Sign in to follow this  
KERNEL32

Sold out? LOL

There are always two sides to a story and the side from "those who were there" (I assume ACES employees) does not make sense. Are you telling me that MS disbanded the whole Studio because they didn't like an opposing view regarding a single title among many titles for which they had no problem with? They could have cancelled FS and kept all the other titles. Until the "insiders" from opposing view (MS management) verify what the ACES insiders are saying, I will reserve judgement on it. Meanwhile the MS's stated official reason for dismantling the ACES makes more sense.
The other titles were not even remotely as successful as FS has been. No other software product ever made has enjoyed the longevity of the FS franchise.They didn't cancel FS, let's be very clear on this. It wasn't and isn't cancelled. It's currently being redone by the Games for Windows LIVE development group. That's not cancelled. Train Simulator and Combat Simulator both were cancelled. Neither of them had the success rate that FS itself had.The 'official reason' was a pile of monkey dung. It was always a commercial success for MS. Always.As for getting any response from Microsoft... you've a better chance at winning the lottery, and I'm pretty certain you know that.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

In all honesty, I suspect the real reason CFS was canceled was because CFS 3 flopped and by the time CFS 4 was canceled, IL-2 became a major force on the market and had cornered the market in that part of combat simulation.

The other titles were not even remotely as successful as FS has been. No other software product ever made has enjoyed the longevity of the FS franchise.They didn't cancel FS, let's be very clear on this. It wasn't and isn't cancelled. It's currently being redone by the Games for Windows LIVE development group. That's not cancelled. Train Simulator and Combat Simulator both were cancelled. Neither of them had the success rate that FS itself had.The 'official reason' was a pile of monkey dung. It was always a commercial success for MS. Always.As for getting any response from Microsoft... you've a better chance at winning the lottery, and I'm pretty certain you know that.
I didn't say it was cancelled and lets not mince words. I said they "could have" just canceled the FS in ACES. Meaning taking it out of ACES hand and develop it themselves. I am not expecting a response from Microsoft other than their official position. Now I have two positions in front of me, one stated by Microsoft and another by ACES insiders. I choose the more believable one which is strategic redirection rather than dismantling the whole ACES because of an argument about FS. Just an opinion. Not fact ofcoarse.

I didn't say it was cancelled and lets not mince words. I said they "could have" just canceled the FS in ACES. Meaning taking it out of ACES hand and develop it themselves. I am not expecting a response from Microsoft other than their official position. Now I have two positions in front of me, one stated by Microsoft and another by ACES insiders. I choose the more believable one which is strategic redirection rather than dismantling the whole ACES because of an argument about FS. Just an opinion. Not fact ofcoarse.
These positions are not mutually exclusive! Both positions involve a fundamental disagreement between ACES management and MS Game Studio's management over the issue of "strategic redirection..." :( Unfortunately for ACES, their leader's intransigence ultimately led to a severe "loss of faith" on the part of MSGS management, and the decision to simply disband ACES entirely was the result... IMHO, of course... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

These positions are not mutually exclusive! Both positions involve a fundamental disagreement between ACES management and MS Game Studio's management over the issue of "strategic redirection..." :( Unfortunately for ACES, their leader's intransigence ultimately led to a severe "loss of faith" on the part of MSGS management, and the decision to simply disband ACES entirely was the result... IMHO, of course... :(
Bill and Ed,So let me get this straight based off of what you've just said above and from your conversation with ex-ACES members? - ACES were unwilling to make FS more "game-like" as directed by MS Management. - MS's future strategy for FS is to make it dumbed down to appeal to more people = more $. - MS wants more control of 3PD's. So MS essentially showed ACES the door when they wouldn't dumb the program down? Am I correct? Look Bill, you've helped me a lot in the past with my project and I know you have close ties with ex-ACES members, but are you allowed to give us the straight story, or is something like an NDA not allowing you to speak your mind? I think both you and Ed have given us more information to the demise of ACES in this ONE thread, than I've seen in the past year and a half. Just curious, - Blake

Blake

Look Bill, you've helped me a lot in the past with my project and I know you have close ties with ex-ACES members, but are you allowed to give us the straight story, or is something like an NDA not allowing you to speak your mind? I think both you and Ed have given us more information to the demise of ACES in this ONE thread, than I've seen in the past year and a half.
Blake, that's going well beyond anything I've actually said, as I don't really know what the MS Games' paradigm is going to ultimately prove to be. While I've indulged in some speculations inferred from current exemplars of MS Live's offerings, those may well prove to be wrong... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Blake, that's going well beyond anything I've actually said, as I don't really know what the MS Games' paradigm is going to ultimately prove to be. While I've indulged in some speculations inferred from current exemplars of MS Live's offerings, those may well prove to be wrong... :(
Understood, thanks Bill.

Blake

I think the biggest problem will be GFW Live in general. The centralized market will actually be a decent thing if executed properly. In all honesty, the payware industry has been obscured by the fragmentation it currently is in from the wrath of the gaming media. There has been a lot of uproar in the gaming media in regards to DLC prices lately. The payware industry would be on the wrong end of the stick in this instance due to the pricing. It could actually make FS an even more niche market because of it getting bad media attention for the community.

Why doesn't Aces start their own flightsim business? Several years ago Emloyees of Texas Instruments that were laid-off or quit started their own business. I don't remember the name of their business now. I remember when CFS2 came out alot of people were complaining about Payware, there were lots of threads about keeping it freeware.

Why doesn't Aces start their own flightsim business? Several years ago Emloyees of Texas Instruments that were laid-off or quit started their own business. I don't remember the name of their business now. I remember when CFS2 came out alot of people were complaining about Payware, there were lots of threads about keeping it freeware.
I'm pretty certain there would be some form of 'non-compete' restriction that they agreed to before their hiring at ACES to begin with.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guys - they said they are making some kind of announcement during E3...
Oh jeez you're right

Guest JoeInCT

I think any idea that Microsoft closed ACES after some well thought out strategy or thought process is giving Microsoft WAY too much credit. Microsoft under Ballmer is not that bright. Microsoft simply got caught up in the "mass hysteria" that overtook corporate America when they were laying off like crazy -- and ACES got caught up in it. Microsoft is no longer a technology leader. Just a follower.

I think any idea that Microsoft closed ACES after some well thought out strategy or thought process is giving Microsoft WAY too much credit. Microsoft under Ballmer is not that bright. Microsoft simply got caught up in the "mass hysteria" that overtook corporate America when they were laying off like crazy -- and ACES got caught up in it. Microsoft is no longer a technology leader. Just a follower.
To me the old idea that the games industry is recession-proof just sounds quaint...of course it was a factor. And why wouldn