Sign in to follow this  
Javiz

Terrain.dll crashes FSX

Hello good people,Bit of a frustrated simpilot here i'm afraid... You see, i've got FSX finally running on this amazing monster machine now for about a week ( ALienware Area51ALX. i7-980X,GF GTX480, 12GB/1600Mhz Tri Channel Mem, 2x600GB plus 1x300GB Serial ATA HD's all at 10000RPM ( latter for FSX only) 30" Dell 3008WFP Flat Screen, Windows 7Pro 64bit) and haven't been able to complete a flight lasting longer then half an hour....'Normally' FSX will quit with the message 'FSX has stopped working.Once a solution for the problem has been found we'll let you know' Yeah, right.... But i have also met with a BSOD a couple times. So far i have installed REX,GEX,UTX ( US and Europe), FTX PNW, and UK/VFR GenX/Vol.1. A flight within the FTX/PNW area will last about 10 minutes before FSX quits, in all other area's it takes a bit less than half an hour. Have to say though that even with a clean FSX install i got a BSOD already within 15 minutes of flying. Error Log files will always name 'terrain.dll' as being the culprit...Otherwise i am completely at awe with FSX performance on this system, it's like finally having come home, hence my frustration... :( I cincerely hope anyone here might be familiar with this 'terrain.dll' problem and might be able to help me find a solution.Thank you so much in advance for any hints/tips ! :( Cheers,Jan

Jan

If your PC is overclocked you may not have a stable OC, reset your clock to to stock and see what happens.You could also try the uiautomationcore.dll fix and see if that helps even though your problem is the terrian.dll Dropping the vista uiautomationcore.dll into your main FSX folder will not hurt anything and it may help.http://forums1.avsim.net/topic/273341-heres-the-apparent-fix-to-fsx-crashing-win-7-x64/BSOD's can be caused my a number of things; drivers, software, hardware, etc. Try downloading BlueScreenView, this will give you a lot more information as to what is causing the BSOD's.http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.htmlYou probably do not want to hear this, but another thing you can do is to reformat all your non OS drive and the reformt your OS HD and reinstall Win7 then load FSX. If you do this make sure that you load FSX and then test, load one addon then test, load the next addon and then test. Do not load FSX and a bunch of addon's all that the same time.

My rig is very similar and I was experiencing the exact same thing. Reduce your sliders. All of those addons will significantly decrease your performance. That has been the only consistent fix for me.Bsod- I still get them. You can read your bsods but you will need a utility. It may help, in my case not.I would also suggest a few other things, like tuning. See NickNs guide on simaviation.com but it all starts with sliders.

supporter.jpg

Thanks much for your reply!

If your PC is overclocked you may not have a stable OC, reset your clock to to stock and see what happens.
No,overclocking is not needed, i have fps in regions i didn't even know they'd exist... :(
You could also try the uiautomationcore.dll fix and see if that helps even though your problem is the terrian.dll Dropping the vista uiautomationcore.dll into your main FSX folder will not hurt anything and it may help.
Thanks, but yes i did already try that and, as expected, it makes no difference.
BSOD's can be caused my a number of things; drivers, software, hardware, etc. Try downloading BlueScreenView, this will give you a lot more information as to what is causing the BSOD's.http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
Thank you, very interesting indeed! I did get a few BSOD's but usually it's the 'FSX had stopped working' i get whereafter FSX loads up again.
You probably do not want to hear this, but another thing you can do is to reformat all your non OS drive and the reformt your OS HD and reinstall Win7 then load FSX.
Well, one of the reasons i bought this new system was to not have to go through all that with my old system... :( ( HD's needed reformat ) The first program i installed on this brand new W7 system was FSX ( what else... B) ) and, like i said, within 10 or 15 minutes of flight with a virgin FSX i got this BSOD... I really wonder if reformatting the E drive on which FSX resides and reinstalling FSX would make any difference....? Btw, it's my first experience with W7 which, apart from the FSX crashes, i do like very much. I ran XP on my old system to great satisfaction ( although FSX would crash every now and then as well but certainly not in the frequency it does on my new W7 system )
If you do this make sure that you load FSX and then test, load one addon then test, load the next addon and then test. Do not load FSX and a bunch of addon's all that the same time.
Well,Yes, that's what i did.... run a virgin FSX without anything added resulting in a BSOD after 10/15 minutes.... I have seen BSOD's all my 'computer life' so it's not that i was extremely surprised....No matter the fancy Alienware case,latest hardware stuff inside and fancy W7 desktop it's still all ' lead over old iron' as we say overhere... :( Thanks much again for your reply !Cheers,Jan

