Sign in to follow this  
Guest BOM

FPS Limiter

Guest BOM

HI, first post here, hope some of you experts can help me?I can't get the FPS limiter tool to work in Windows 7 64 bit. I installed JAVA, but when I try to open the GUI, there's only a short DOS flash...Anyone experience this, and what to do about it?

You need to start it with FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar. Or make a shortcut to the exe file with following info (change the paths) as Target:"F:\FSX\FPS Limiter\FPS_Limiter.exe" /r:D3D9 /f:30 /x:OFF /l:OFF "F:\FSX\fsx.exe"

Guest BOM

Problem fixed, thanks for your help!Copied the fsx.exe.limited from my XP 64 boot, and changed the location etc.

You need to start it with FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar. Or make a shortcut to the exe file with following info (change the paths) as Target:"F:\FSX\FPS Limiter\FPS_Limiter.exe" /r:D3D9 /f:30 /x:OFF /l:OFF "F:\FSX\fsx.exe"
Word Not Allowed,I read lot of your posts. You seem to have some experience.What is the utility to have FPS limiter versus the FPS target frame rate of FSX ?

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Well, answering that question from my perspective is au contraire to anything anyone else said. I find the program pretty much hit and miss.With it, according to *******, you bypass some parts of the texture system in the FSX. There is another formula for calculating texture bandwidth.BUT, there is a big difference between both ways, and without going much into technical (it has been covered by ******* already):When running external limiter, you WILL notice way slower texture loading if you load your system a bit - enough is a simple photoreal scenery ala Las Vegas Megascenery. Flying with external, after some time (2-3min flying), even with the simplest Bombardier flying at 5000ft 300kts, you will notice, when you pause the sim, that textures load to higher LOD after couple of seconds. I can repeat this test ALL over again, no matter what setting I choose, even with default 4.5 LOD_RADIUS. You will also notice that CPU usage on the core used as a main scheduler, drops with the lowering of the FPS in the FPS Limiter - and if it's already not using the Core up to its potential, it's potentially leaving the power for something else, then there should be no reason for texture loading to drop, if it were working correctly.So my conclusion in this: FPS Limiter is not working correctly. I think it limits the FPS by limiting the CPU usage if the frames are crossing the distinctive number (lock).With the internal limiter, textures always load fast. Except if you overload the system too much. Same test as above proved that textures were always keeping along. Pausing wouldn't bring anything, they were always sharp. Also you will notice main scheduler core always running at 100%.Some say that running the core at 100% will cause stutters. I find this to be a pure placebo effect. It will only stutter if: 1) HDD can't keep along 2) you overload it by general settings so the FPS drop below locked. On my system I see stutters in both situations, and I have a very clean machine, so it's not that. Running FSX completely stutter-free is rather impossible. Not even FS9 is stutter free today, no matter what you do.A known sideeffect of running internal limiter is also that general FPS drop down, even if the lock is over the maximal achievable framerate. It is somewhat tunable by FFTF, and 0 will cause no drop, but will cause blurries when load grows. That is why unlimited is giving highest FPS achievable, but also causes blurry textures with time.Only question that remains is WHAT is CPU doing on 100% when you lower ALL the settings, even when flying over water (limited internally).Well, that's it. I don't know how to explain it better. I hope it helped a bit.

