Sign in to follow this  
Dave Morgan

creating a log

Hi all,Just a quick preliminary question before I head home to try things out.If I fly a crossing at the specified FL I'm often ordered away on a 90-degree-right vector as if I missed the restriction, only to be ordered back left to my original vector when I'm half way through the turn. I think the controller may be giving me a zero-mile 'delay' vector for a zero-foot altitude discrepancy. Tell me, is the pressure setting of 29.92" correct for a FL, and use local setting below the transition level?There are some things I'd like to experiment with before posting a full question (e. g. I've found flying 100 feet lower than ordered keeps the controller happy) but, reading the sticky on creating a log, would you get enough info if I logged a saved-en-route flight from about 10 min before the crossing (or before being ordered down) or is it better to log a complete plan?I love RC.Lots of thanks,D

Hi all,Just a quick preliminary question before I head home to try things out.If I fly a crossing at the specified FL I'm often ordered away on a 90-degree-right vector as if I missed the restriction, only to be ordered back left to my original vector when I'm half way through the turn. I think the controller may be giving me a zero-mile 'delay' vector for a zero-foot altitude discrepancy. Tell me, is the pressure setting of 29.92" correct for a FL, and use local setting below the transition level?There are some things I'd like to experiment with before posting a full question (e. g. I've found flying 100 feet lower than ordered keeps the controller happy) but, reading the sticky on creating a log, would you get enough info if I logged a saved-en-route flight from about 10 min before the crossing (or before being ordered down) or is it better to log a complete plan?I love RC.Lots of thanks,D
if you are outside the USA, be sure that if your crossing is FL110, your altimeter shouold be at 29.92 if your crossing restriction is 11,000, your altimeter should be at local pressure. i'll bet anything the problem is the discrepancy between 11,000 and FL110.and don't use the "B" key. it doesn't work outside the USAjd

Good morning.Flying IFR SBRB-SBPV at FL120. 40 miles or so from SBPV's class B airspace I have '...descend to and maintain flight level nine zero. Start down now please, I need you level within 30 miles'.I'm level at FL90 (altimeter shows 9000 at 29.92") within 18, giving 12nm in hand. As I cross into class B, I'm directed to fly a vector 90

Good morning.Flying IFR SBRB-SBPV at FL120. 40 miles or so from SBPV's class B airspace I have '...descend to and maintain flight level nine zero. Start down now please, I need you level within 30 miles'.I'm level at FL90 (altimeter shows 9000 at 29.92") within 18, giving 12nm in hand. As I cross into class B, I'm directed to fly a vector 90

Hi,Log sent. Sorry, I didn't give the mail a subject.defaid at hotmail dot com (often ends up as junk...)Thanks,Dave

Hi John,Thanks for your prompt reply.I'm using MSFS internal weather.I recall seeing the B-key altimeter setting mentioned in another thread here so haven't used it for a long while.I redid the African flight IFR gusi - gulb direct at FL200 last night with no other checkpoints. After being ordered down from FL200 to FL120 I got another delay vector which ended before I finished the turn. To make the flight more interesting, a minute later I also got a bollocking for straying off route 'Do you dare show yourself on MY radar??? How dare you sir, how dare you? As you value your life, get back over there this instant!' :( It must be something I've broken... I'll try again with all mesh & scenery disabled and let you know how I got on.(I'll have to try a different plane too in case that gauge really is broken, though Shift+Z seems to match).Again, thank you.D

Hello again.Time's been short over the last few days. I can confirm the problem isn't caused by any add-on scenery (unless they still have an effect when installed but disabled).I just redownloaded FSUIPC 3.98a & will replace the existing this evening.Tomorrow I'll try reinstalling RC4.3. Is there anything special I need to know about un- and re-installing it?Out of curiosity, the TL's in the controller window don't match RC4's initial FS9 dialogue box. Why is that? The two screenshots below are from the same flight & plan (sorry about the scale- I was having difficulty with jpeg dithering)...Regards,Dave

