Sign in to follow this  
frank1223

Best runway lights?

:( which are you currently using for the runway lights texture? (which is halo.bmp) And which do you think is the most realistic?maybe from REX? or any others? :( Frank

Z. C

Hi,I use the one I created. :( http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=149396Along with the following settings:RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2 //Runway LightsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // VASI LightsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.9 // Approach BarsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.9 // Strobes

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi,I use the one I created. :( http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=149396Along with the following settings:RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2 //Runway LightsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // VASI LightsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.9 // Approach BarsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.9 // Strobes
Mike,I tried this and I must have done something wrong. I'm getting NO runway lights now, and I thought I followed the instructions completely. I downloaded the file and replaced the fx_strobe.fx and fx_strobeh.fx into the effects folder. Copied the fx_2.bmp into the effects/texture folder, and replaced the halo.bmp in the texture folder. I added the linesRUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2 //Runway LightsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // VASI LightsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.9 // Approach BarsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.9 // Strobesto my config file and I get no lights at all. Was I supposed to replace the original files or add to them?Of course...I read all the reviews and decided to just DO IT.....and didn't follow your advice and back up the originals. Do you know what I did wrong? I look forward to your analysis.Stan

I installed mike's lights and I find them very dim and thin at night. I suspect his replacement halo.bmp is the reason. Having said that, I believe that is intentionally done to eliminate the glaring "balloon" like landing lights of AI aircraft in daytime hours. I believe his lights are best for daytime hours, and if you fly at nighttime, it would be best to use a backed up original halo.bmp to restore the brightness of the runway lights. I seldom do night time flights, but I did notice if I use the original halo.bmp, the runway lights are back to normal.

Hi Stan,I'm sorry your having a problem.Guess I should of also mentioned, these lights were originally designed for someone using a triple monitor type setup. You could try and increase the config settings listed below.RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2 //Runway LightsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // VASI LightsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.9 // Approach BarsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.9 // StrobesThis is what the night lighting looks like on my systemmylights1.jpgmylights2.jpgmylights3.jpgmylights4.jpgmylights5.jpgFor those who like light bloommylights6.jpgmylights7.jpgmylights8.jpg

Mike,I tried this and I must have done something wrong. I'm getting NO runway lights now, and I thought I followed the instructions completely. I downloaded the file and replaced the fx_strobe.fx and fx_strobeh.fx into the effects folder. Copied the fx_2.bmp into the effects/texture folder, and replaced the halo.bmp in the texture folder. I added the linesRUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2 //Runway LightsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // VASI LightsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.9 // Approach BarsRUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.9 // Strobesto my config file and I get no lights at all. Was I supposed to replace the original files or add to them?Of course...I read all the reviews and decided to just DO IT.....and didn't follow your advice and back up the originals. Do you know what I did wrong? I look forward to your analysis.Stan

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I installed mike's lights and I find them very dim and thin at night. I suspect his replacement halo.bmp is the reason. Having said that, I believe that is intentionally done to eliminate the glaring "balloon" like landing lights of AI aircraft in daytime hours. I believe his lights are best for daytime hours, and if you fly at nighttime, it would be best to use a backed up original halo.bmp to restore the brightness of the runway lights. I seldom do night time flights, but I did notice if I use the original halo.bmp, the runway lights are back to normal.
Since I didn't back up my original halo and strobe files, I would appreciate if you could email them to me. Mike's lights were meant for multiple montitor setups. Wish I had known that. I'd hate to do a "restore" on my computer if I can avoid it. If you can't email those runway light files, I'd understand.Thanks,Stanspilok@ptd.net

Hi Stan,Files sent.

Since I didn't back up my original halo and strobe files, I would appreciate if you could email them to me. Mike's lights were meant for multiple montitor setups. Wish I had known that. I'd hate to do a "restore" on my computer if I can avoid it. If you can't email those runway light files, I'd understand.Thanks,Stanspilok@ptd.net

Hi Stan,Files sent.
Thank you. Much appreciated.Stan

Mike,I never got a chance to say THANK YOU for getting rid of that annoying circle of light around aircraft.I really appreciate it.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I have my settings (in fsx.cfg) as follows and they are the most realistic (IMO). FSX overdid the brightness on VASI lights. Watch any video on youtube of a plane landing during the day. You won't see VASI lights as bright as the ones in FSX. 0.25 gets them down to normal brightness.RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.25RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=.75RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0