Sign in to follow this  
DaveNC

Dreaded Out of Memory Error in FS9

Need some help troubleshooting. The past few flights I have made into KATL (Imaginesim) on about a 5 mile final I get the dreaded OOM meeting in FS9. This is while running Activesky, Imaginesims KATL and on VATSIM. When this happened last year, I refreshed my page file and that resolved the issue. I'm thinking it's an Imaginesim issue, because no other airport will it do that. I'm running an E8400 stock, 4 gigs of DDR3 memory, ATI 3850HD and FS is on a seperate drive. Could KATL have a memory leak?

If you OS is 32-bit, you may need to switch to 64-bit system, either Vista or W7. This will reduce the occurrence of OOM errors significantly.

If you OS is 32-bit, you may need to switch to 64-bit system, either Vista or W7. This will reduce the occurrence of OOM errors significantly.
It isn't an ImagineSim issue, don't "assume" ;)Search for Out of Memory, it has nothing to do with refreshing your pagefile...make your FS9 Largeaddressaware Implement the /3GB boot.ini on a 32 bit OS or upgrade to 64 Bit and it will solve your issues.-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Need some help troubleshooting. The past few flights I have made into KATL (Imaginesim) on about a 5 mile final I get the dreaded OOM meeting in FS9. This is while running Activesky, Imaginesims KATL and on VATSIM. When this happened last year, I refreshed my page file and that resolved the issue. I'm thinking it's an Imaginesim issue, because no other airport will it do that. I'm running an E8400 stock, 4 gigs of DDR3 memory, ATI 3850HD and FS is on a seperate drive. Could KATL have a memory leak?
It is unlikely to be due specifically to one scenery (they would soon know about that!), more likely a combination of add-ons that simply blow the safety valve. These problems do seem to occur most commonly when nearly completing a flight which is obviously annoying.As you can probably guess, you aren't actually running out of memory, you are running out of the memory that FS is able to use. You can find out much more about the problem looking through earlier forum discussions or searching the internet. A utility know as 4GB Patch usually solves the problem permanently. You can get it at http://ntcore.com/ but I recommend reading up about it first.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

forgot to mention that I'm running XP Home on 32 bit. I'll try the above mentioned. Ran so many months without the issue then it pops back up, annoying.

It is unlikely to be due specifically to one scenery (they would soon know about that!), more likely a combination of add-ons that simply blow the safety valve. These problems do seem to occur most commonly when nearly completing a flight which is obviously annoying.As you can probably guess, you aren't actually running out of memory, you are running out of the memory that FS is able to use. You can find out much more about the problem looking through earlier forum discussions or searching the internet. A utility know as 4GB Patch usually solves the problem permanently. You can get it at http://ntcore.com/ but I recommend reading up about it first.John
Hi, unfotunately this is a major and (usually) very difficult to fix problem. What I can say you. First, try to perform the 3GB switch told before. Second, I experienced lots of problem in last two months but now seems to be solved (:( ). I think my problems were due to an install of UT Europe and USA combined with FsWorld2004 Landclass. One month ago I reinstalled again FS9 without this last addon and for that point never had that problem. I reinstall almost every addons than before. So, hope to continue on this way.Third, if you can, buy a 64bit OS and upgrade your RAM memory to 6 o more GB.Bye.RR

Hi, unfotunately this is a major and (usually) very difficult to fix problem. What I can say you. First, try to perform the 3GB switch told before. Second, I experienced lots of problem in last two months but now seems to be solved (:( ). I think my problems were due to an install of UT Europe and USA combined with FsWorld2004 Landclass. One month ago I reinstalled again FS9 without this last addon and for that point never had that problem. I reinstall almost every addons than before. So, hope to continue on this way.Third, if you can, buy a 64bit OS and upgrade your RAM memory to 6 o more GB.Bye.RR
Agreed with you right up until that last recommendation unless you go Win7 64 or with a new Mobo requiring tri-channel. XP 64 w/ FS9 will not touch 6gigs of memory consumption and your current setup doesn't require 6gigs or anything but dual channel memory.-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Hey guys,I've read through this thread a number of times but just to be sure: Can this 4Gb patch utility be effective in any way for FS9 running on a WindowsXP 32 bit OS with 2 Gb of RAM memory .... or not ?I've got the utility itself but am afraid of running it for fear of messing things up.Thanks in advance for any clear answers.Hans

