•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

Photo-Scenery AND Autogen?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 nudata

nudata

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,673 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 25 Days Ago.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Has anyone come up with a method to allow Autogen to appear when using Photo-Scenery?

regards,
Dick near Pittsburgh, USA   I2550K 3.3ghz, 8gb memory, GTX550 1gb

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 spotlope

spotlope

Scenery Wonk

• Commercial Member
  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 1 Month and 16 Days Ago.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

There's no special method needed. Autogen is added to photoscenery using the Annotator from the FSX SDK. Even if you use someone else's photoscenery that doesn't have autogen, you can add it yourself. Having said that, it's a very tedious process, and you'll give yourself an RSI annotating a large area. Still, it's entirely possible.
Bill Womack
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

#3 nudata

nudata

Member - 1,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:40 AM

I was hoping to avoid tediuos and use lazy. Will refresh my Annotator technique. Thanks

regards,
Dick near Pittsburgh, USA   I2550K 3.3ghz, 8gb memory, GTX550 1gb

#4 Hirgab

Hirgab

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 2 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

What is the annotator technique?I have recently bought megasceneryx SoCAL and Colorado and was wondering how I can increase the level of autogen. Can someone tell me how in layman's terms?Also, where can I find photoscenery for other parts of the USA and Europe/Asia?Thanks!

#5 yankeegolf3

yankeegolf3

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 6 Months and 17 Days Ago.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

hi,I think you just need to move the autogen slider to the right to increase the autogen level. Personally, I prefer zero autogen with photoscenery.If you want photoscenery for other parts of the US: http://www.sim-savvy.com/take care

#6 J van E

J van E

Member - 5,000+

• Members
  • 7,279 posts
  • Joined 8 Years and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

I think you just need to move the autogen slider to the right to increase the autogen level.

That (obviously) will only work when there IS autogen... Most photoreal scenery don't have any autogen at all. If it has, is has been added to it manually (annonated). You can't simply let the default autogen popup on photoreal scenery (which would give very odd results if you could btw).

With regards,

Jeroen

#7 Hirgab

Hirgab

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 2 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:44 PM

Yankeegolf3, the photoscenery shown doesn't look very good. Has anyone ever bought these, if so, would you recommend it?Also, I see some autogen for megasceneryx Colorado and SoCAL, so these were handpicked by the developers? So it's not really "autogen"?So do these addons automatically remove any autogen?Thanks.

#8 markturner

markturner

• Commercial Member
  • 798 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 4 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Hi Hirgab, the scenery in question is basically a large area for small money - to do this, there are some compromises. However, for round $8 per state, you get most of the USA. You cant really complain at that can you? Here are some threads of mine featuring the scenery - you can make your own mind up as to how good it is from my shots....http://forums1.avsim...topic=267868=http://forums1.avsim...topic=267470=http://forums1.avsim...topic=267470=http://forums1.avsim...topic=266544=Personally, I think $ for $ its the best value scenery you can get. Its not perfect and some areas are better than others, but the differnce it makes from using the standard scenery is amazing...Cheers, Mark
Asus Sabertooth i7 950 @4GHz 2 GTX580 SLi 6GB ram Win7 on SSD FSX on SSD Dell 30 inch TM Warthog plus RSFSSB3 mod

#9 yankeegolf3

yankeegolf3

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 6 Months and 17 Days Ago.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

hiI fully agree with Mark. It is very good value for money and I recommend it. In fact since I bought it I've only flown over Simsavvy photoscenery. I use VFR charts and can easily spot every landmarks, every terrain features , it is great and I enjoy it very much. Not perfect but given the price and the area coverage it is really worth it. You can download samples and see if you like it.Take care.

#10 Inactive Member_NoNewMessages_***

Inactive Member_NoNewMessages_***
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

So do these addons automatically remove any autogen?

Autogen (trees and buildings) are assigned (placed) to a specific texture. That texture can be the default texture set(s) or photo scenery based textures. Photo scenery takes rendering priority over default textures in most every case. If the photo scenery does not have autogen assigned to it, none will display.Note that autogen, be it for default or photo scenery, will have a higher display priority in the rendering process. Part of the rendering process is to continually sharpen the clarity of textures and mesh. If too much time is spent rendering autogen you will not see the sharpest textures drawn or the mesh fully rendered.I flew around O'ahu with all kinds of scenery loaded and the lack of texture resolution in the area was stunning, but to be expected. Good thing I didn't have any AI traffic active or it might have been worse. And that's with an i7 930 processor!

#11 LuisFelizTirado

LuisFelizTirado

Scenery Design

• Members
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

To place autogen using the Autogen Annotator, please read:Using the Autogen Annotatoravailable in the Avsim library:http://library.avsim...hp?&DLID=140537Best regards.Luis
Posted Image Hot, humid Caribbean paradise!

#12 renevirgo

renevirgo

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 5 Years and 15 Days Ago.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:32 AM

What is the annotator technique?I have recently bought megasceneryx SoCAL and Colorado and was wondering how I can increase the level of autogen. Can someone tell me how in layman's terms?Also, where can I find photoscenery for other parts of the USA and Europe/Asia?Thanks!

Hi! For USA there are a bunch by now. One new commer is VERO wich is annotated. Of course BlueSky sceneries offers hundreds of gigs of HQ scenery.EUROPE: free ones, Netherland NL2000 and Spain via the AirHispania forum. There are some part of Italy and also the mystic SIRX (wich is not yet available) paywares from Aerosoft are: Germany, Austria, Switzerland.FranceVFR series especially the FSX mades one, not the FS2004 ported ones. RV
See U in the cloud(s)
Galleries
@FlyEM
Flying Ideas

#13 Wolfko

Wolfko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:23 AM

paywares from Aerosoft are: Germany, Austria, Switzerland.RV

Nope, that's not true!There is no photoreal scenery (except for single airport sceneries) for Austria. There is only a package avilable with enanced or cutomized land class, mesh and added cutom buildings. But no phoreal scenery covering the whole of Austria.Wolfgang

#14 Inactive Member_anthony31fs_***

Inactive Member_anthony31fs_***
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

Annotator.exe is part of the FSX SDK (SDK/Environment Kit/Autogen SDK) and looks like the attached picture.To annotate you have to put in all those little boxes and it takes a long long time. Annotating something like a square km of city (which is hardest) would take me maybe 20-30 minutes.

#15 PIC007

PIC007

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,965 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 16 Days Ago.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

Here is a link to some of the best photo real I have seen, and the best part is its free....but it is a pain to downloadhttp://www.blueskysc....com/index.html
Jay

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!