Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

New FSX Lights

Hi,I have received numerous requests for my FSX lights fix, I have tried to accommodate everyone, if I missed your request I'm sorry. I have completed work on the new lights and they have been uploaded to AVSIM. The filename is: fsx_lights.zipI'm sure the uploaded file will be online shortly. I hope you find the files useful. Anyone who received a copy from me via email should download the latest version from AVSIM when it becomes available, it contains changes/updates.Thanks

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Mike ... I don't see them in the library yet. What does this fix about the lights?

-- tazz

Hi Tazz,The files I worked on replace the following original FSX files: fx_2.bmp, halo.bmp, fx_strobe.fx and fx_strobeh.fx. These changes should dramatically reduce the balloon like look to FSX's landing lights, it also provides better looking FSX lights in general. I did not work on FSX's spotlight.bmp file because I find the one included in the REX2 package to be an excellent one. The spotlight.bmp file is not included in my upload due to obvious reasons (REX2 Copyright), if you own REX2 and would like to use the same spotlight that I'm using, you can install the spotlight.bmp file from the following REX2 directory: Go to your REX2 drive/directory and then the following sub directory - Images/Lighting/Landing_Lights/01/Base. Now copy the spotlight.bmp file into your FSX/Texture sub directory.The files have been uploaded to AVSIM and should be online within a day or two.CORRECTION: The files are online, just go to AVSIM's File Library / What's New...

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Mike,Thanks for these light fix.I will certainly try them out.Does it fix AI lights too?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Hi Tazz,The files I worked on replace the following original FSX files: fx_2.bmp, halo.bmp, fx_strobe.fx and fx_strobeh.fx. These changes should dramatically reduce the balloon like look to FSX's landing lights, it also provides better looking FSX lights in general. I did not work on FSX's spotlight.bmp file because I find the one included in the REX2 package to be an excellent one. The spotlight.bmp file is not included in my upload due to obvious reasons (REX2 Copyright), if you own REX2 and would like to use the same spotlight that I'm using, you can install the spotlight.bmp file from the following REX2 directory: Go to your REX2 drive/directory and then the following sub directory - Images/Lighting/Landing_Lights/01/Base. Now copy the spotlight.bmp file into your FSX/Texture sub directory.The files have been uploaded to AVSIM and should be online within a day or two.CORRECTION: The files are online, just go to AVSIM's File Library / What's New...
Hi Mike,Thanks for creating these lights, i look forward to trying them out when they come up at the library. Bruce.

Hi,Yep, it works with my AI aircraft, it should work for you as well. Here are a few shots of AI aircraft at different distances. The ballooning of AI Landing lights as you increase the distance between you and the AI aircraft in question are not as bad as they were before.AI_Lights1.jpgAI_Lights2.jpgAI_Lights3.jpgAI_Lights4.jpgAI_Lights5.jpg

Mike,Thanks for these light fix.I will certainly try them out.Does it fix AI lights too?

Mike, I was wondering what other lights or lighting effects will change beside the AI a/c's lights if I use your mod? Currently I am using the cfg tweaks for the runways, taxiways, etc., so I didn't know if using your mod will change those as well.Thanks.Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Sean,The light fix uploaded to AVSIM will change FSX's Landing, Runway, VASI, Approach Bars and Strobes etc. I have included a copy of my fsx.cfg RUNWAY_LIGHTS_??????? settings to compensate for the changes to the bmp files. If your worried about my files messing up FSX, just make backups of your originals and give it a try, if you don't like my files just put your files back into the correct directories and everything will be the way it was prior to installing my fix. Installation instructions are included, its fairly easy to replace these files.

Mike, I was wondering what other lights or lighting effects will change beside the AI a/c's lights if I use your mod? Currently I am using the cfg tweaks for the runways, taxiways, etc., so I didn't know if using your mod will change those as well.Thanks.Sean

This can also negatively affect addon aircraft's landing lights if they are actually created to be not as brilliantly bright as the default ones are.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi Ed,Wouldn't a change/replacement of FSX's spotlight.bmp (brighter spotlight) correct the landing light problem and increase the brightness?. Do you know of an aircraft that has these dimmer landing lights?, I'd like to see the difference between Level-D's 767 and an aircraft that has dimmer landing lights.Thanks

This can also negatively affect addon aircraft's landing lights if they are actually created to be not as brilliantly bright as the default ones are.

What did you do to these files fx_strobe.fx and fx_strobeh.fx?

Hi,I made changes to the following parameters: delay and rate. I'm still working on these two files and testing continues.

What did you do to these files fx_strobe.fx and fx_strobeh.fx?

I have installed these lights and I'm very impressed. Although at night these landing lights are dimmer, I much prefer the daytime look without the ballooning effect of the stock lights. It's a tradeoff I'm satisfied with. Thanks again Mike!