Sign in to follow this  
7107delicious

Gary Herbert's B-17 for FS9

Hello fellow AVSIMmers, I've been lurking on the Gary Herbert B-17 Flying Fortress, which was originally bulit for FS9 4 years ago. I've been wondering if that aircraft really works within the FSX platform. Does it?Regards,Dave

Hello fellow AVSIMmers, I've been lurking on the Gary Herbert B-17 Flying Fortress, which was originally bulit for FS9 4 years ago. I've been wondering if that aircraft really works within the FSX platform. Does it?Regards,Dave
It took me all of five minutes to download it and install it in FSX -It seems to display properly and the few functions like bomb bay doors and exit door all worked. Did not fly it so cannot comment on that.Try it yourself and be the judge.

It took me all of five minutes to download it and install it in FSX -It seems to display properly and the few functions like bomb bay doors and exit door all worked. Did not fly it so cannot comment on that.Try it yourself and be the judge.
Why five minutes? My download only took 2-3 minutes! I'll check the VC's condition. If any gauges are missing, I'm gonna take a B-17 panel for Erwin Welker that although uses all default DC-3 gauges, will give the model at least a 2D panel. Personally, I like flying in 2D cockpits better.

Why five minutes? My download only took 2-3 minutes! I'll check the VC's condition. If any gauges are missing, I'm gonna take a B-17 panel for Erwin Welker that although uses all default DC-3 gauges, will give the model at least a 2D panel. Personally, I like flying in 2D cockpits better.
A closer look does reveal some texture issues (transparent) and I not sure how that might overcome.I also prefer a 2D cockpit so will have to look for a suitable one which works in FSX. FYI - the fine 2D cockpit by Peter Mercy (for FS2004) does not work in FSX - too many old gauges which are not supported by FSX were used.The time I mentioned also included unzipping it and checking it out before manually placing it in FSX.Besides, I had only had one cup of coffee at the time........lol.

To be honest, if you have FSX and you use a Flying Fortress other than the A2A B-17G with Accusim, then you are selling yourself extremely short. The A2A B-17 is a serious contender for the best aircraft ever made for FSX.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

But seriously Chock, I don't like payware. In my country, payware add-ons are hard to find, and if there were, those were bootlegs and they won't work properly within FSX. I tested the Wings of Power: B-17 Flying Fortress package once and while it looks good from the outside, the interior is a whole different story. The bootlegged version has the virtual cockpit looking so simple.

How can an add-on that is purchased over the internet be hard to find? You go to the site, pay for it, download it, and there it is.Al

Alan Bradbury

Well, my family's economy is rather sub-par, and ever since my mother came into an incident over an internet purchase on Amazon 4-5 years ago, my parents won't let me buy online.

Well, if finances are tight that's unfortunate, nevertheless, it is possible to buy the A2A B-17 pay via a bank transfer and receive it on CD rather than making an online transaction, you can do that from Simmarket amongst other places.Al

Alan Bradbury