Hello again.Time's been short over the last few days. I can confirm the problem isn't caused by any add-on scenery (unless they still have an effect when installed but disabled).I just redownloaded FSUIPC 3.98a & will replace the existing this evening.Tomorrow I'll try reinstalling RC4.3. Is there anything special I need to know about un- and re-installing it?Out of curiosity, the TL's in the controller window don't match RC4's initial FS9 dialogue box. Why is that? The two screenshots below are from the same flight & plan (sorry about the scale- I was having difficulty with jpeg dithering)...Regards,Dave
might be a good time to re-read the section of the manual, specifically the section on transition altitude, transition level, and the differences between the two. the transition altitude on the rc screen and the transition level displayed on the rc menu screen, will always be different. that's why rc shows "transition level" - "by ATC" in the rc screen.jd

Oh! :( I just learnt something.I think I'll settle down with the manual, a coffee and a cream cake this weekend & see what else I've overlooked...Replacing FSUIPC made no difference. I don't expect replacing RC4 to do so either- I'm pretty sure it's FS9 that's messing me about. I'll let you know.Regards,D

I think I'll settle down with the manual, a coffee and a cream cake this weekend & see what else I've overlooked...
With a manual that size I'd be inclined to buy more than one cake. Then again, I do like cream cakes. :(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well, back again...Reinstalling RC4.3 made no difference. Addons, mesh et c. make no difference. I'm dithering now- I'm no longer sure that FS9 is at fault either. It seems that all altitudes and FLs correctly follow the +/-300' rule but that there's a fault with the crossings related to the QNH. I'm pretty sure that at 29.62" a flight level of XY will translate into an altitude of XX704' but the crossing threshold appears to be 300 feet lower than that at XX404'.With QNH=29.62" (and altimeter set to 29.92) I seem to be making the crossing 300 feet above my assigned FL when at xx704' and can't work out why. The strange thing is that I never get erroneous earache from the controller for being off my assigned altitude when cruising or when down & level, only during the crossing. 'It's really odd, that the altitude I'm seeing you're at, at the center switch, and at approach, is off by more than 300 ft. when you report in at FL123 for FL120, I actually see you at FL117. And when you check in at FL93 for FL90, I see you at FL87 for FL90' I've spent the last week making the same flight under dozens of different conditions while attempting to pinpoint the problem but have only established where, not what it is. So, if any reader has the patience, I'd be very grateful for confirmation that I'm not going insane: Set up a flight & plan from GUSI to GULB, IFR direct, FL130. I use FS9's own planner.Clear all weather except for QNH=29.62"Hg (1003 mbar). I use FS9's weather with rate of change = 0.Handle all flying and comms yourself, but use the aircraft's AP for the FLs.With a fast jet, this is a 25 minute flight, about 180 miles.In RC, set altitude deviation to the default 300 feet.At cruise FL, set your altimeter such that your altitude (by Shift+Z) is a few feet over 12704 feet. As far as I know, this is the correct altitude for FL130 when QNH=29.62".When ordered down from FL130 ready for the crossing into GULB, check your aircraft settles at XX710 feet then wait and see if you receive a delay vector.Try the flight again, altering the altimeter so you fly at about XX695 feet and listen out again. If you don't get the delay at all there's definitely something wrong with my PC.If QNH = 29.62" (1003mbar) and I deviate from cruise FL I get a ticking off at 300 feet or 3 FL away from whatever I've been assigned. If I deviate from my assigned crossing level I get a bollocking at +6 feet or -600 feet (an offset of 300 feet) which matches what JD sees in the log. If QNH <> 29.62" (1003 mbar) then everything is fine, everywhere. So if no one else can reproduce the fault I'm going to have to go with it being a ghost, and use a workaround of never flying when QNH = 1003 mbar. Disappointing, yes, but I can't go any further.Care to spend 30 minutes on it one evening?Cheers all, and thanks JD for your time.Dave