•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

Gary Herbert's B-17 for FS9

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 7107delicious

7107delicious

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 6 Months and 3 Days Ago.

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:53 AM

Hello fellow AVSIMmers, I've been lurking on the Gary Herbert B-17 Flying Fortress, which was originally bulit for FS9 4 years ago. I've been wondering if that aircraft really works within the FSX platform. Does it?Regards,Dave
"It goes without saying that when survival is threatened, struggles erupt between peoples, and unfortunate wars between nations result." -HIDEKI TOJO

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 Opa

Opa

FS Addict - No hope for recovery!

• DECEASED
  • 4,420 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 7 Months and 23 Days Ago.

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

Hello fellow AVSIMmers, I've been lurking on the Gary Herbert B-17 Flying Fortress, which was originally bulit for FS9 4 years ago. I've been wondering if that aircraft really works within the FSX platform. Does it?Regards,Dave

It took me all of five minutes to download it and install it in FSX -It seems to display properly and the few functions like bomb bay doors and exit door all worked. Did not fly it so cannot comment on that.Try it yourself and be the judge.
David "Opa" Marshall

#3 7107delicious

7107delicious

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

It took me all of five minutes to download it and install it in FSX -It seems to display properly and the few functions like bomb bay doors and exit door all worked. Did not fly it so cannot comment on that.Try it yourself and be the judge.

Why five minutes? My download only took 2-3 minutes! I'll check the VC's condition. If any gauges are missing, I'm gonna take a B-17 panel for Erwin Welker that although uses all default DC-3 gauges, will give the model at least a 2D panel. Personally, I like flying in 2D cockpits better.
"It goes without saying that when survival is threatened, struggles erupt between peoples, and unfortunate wars between nations result." -HIDEKI TOJO

#4 Opa

Opa

FS Addict - No hope for recovery!

• DECEASED
  • 4,420 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 7 Months and 23 Days Ago.

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

Why five minutes? My download only took 2-3 minutes! I'll check the VC's condition. If any gauges are missing, I'm gonna take a B-17 panel for Erwin Welker that although uses all default DC-3 gauges, will give the model at least a 2D panel. Personally, I like flying in 2D cockpits better.

A closer look does reveal some texture issues (transparent) and I not sure how that might overcome.I also prefer a 2D cockpit so will have to look for a suitable one which works in FSX. FYI - the fine 2D cockpit by Peter Mercy (for FS2004) does not work in FSX - too many old gauges which are not supported by FSX were used.The time I mentioned also included unzipping it and checking it out before manually placing it in FSX.Besides, I had only had one cup of coffee at the time........lol.
David "Opa" Marshall

#5 Chock

Chock

• Members
  • 7,109 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 10 Months and 9 Days Ago.

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

To be honest, if you have FSX and you use a Flying Fortress other than the A2A B-17G with Accusim, then you are selling yourself extremely short. The A2A B-17 is a serious contender for the best aircraft ever made for FSX.Al

Alan Bradbury - abradbury@avsim.com

Posted Image

Run! Get to da choppaaa!

#6 7107delicious

7107delicious

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

But seriously Chock, I don't like payware. In my country, payware add-ons are hard to find, and if there were, those were bootlegs and they won't work properly within FSX. I tested the Wings of Power: B-17 Flying Fortress package once and while it looks good from the outside, the interior is a whole different story. The bootlegged version has the virtual cockpit looking so simple.

#7 Chock

Chock

• Members
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:50 PM

How can an add-on that is purchased over the internet be hard to find? You go to the site, pay for it, download it, and there it is.Al

Posted Image

Run! Get to da choppaaa!

#8 7107delicious

7107delicious

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

Well, my family's economy is rather sub-par, and ever since my mother came into an incident over an internet purchase on Amazon 4-5 years ago, my parents won't let me buy online.

#9 Chock

Chock

• Members
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

Well, if finances are tight that's unfortunate, nevertheless, it is possible to buy the A2A B-17 pay via a bank transfer and receive it on CD rather than making an online transaction, you can do that from Simmarket amongst other places.Al

Posted Image

Run! Get to da choppaaa!

#10 7107delicious

7107delicious

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:44 AM

Never heard of that, but I'll try and see if my mother allows me to do so.