Well, answering that question from my perspective is au contraire to anything anyone else said. I find the program pretty much hit and miss.With it, according to *******, you bypass some parts of the texture system in the FSX. There is another formula for calculating texture bandwidth.BUT, there is a big difference between both ways, and without going much into technical (it has been covered by ******* already):When running external limiter, you WILL notice way slower texture loading if you load your system a bit - enough is a simple photoreal scenery ala Las Vegas Megascenery. Flying with external, after some time (2-3min flying), even with the simplest Bombardier flying at 5000ft 300kts, you will notice, when you pause the sim, that textures load to higher LOD after couple of seconds. I can repeat this test ALL over again, no matter what setting I choose, even with default 4.5 LOD_RADIUS. You will also notice that CPU usage on the core used as a main scheduler, drops with the lowering of the FPS in the FPS Limiter - and if it's already not using the Core up to its potential, it's potentially leaving the power for something else, then there should be no reason for texture loading to drop, if it were working correctly.So my conclusion in this: FPS Limiter is not working correctly. I think it limits the FPS by limiting the CPU usage if the frames are crossing the distinctive number (lock).With the internal limiter, textures always load fast. Except if you overload the system too much. Same test as above proved that textures were always keeping along. Pausing wouldn't bring anything, they were always sharp. Also you will notice main scheduler core always running at 100%.Some say that running the core at 100% will cause stutters. I find this to be a pure placebo effect. It will only stutter if: 1) HDD can't keep along 2) you overload it by general settings so the FPS drop below locked. On my system I see stutters in both situations, and I have a very clean machine, so it's not that. Running FSX completely stutter-free is rather impossible. Not even FS9 is stutter free today, no matter what you do.A known sideeffect of running internal limiter is also that general FPS drop down, even if the lock is over the maximal achievable framerate. It is somewhat tunable by FFTF, and 0 will cause no drop, but will cause blurries when load grows. That is why unlimited is giving highest FPS achievable, but also causes blurry textures with time.Only question that remains is WHAT is CPU doing on 100% when you lower ALL the settings, even when flying over water (limited internally).Well, that's it. I don't know how to explain it better. I hope it helped a bit.
Word Not Allowed,Your answer satisfies me. I thought I read months or years ago that the external FPS limiter did not really bring much added value. But reading all the stuff around ******* posts (I missed the FPS limiter) I realized that many people were using it. So was there something I did not know ? Now I will just stick with the FSX frame limiter. There is enough running around FSX wiithout adding this.Thank you.

Roger

See my specs in my profile

I can't set up a batch file as I cannot even run the GUI! All I get is a short DOS flash..it won't stay open.

Thanks Patrick. My trouble is that I can't run the GUI. It flashes a black command box but won't stay open.

Thanks Patrick. My trouble is that I can't run the GUI. It flashes a black command box but won't stay open.
Step 3 - Run the file in the folder that you just extracted, called "FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar", DO NOT run the "FPS_Limiter.exe" file, it will not work.

Does anybody know if the [F10], [F11] and [F12] keys to increase/decrease and show the framerate limit can be unmapped in the external fps limiter? I often use these keys in FSX itself and by doing so I lower the framerate limit, to end up with only 12 fps on final approach...:(

Okay I must be dumb.I am running W7 Pro 64 bit. I have installed Java and the test applet on the java websit shows that is is installed correctly.the GUI file is not seen as a Java Executable, just as a jar file.I can run the jar file on a different computer with no problems so I did that. Copied the FSL folder, including the batchfile to my fs computer. changed the path to the fsx folder and still I have a short flashing dos screen.Can Anyone help me, as it is driving me crazy. I am absolutely positive that the path is right.I tried putting the FSL folder in different locations, being Program files, Program Files (x86), the FSX folder and a Program files folder on a separate drive, Of course I adapter the path every time, but the result remains the same.I hope someone can shine a light on this.Thanks,Manfred

A day without laughter, is a day without living.

Problem fixed, thanks for your help!Copied the fsx.exe.limited from my XP 64 boot, and changed the location etc.
Bom, how does WinXP 64-bit compare to W7 performance-wise in FSX or FS9? I'm very much interested in this subject. Originally I wanted to use 2 boots for win xp 64-bit and win7 64-bit, with win xp dedicated for MSFS and win7 for my other flightsim games. I saw your post and I understand you're switching fully to Win7? 2 boots have never been a problem for me, I have 3 HDDs in my drive and I've used 2 dedicated boots for different games with win xp 32 for a long time.Thanks,Dirk.