Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

How to set AA in FS9 and FSX for Nvidia's 2xx.xx drivers (now with working Transparency AA!)

THREAD IS NOW SUPERSEDED BY VERSION 2.0 AVAILABLE HERE:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/EDIT: 12/16/2010Starting with 1.93, Nvidia Inspector adds all the functionality that used to be present in nHancer and now includes a GUI for editing profiles - no more cryptic feature names!Get the latest version here:http://blog.orbmu2k....-inspector-toolHere's how I have it set - same settings for both FS9 and FSX (I decided to switch to override mode in FSX vs. enhance soley because people reported issues using FSInn and other apps that run inside of FS when it was set to enhance) - the settings that are grayed out should be left alone, they're inherited down from the global profile, which should be left at its defaults so as to not mess up other games you may run besides FS.Just run Nvidia Inspector and edit the MS Flight Simulator X and/or FS9 profile to match the settings in bold shown here - there is no need to open the default Nvidia Control Panel and edit anything there like this post used to describe prior to version 1.93.nvidiainspector.jpg

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Great post Ryan. I've been holding off the new series of drivers until an updated nhancer is released, but with all this info in one place I might as well try them out now.Has anyone seen a noticeable improvement in fs9 with these? Undoubtedly I've seen improvements on my gaming machine in several games but i've left the 197.45's on my fs computer as I'm not really expecting any difference.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together Ryan!

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Great post Ryan. I've been holding off the new series of drivers until an updated nhancer is released, but with all this info in one place I might as well try them out now.Has anyone seen a noticeable improvement in fs9 with these? Undoubtedly I've seen improvements on my gaming machine in several games but i've left the 197.45's on my fs computer as I'm not really expecting any difference.
I think the idea of new drivers actually doing anything specific to improve performance in games that are so many years old like FS9 and FSX is pretty much placebo effect unless it relates to some kind of global optimization Nvidia did that speeds every game up. Both Nvidia and ATI publish the game-specific fixes/improvements in each driver in the release notes and it's been years since I've seen anything relating to FS in them.The big reason people like me update drivers is because I'm a gamer outside of FS too - for example there's bound to be a new driver release in the coming days or weeks that optimizes performance in Starcraft II, I was standing in line for that game at midnight this past week haha, so you can bet I want it to perform as well as it can.If all you use your system for is FS, then by all means stay on the 197.45 driver that still works with nHancer.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

It should however be mentioned that those with older cards can simply use 197.xx:)EDIT: Damn, beat me to it.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Thanks a lot Ryan! I had to get a new graphics card, because my old one died yesterday and was quiet despaired because nHancer didn't work no more. Your solution works like a charm!

Be advise that many of these AA modes listed here don't actually work or will cause strange issues. If you can run it, just stick to the 8xS one.)
did I get this right and you can't really get any more AA than 8xS to work properly in FSX?does this mean that people who claim SLI helps with increased levels of AA are not really seeing more AA?

did I get this right and you can't really get any more AA than 8xS to work properly in FSX?does this mean that people who claim SLI helps with increased levels of AA are not really seeing more AA?
No no, I'm just saying that SOME of the modes present in that list do not work correctly on all cards/configurations and can cause issues. That list includes what nHancer called "experimental" modes. Nvidia considers even 8xS to be one of these - it's not available in the driver control panel, you have to use one of these utilities to enable it. You're certainly free to try whatever you like, I don't think it can actually hurt anything, just that the sim may not actually run, you may see weird artifacts/issues etc. All of the standard modes that are present in the driver control panel will work for sure, but stuff outside of that may be up in the air depending on exactly what config you have.SLI doing higher AA levels absolutely is true - those modes become visible in the driver control panel when you have SLI.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Thanks Ryan - works like a charm :)

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Ok, thanks again Ryan. I wonder if those modes look that much better.BTW, has your new 460 arrived yet? I'd love to hear what you think of it. I know you play other games, but I'd like to know what you see in FSX with the 460 please, and if the massive OC those cards do helps at all in FSX

SLI doing higher AA levels absolutely is true - those modes become visible in the driver control panel when you have SLI.

For FSX I am currently using:(AA box is UN-checked and Trilinear selected)a. Antialiasing - Behavior Flags: AA_BEHAVIOR_FLAGS_DISABLE_ENHANCEb. Antialiasing - Mode: AA_MODE_SELECTOR_OVERRIDEc. Antialiasing - Setting: AA_MODE_METHOD_MIXEDSAMPLE_32Xd. Antialiasing - Transparent Multisampling: 0x00000000e. Antialiasing - Transparent Supersampling: AA_MODE_REPLAY_TRANSPARENCY_DEFAULT

With AA_MODE_METHOD_MIXEDSAMPLE_8X i have smooth edges but the image it`s very blurry. :(Ex:Using nvidia default settings: (Use my preference emphasizing: Quality)defaults.pngUsing Tabs settings with AA_MODE_METHOD_MIXEDSAMPLE_8Xaamodemethodmixedsample.pngUsing Tabs setting with AA_MODE_METHOD_MIXEDSAMPLE_8X_SKEWED_8TAPaamodemethodmixedsample.png

Ryan? :(

has your new 460 arrived yet? I'd love to hear what you think of it. I know you play other games, but I'd like to know what you see in FSX with the 460 please, and if the massive OC those cards do helps at all in FSX