Jan

My rig is very similar and I was experiencing the exact same thing. Reduce your sliders. All of those addons will significantly decrease your performance. That has been the only consistent fix for me.
Well, i got this BSOD within 10 minutes of flight with a virgin FSX, no addons at all.... But i will certainly try your suggestion, thanks !
I would also suggest a few other things, like tuning. See NickNs guide on simaviation.com but it all starts with sliders.
Thanks, good idea,yes. I finally have a system that can run FSX with almost all sliders maxed out, a flightsimmers dream come true,really... It *would* be a bit ironic to, again, having to shove the sliders back to regions they were before... not because of the fps but now for another reason... Still, i'll try any suggestion to get rid of the FSX crashes of course.Thanks again!CHeers,Jan

Jan

Thanks much again for your suggestions, Joseph, bringing back the sliders a bit seems to be the golden tip indeed! :smile:I would've never thought that bringing back the sliders would help in circumventing a BSOD or 'normal' FSX crash but it certainly looks like it did.I did a two hour flight in the FTX/PNW area without any problem ! Hurrah!!! :( Not as pretty as with all sliders maxed out surely ( i can see those high res ground textures popping up in the distance again... ) but it's great to have a good base now to possibly do more tweaking and testing.Very happy to see that FSX CAN run very well on my new W7 system without crashing.Thanks a lot again, you have certainly made my day ! :( Cheers,Jan

Jan

My rig is very similar and I was experiencing the exact same thing. Reduce your sliders. All of those addons will significantly decrease your performance. That has been the only consistent fix for me.Bsod- I still get them. You can read your bsods but you will need a utility. It may help, in my case not.I would also suggest a few other things, like tuning. See NickNs guide on simaviation.com but it all starts with sliders.
Your OC'd to 4.5Ghz, you get BSODs and you think your system is stable? The BSODs are your answer.

Just thought I would add my two penn'orth!I have suffered from the 10minute flight/BSOD for some time. 1 year ago I completely re-installed FSX and my add-ons including all areas of Generation X Photographic scenery - it took ages. For a long time all was well, I didn't add any more enhancements and was able to complete many long flights with a dual screen set-up with no poblems.About 2 months ago the dreaded 10minute flight/BSOD syndrome re-appeared. I really didn't want to re install everything and so began an extensive trawling of the internet to try and resolve the situation, all to no avail. However, during my research I encountered a number of posts seeming to indicate that repeated accessing of the menu within FSX caused the problem, I was unable to reproduce the effect. What it did was to make me think about the precise operations I was carrying out from the second I booted up FSX. What I did discover was that sometimes if I selected a different aircraft or starting airport from the main FSX Free Flight screen it would take an age before I was returned to the Free Flight screen. When I began my flight, up would crop the 10minute flight/BSOD.Now get this:If it takes a long time to select the alternative aircraft, when I am eventually returned to the Free Flight screen, I exit FSX. Then I re-start FSX and select a different aircraft it is loaded within seconds and I get back to my Free Flight screen. I then click on the Fly Now button and VOILA a trouble free flight of many hours - to date 3 hours without BSOD. Since adopting this procedure I have yet to experience the problem.Additional Notes:I do not access the in flight menu options during my flight - I don't know if this is significant, i don't do it just in case. Besides, it makes the flying experience more realistic as there is no menu in a real aircraft!I have had to sacrifice my dual screen set up as that seemed to cause the problem in spite of my 'cure'.I have not backed-off any of my sliders. I don't know if this helps anyone out there, but it costs nothing to try. I would be interested to know why this might have cured my problems.