Sign in to follow this  
cenkcnk

Real World Weather

is there any real world weather program except fsmetar? i can't use it on windows 7 due to msinet.ocx error.i need another online freeware metar program. vatsim or ivao metar files would be fine.

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

is there any real world weather program except fsmetar? i can't use it on windows 7 due to msinet.ocx error.i need another online freeware metar program. vatsim or ivao metar files would be fine.
There is REX v2 but it is not free. But it is worth it!

isn't there any free metar program?

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

You should be able to run FSMetar.....Install the three .OCX files from here:Extract each cab file and place them into your FSMetar folderhttp://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/msinet.cabhttp://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomctl.cabhttp://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/comdlg32.cabI'm actually having a problem getting the weather to show up in FSX. I can run the program and the text will display on screen that a new metar was download but the physical weather DOES NOT reflect the metar. In the FSMetar manual it said something about registering FSMetar with FSUIPC. How do I do this?Could you help me at all?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm actually having a problem getting the weather to show up in FSX. I can run the program and the text will display on screen that a new metar was download but the physical weather DOES NOT reflect the metar. In the FSMetar manual it said something about registering FSMetar with FSUIPC. How do I do this?Could you help me at all?
I didn't think FSMetar ran in FSX - if it does then that's great.There is a pdf with the FSMetar download and it has the following which you key into FSUIPC if you are not a registered FSUIPC member:Product name: FSMetarKey: U90O 7AMH 4PAINote that it is U-nine-zero-O in the first setThese instructions were for the FSUIPC3 so I have no idea if they are still current.Try it anyway.CheersMike

These instructions were for the FSUIPC3 so I have no idea if they are still current.
That's what I'm confused about - I read the manual for FSMetar but I have no idea how to "register" this key with FSUIPC.... I have version 4.6

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi,Those are very old instructions. Nothing in FSUIPC needs to be registered anymore. That is why you can't find the option, because it isn't there anymore!

Hi,Those are very old instructions. Nothing in FSUIPC needs to be registered anymore. That is why you can't find the option, because it isn't there anymore!
FS Metar works in W7. Just did a flight. Took of and then started FS Metar and weather vhanged to exactly what was outside my window(house of course). I use the VATSIM weather source in the program. Normally I start FSX and the FSMETAR. My Default start is clear weather just to not have any lingering values that might cause issues. Regardless it works. Put in the OCX files as above. Any recent FSUIPC running. Start FSX then FS Metar. Select weather source. It shouls automatically find FSUIPC and conect to FSX via that clever program. You can examine the actual weather in the FSX custom weather section if you are curious. Use Google to find FS Metar. I always forget the link.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

FS Metar works in W7. Just did a flight.
Do you have the registered FSUIPC version?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I am sure that in the earlier days of FSX I had read a post that said FSMetar did not work in FSX and so never bothered to install it.Since reading this posting I have dug out my previous version (from FS9 times) of FSMetar and installed it in FSX. It works just fine.I have a registered version of FSUIPC.Make sure that in the weather setup on FSX you select "custom". This then links in FSMetar when you fire it up.I have many saved Metars going back to 2003 that had useful weather conditions for flying. I have tried two or three and they are responding well.I have used the Vatsim server for my updates because it is fast and reliable.Thanks for the posting on FSMetar.Hope this helps.CheersMike

Mike - Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!Setting the weather to "user defined" lets it read the FSMetar wooo!Yay!! Working!!On a related not - I think the main part of my problem was having my default flight load "real weather," something got corrupted. Last night I deleted wxstationlist.bin from my FSX username folder and let FSX rebuild a new one. This morning the real world weather seemed to sorta be working, but it appeared to be out of date by at least 1 hr.... which before it seemed to update every 15-20 min. So something is still fishy with the weather server or zone server wherever it is located...OH! One final thing I thought of - since the METAR in the US at least, only ever reports visibility at 10m - does the FSMetar only show 10 miles everytime? Even on a clear day where its 40 miles??Opps and another: What does "weather smoothing" do in the registered version of FSUIPC? At first I was thinking of buying ASE but now I might just register FSUIPc because a few of my other addons use it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

OH! One final thing I thought of - since the METAR in the US at least, only ever reports visibility at 10m - does the FSMetar only show 10 miles everytime? Even on a clear day where its 40 miles??Opps and another: What does "weather smoothing" do in the registered version of FSUIPC? At first I was thinking of buying ASE but now I might just register FSUIPc because a few of my other addons use it.
I am attaching a printout of a couple of metars from 2007 (even though it of course displays for the current year 2010)I mainly do development rather than flying nowadays so it is some months since I have actually flown. I still have jumps in changing as a new station reports a different set of weather conditions. I like having FSUIPC because of its flexiblility - I bought mine when I was tossing up whether to go with a weather program or not - went for FSUIPC and am quite happy. I am not one who insists that the weather must be right up to date but I do like having variable conditions over a period of time.CheersMike