I'm looking for input and comments from those who has already replaced their 285 with a 480. After the Aces Studio was shut down and no more FS versions in a near future I thought I wouldn't have to upgrade my FS rig for quite some time but now with the new BP=0 FSX.CFG tweak maybe an upgrade of the graphics cards is justified...The rest of my rig consists of a Core I7-920@3.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, both FSX and Windows 7 x64 running on their own SSDs.If you already went from a GTX 285 to a GTX 480 please share your experiences!TIA,

Richard Åsberg

I'm looking for input and comments from those who has already replaced their 285 with a 480. After the Aces Studio was shut down and no more FS versions in a near future I thought I wouldn't have to upgrade my FS rig for quite some time but now with the new BP=0 FSX.CFG tweak maybe an upgrade of the graphics cards is justified...The rest of my rig consists of a Core I7-920@3.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, both FSX and Windows 7 x64 running on their own SSDs.If you already went from a GTX 285 to a GTX 480 please share your experiences!TIA,
I went from a GTX 260, to a GTX 275, then a GTX 470, and finally a GTX 480. The biggest jump in performance was from the 275 to the 470, which is somewhat like going from a 285 to a 480. I am selling the GTX 470, which is the EVGA version. PM if interested, it is in flawless condition and I have all of the original packaging. It was only used for a few hours and was a temporary solution until I could find a GTX 480.

Thanks for your input Shane, sounds like you've been walking along an expensive path though replacing all those cards!Anyone else with similar or different experiences, appreciate all input I can get before I spend these kind of money.

Richard Åsberg

Hi Richard,I had a 285 2Gb and now a 480 and frankly I don't see a big difference if any at all.Maybe is there a difference between a "simple" 1Gb and a 480, I don't know.I don't regret my purchase because I sold my 285 here in Israel and bought a 480 in France for the same price but won't recommand spending money on this upgrade.The GTX 480 is very hot (83C with FSX!), rather noisy and I can't say that the sim is smoother, even with the BP=0 tweak.Maybe is it a mater of time and driver but so far, with Seven x64 and the latest WHQL driver I still have stutters, artifacts, CTDs sometimes and tuti quanti.Hope it helps :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Thanks alot David for your very helpful post, this was exactly the kind of input I was looking for before spending these kind of money. Guess I'll wait for a while especially since my setup is already giving me very good performance although you can never have enough I guess :(Happy flying and have a great weekend!P.S Your "alive" signature is really great!! D.S

Richard Åsberg

Hi Richard,I had a 285 2Gb and now a 480 and frankly I don't see a big difference if not at all.Maybe is there a difference between a "simple" 1Gb and a 480, I don't know.I don't regret my purchase because I sold my 285 here in Israel and bought a 480 in France for the same price but won't recommand spending money on this upgrade.The GTX 480 is very hot (83C with FSX!), rather noisy and I can't say that the sim is smoother, even with the BP=0 tweak.Maybe is it a mater of time and driver but so far, with Seven x64 and the latest WHQL driver I still have stutters, artifacts, CTDs sometimes and tuti quanti.Hope it helps :--)
Hello David,Thanks for sharing your experience , I got my 285 2GB about 3month ago , so it is hard to replace it now :(Bob

I went from a gtx 260 to the evga 480 and noticed a huge difference, at first I really botched the install with the drivers and had ctd's and what not, but a fellow gtx 480 simmer sorted me out, I was expecting this card to be loud and hot but for me its not, I set my fan speed to 60 which you can't even hear over the msfs sounds anyways the max temp I have got so far is 62 degrees running fsx. But I must admit if your 285 is running fine keep it until they release the 485's, which should be better cooler and faster.

.... But I must admit if your 285 is running fine keep it until they release the 485's, which should be better cooler and faster.
Yes , good idea, I will wait , I heard some news about new revision for end of this year, ....

I went from a gtx 260 to the evga 480 and noticed a huge difference, at first I really botched the install with the drivers and had ctd's and what not, but a fellow gtx 480 simmer sorted me out, I was expecting this card to be loud and hot but for me its not, I set my fan speed to 60 which you can't even hear over the msfs sounds anyways the max temp I have got so far is 62 degrees running fsx. But I must admit if your 285 is running fine keep it until they release the 485's, which should be better cooler and faster.
Bob and Rich, you're very welcome :--)Ian, what did you do with the driver? Maybe should I try...?

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Bob and Rich, you're very welcome :--)Ian, what did you do with the driver? Maybe should I try...?
Here's the thread where Shane helped me out http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=284367 once I installed the drivers from the cd then installed the beta over top of them without uninstalling anything, everything is working great now, no ctd's graphic corruption, stutters, or the driver shutting down then restarting. Its like night and day, really surprised because I have always been taught to uninstall pre existing drivers before installing new ones.

Hi Richard,...The GTX 480 is very hot (83C with FSX!), rather noisy and I can't say that the sim is smoother, even with the BP=0 tweak....
Probably won

Here's the thread where Shane helped me out http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=284367 once I installed the drivers from the cd then installed the beta over top of them without uninstalling anything, everything is working great now, no ctd's graphic corruption, stutters, or the driver shutting down then restarting. Its like night and day, really surprised because I have always been taught to uninstall pre existing drivers before installing new ones.
Thanks Ian.So, if I understand well, before installing the driver from the CD you just uninstalled the old one without cleaning it?

Best regards,
David Roch

No I actually uninstalled that one, and started fresh with the one from the cd, so just uninstall the one you have now, install the one on the cd then just install the next one over top of that without uninstalling anything. Im using the 197.75 beta version right now. Its working great

OK, great!I'll try tomorrow.Thanks again Ian and enjoy your new card :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

Hi Richard,I had a 285 2Gb and now a 480 and frankly I don't see a big difference if any at all.Maybe is there a difference between a "simple" 1Gb and a 480, I don't know.I don't regret my purchase because I sold my 285 here in Israel and bought a 480 in France for the same price but won't recommand spending money on this upgrade.The GTX 480 is very hot (83C with FSX!), rather noisy and I can't say that the sim is smoother, even with the BP=0 tweak.Maybe is it a mater of time and driver but so far, with Seven x64 and the latest WHQL driver I still have stutters, artifacts, CTDs sometimes and tuti quanti.Hope it helps :--)
David,Have you tried just a standard fsx.cfg with just the following adjustments:[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14[bufferPools]PoolSize=100000000[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1ForceFullScreenVSync=1ForceWindowedVsync=1TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=90I have had great results with these basic tweaks.