Sign in to follow this  
Orbx

ESP Lives: Lockheed Martin launches Prepar3D

I've been aware of Lockheed Martin's licensing of ESP from Microsoft for some time, but they contacted me this week to announce the upcoming RTM of their custom OEM version of FSX/ESP (called "Prepar3D") for commercial use:http://www.prepar3d.com/They expect this to go RTM in about three months.This is good news for us, since our shareholders and partners needed a path forward to use our FTX products commercially. The interesting news is from Lockheed is that they are improving the codeline with bug fixes and improvements. I will certainly be lobbying them for multi-core CPU and DX10/11 support, and an extended animation engine.If we can get some current-gen tech smarts into the engine, we'll explore further options with this.Interesting times.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

I've been aware of Lockheed Martin's licensing of ESP from Microsoft for some time, but they contacted me this week to announce the upcoming RTM of their custom OEM version of FSX/ESP (called "Prepar3D") for commercial use:http://www.prepar3d.com/They expect this to go RTM in about three months.This is good news for us, since our shareholders and partners needed a path forward to use our FTX products commercially. The interesting news is from Lockheed is that they are improving the codeline with bug fixes and improvements. I will certainly be lobbying them for multi-core CPU and DX10/11 support, and an extended animation engine.If we can get some current-gen tech smarts into the engine, we'll explore further options with this.Interesting times.
That might open up the doors to a whole lot of interesting possibilities doesn't it? Good news.Kind Regards,Stephen

Which is all fine and dandy for professional flight training, but of absolutely zero benefit for "entertainment users," since the LM license specifically prohibits sale and/or licensing of their product to any but commercial training markets...Not to mention the astronomical costs their "solutions" will without a doubt be... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hmm, I can see it now "AVSIM Training Academy." The future looks great!But seriously I am glad to read that the code may be improved although there may hardly be any benefit to us unless you come to an agreement with Lockheed.

\Robert Hamlich/

Guest anthony31fs

But this looks interesting from the prepar3d website:"Purchase of Prepar3D™ add-ons (also compatible with FSX SP2)"Also from the website:Disclaimer: Lockheed Martin Prepar3D™ is intended for use in non-entertainment applications only. Our license agreement states that we cannot sell the Prepar3D™ application for entertainment use. If your intended use is for entertainment and not training or other professional use, please do not apply to purchase the client software. Add-ons and other software that are compatible with FSX SP2 are not covered by the license agreement and may be purchased by anyone.

I could tell you what the new additions are, but then I would have to kill ya :-> I'm working as a contractor for that group now - basically back to doing what I was doing 18 months ago when MS shut ACES down.Also, I don't think the web address mentioned in the original post is quite ready for the public yet, so some of the content may still be placeholder (just so ya know).Tim

... basically back to doing what I was doing 18 months ago when MS shut ACES down.
Glad to hear that your talent is not being wasted Tim!

Mike Beckwith

I could tell you what the new additions are, but then I would have to kill ya :-> I'm working as a contractor for that group now - basically back to doing what I was doing 18 months ago when MS shut ACES down.Also, I don't think the web address mentioned in the original post is quite ready for the public yet, so some of the content may still be placeholder (just so ya know).Tim
Glad to hear this! Now where is the beerchug in the new forum...

It's so funny looking at those pictures on the "prepar3d" web site - they all say "prepar3d snapshots."In my mind I'm thinking: "FSX" (with a lower end PC see blurries lol)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Tim, understood; I'll ask the mods to remove this topic. It was mainly an FYI for developers here who have commercial products to sell.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

well this seems pretty interesting and has a lot of potential.how would 'professional use only' be enforced? signed note from a ppl instructor?? :)cheers-andy crosby

well this seems pretty interesting and has a lot of potential.how would 'professional use only' be enforced? signed note from a ppl instructor?? :)cheers-andy crosby
By its incredibly high price, most likely. :(

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

The truth? There's no UI in ESP. ESP can't be released with a UI like FS has... that would be considered 'for entertainment purposes'.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

The truth? There's no UI in ESP. ESP can't be released with a UI like FS has... that would be considered 'for entertainment purposes'.
Umm, how can putting in a UI make it for entertainment purposes? Microsoft were going to put the UI back in for ESP v2.0 because they realized that developers were just putting in the -dev switch when launching ESP to get the basic UI functionality switched back on. The whole idea was that developers would create their own solutions using ESP and that they would have their own fancy UI on top of it. What MS found was that users and developers (such as myself) wanted more UI out of the box to work with, not less because we could get solutions out of the box to our customers more quickly. You are incorrect in your assumption - a UI alone does not constitute an entertainment product, the intended use does.

I stated a UI like what FSX has. It's clear that the design of the FSX UI is for entertainment purposes.If you are a developer with ESP, then you are very well versed on the topic and know that I'm correct in my overly generic statement. ESP is not for personal use of any type whatsoever. Personal use would require a UI to accomplish what FSX can do for an individual. That would clearly and easily violate the licensing restrictions.ESP was and is designed for developing a commercial application to be used as a 'part' of other products or to be used as 'part' of other implementations such as training simulators, aircraft design environments... etc. It is not set up to be sold for individual use on a PC, standalone.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69