds with the ATI cards?, I thinkI missed that one, apparently 4 hours a day on these forums is not enough...
4 hours a day instead of actuall flying - validates the point! :( :( :( B) B) Look for the "Bejotes shader 30" post and you might get some help with that.

what is the fix for the clouds with the ATI cards?, I thinkI missed that one, apparently 4 hours a day on these forums is not enough...
Only 4 hours???? What do you do with the rest of your day! :( OK - look for *******'s Shaders mod, PP.
So a vista version is used for wi7? is this just for upgraded installs or clean installs? I use win7-64 ult clean install.
Mine was a fresh install of Win7, P2.