Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Photo-Scenery AND Autogen?

Has anyone come up with a method to allow Autogen to appear when using Photo-Scenery?

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

There's no special method needed. Autogen is added to photoscenery using the Annotator from the FSX SDK. Even if you use someone else's photoscenery that doesn't have autogen, you can add it yourself. Having said that, it's a very tedious process, and you'll give yourself an RSI annotating a large area. Still, it's entirely possible.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I was hoping to avoid tediuos and use lazy. Will refresh my Annotator technique. Thanks

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

What is the annotator technique?I have recently bought megasceneryx SoCAL and Colorado and was wondering how I can increase the level of autogen. Can someone tell me how in layman's terms?Also, where can I find photoscenery for other parts of the USA and Europe/Asia?Thanks!

I think you just need to move the autogen slider to the right to increase the autogen level.
That (obviously) will only work when there IS autogen... Most photoreal scenery don't have any autogen at all. If it has, is has been added to it manually (annonated). You can't simply let the default autogen popup on photoreal scenery (which would give very odd results if you could btw).

Yankeegolf3, the photoscenery shown doesn't look very good. Has anyone ever bought these, if so, would you recommend it?Also, I see some autogen for megasceneryx Colorado and SoCAL, so these were handpicked by the developers? So it's not really "autogen"?So do these addons automatically remove any autogen?Thanks.

Hi Hirgab, the scenery in question is basically a large area for small money - to do this, there are some compromises. However, for round $8 per state, you get most of the USA. You cant really complain at that can you? Here are some threads of mine featuring the scenery - you can make your own mind up as to how good it is from my shots....http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=267868&hl=http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=267470&hl=http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=267470&hl=http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=266544&hl=Personally, I think $ for $ its the best value scenery you can get. Its not perfect and some areas are better than others, but the differnce it makes from using the standard scenery is amazing...Cheers, Mark

hiI fully agree with Mark. It is very good value for money and I recommend it. In fact since I bought it I've only flown over Simsavvy photoscenery. I use VFR charts and can easily spot every landmarks, every terrain features , it is great and I enjoy it very much. Not perfect but given the price and the area coverage it is really worth it. You can download samples and see if you like it.Take care.

Guest NoNewMessages
So do these addons automatically remove any autogen?
Autogen (trees and buildings) are assigned (placed) to a specific texture. That texture can be the default texture set(s) or photo scenery based textures. Photo scenery takes rendering priority over default textures in most every case. If the photo scenery does not have autogen assigned to it, none will display.Note that autogen, be it for default or photo scenery, will have a higher display priority in the rendering process. Part of the rendering process is to continually sharpen the clarity of textures and mesh. If too much time is spent rendering autogen you will not see the sharpest textures drawn or the mesh fully rendered.I flew around O'ahu with all kinds of scenery loaded and the lack of texture resolution in the area was stunning, but to be expected. Good thing I didn't have any AI traffic active or it might have been worse. And that's with an i7 930 processor!

What is the annotator technique?I have recently bought megasceneryx SoCAL and Colorado and was wondering how I can increase the level of autogen. Can someone tell me how in layman's terms?Also, where can I find photoscenery for other parts of the USA and Europe/Asia?Thanks!
Hi! For USA there are a bunch by now. One new commer is VERO wich is annotated. Of course BlueSky sceneries offers hundreds of gigs of HQ scenery.EUROPE: free ones, Netherland NL2000 and Spain via the AirHispania forum. There are some part of Italy and also the mystic SIRX (wich is not yet available) paywares from Aerosoft are: Germany, Austria, Switzerland.FranceVFR series especially the FSX mades one, not the FS2004 ported ones. RV

paywares from Aerosoft are: Germany, Austria, Switzerland.RV
Nope, that's not true!There is no photoreal scenery (except for single airport sceneries) for Austria. There is only a package avilable with enanced or cutomized land class, mesh and added cutom buildings. But no phoreal scenery covering the whole of Austria.Wolfgang

Guest anthony31fs

Annotator.exe is part of the FSX SDK (SDK/Environment Kit/Autogen SDK) and looks like the attached picture.To annotate you have to put in all those little boxes and it takes a long long time. Annotating something like a square km of city (which is hardest) would take me maybe 20-30 minutes.