Sign in to follow this  
bojote

FSX Video Capture (FRAPs style) but native to FSX!

Probably this is old news, but not to me. Did people know there is an FSX control to CAPTURE videos in AVI format? the control is NOT included by default, so it was probably added later (SP2 maybe?)Anyway, if you would like to capture videos in uncompressed AVI format (Yes, I know FRAPs does this, but this is a NATIVE FSX control) then add this entry to your controls mapping file (Standard.XML) videos are HUGE, so probably this is not something to use for extended periods, but is nice to know we have the functionality there for at least short videos. Recordings will be stored in your My Documents/Video folder in AVI format. <Entry> <Key>SHIFT+V</Key> <Down>VIDEO_RECORD_TOGGLE</Down> </Entry>

Files are H U G E... also, there's no sound recorded, unfortunately. From what I was told years ago while at the first ACES DevCon, they ran out of time to complete the internal recorder, so that's why it was left "undocumented..."As it turned out, it would have taken more effort to strip out the incompleted code than it would to simply not mention it... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Files are H U G E... also, there's no sound recorded, unfortunately. From what I was told years ago while at the first ACES DevCon, they ran out of time to complete the internal recorder, so that's why it was left "undocumented..."As it turned out, it would have taken more effort to strip out the incompleted code than it would to simply not mention it... :(
it would be nice to have this feature for FSNext ;) specially if sound can be recorded and files compressed on the fly to wmv/mp4 format. I also noticed there are two switches in [MAIN] called VIDEO_COMPRESSION and VIDEO_COMPRESION_LEVEL first one is an int (0/1) second a float ranging from 0.0 to 1.0 resulting files are tiny when using this compression, but the CODEC they seem to be using is messing up the video, so it was definitely not completed, oh well.

The best capture program for performance and low file size is GameCam. Unfortunately there is a problem with it when using a FS2004 modeled aircraft. Native FSX aircraft work fine. There is little to none frame hit and my last video I just completed (Just today) that was 17 min only took up 396MB file space. I haven't seen any other capture program come close.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d