32bit os systems limit the ram use of FS to 2GB only, however there is a way of upping it to 3gb, but its a long way around it.just google Flight sim 3gig swapif you are going to do the gig swap, make sure you back up everything your told to back up, i had a link to a really usefull set of instructions for doing the swap, but unfortunately, ive cleaned out my cookies/temp net files. Also, try updating your paging file size and virtual memory by 5-10mb at a time.Another solution is some addon companies do acknowledge that their addons do cause OOM due to the complexity of some textures, if this is the case, check around for a release of a memory leak fix by them, usually they are a new set of textures reduced in size to reduce the load on your sim.If your scenery is the cause of the OOM, uninstall it, and when re-installing, do not include any animations which it gives you the option to install with it, these animations do put a load onto FS on 32bit OS's in some case's it wont be the animations, but they can be a culprit in some scenarios sorry if anything repeated, didnt read the other posts :) Liam

OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit CPU: Intel i7 4790K Quad @ 4.4GHz MoBo: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer GPU: nVidea/Gigabyte GTX980 RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair 1600C9 Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz PSU: Seasonic X-650 80+ Gold Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 1920x1080, 144Hz, 1ms

32bit os systems limit the ram use of FS to 2GB only, however there is a way of upping it to 3gb, but its a long way around it.just google Flight sim 3gig swapif you are going to do the gig swap, make sure you back up everything your told to back up, i had a link to a really usefull set of instructions for doing the swap, but unfortunately, ive cleaned out my cookies/temp net files. Also, try updating your paging file size and virtual memory by 5-10mb at a time.Another solution is some addon companies do acknowledge that their addons do cause OOM due to the complexity of some textures, if this is the case, check around for a release of a memory leak fix by them, usually they are a new set of textures reduced in size to reduce the load on your sim.If your scenery is the cause of the OOM, uninstall it, and when re-installing, do not include any animations which it gives you the option to install with it, these animations do put a load onto FS on 32bit OS's in some case's it wont be the animations, but they can be a culprit in some scenarios sorry if anything repeated, didnt read the other posts :) Liam
Liam,Unfortunately I know you were trying to help but most of your information is being worded completely incorrectly...1. There is no such thing as a "gig swap" 2. You are also not adjusting the OS to use 3 gigs of Ram you are adjusting the user mode virtual address space... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx3. It is also not a long process; change the .exe to LargeAddressAware and edit a boot.ini setting.4. Updating you PF by 5-10 meg at a time is not going to do anything, just bogus advice I am afraid5. Your line about Add-ons causing OOM's by there textures due to a MEMORY LEAK is just so incorrect I can spend an entire post talking about what a memory leak is but suffice to say it is not caused by larger textures!!! Come on now, don't you realize as you are typing this you are not really sure what you are typing? I appreciate people trying to help but the spread of misinformation is really one of my pet peeves. 6. Uninstall and re-install the scenery without animations? Again, just grabbing at straws with no real idea of what an OOM error is, what the variables associated with it are or how to address it...Again Liam, I know you were trying to help and I appreciate it but here is a post I posted with Michael S's info in the UK200 forum.THIS is how you help people!Hey Gary,This actually has nothing to do with the Pagefile or Swapping or Physical Memory, it is a 32 bit OS issue. In fact the best thing you can do is to leave Virtual memory as System Managed. Ideally, you should not have the Pagefile and your OS on the some HDD as it could cause excessive paging. The best thing you can do is to use a separate HDD on a separate controller to your Pagefile altogether to really optimize your system if you are an ubergeek like myself... With that being said this issue has nothing to do with any of that. I am willing to bet a lot of money that all of the users who are reporting OOM errors with FS9 or FSX or either: A. Running a 32 Bit OSB. Running a 64 Bit OS with FS9 without modifying the .exe to be largeaddressaware.So you have 3 possible steps to fix the OOM error once and for all.1. Modify your FS9.exe to be largeaddressaware (FSX did this automatically after SP1)2. Modify your 32 Bit OS's Boot.INI file to set the /3gb aware flag3. Install a 64 Bit OS (The best move you will ever make as a simmer)Regardless of going with 2 or 3 you will need to do number one...For more information:http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=OOM_ErrorFor detailed instructions:The instructions below reference WinXP, Vista is differentThe two steps are below.Remember, you do this at your own risk. Also do searches on the Avsim forum for "/3GB switch", "OOM", and "Memory" to learn more. And search google for "/3GB switch" and "/userva" and you'll find the Microsoft technet pages all of this in nauseating detail.________________________________________________________________STEP 1 -Here's how to enable the 3GB switch (Copied from Michael Swannick):Adding the 3GB switch is very simple. You first need to locate your machines Boot.ini file which should be located in the root of your main system drive. (Be aware that this file may be hidden and marked as read-only initially.) You will want to open this file in a program such as Notepad to edit it properly.To safely add the 3GB switch we recommend adding a second instance of the OS in the boot.ini, and add the /3GB switch to that second version.----- default boot.ini without 3GB Switch -----This is what a default boot.ini file will look like. (This may differ from system to system.)timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWSmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro"----- updated boot.ini with 3GB Switch -----This is what the updated version should look like. Notice the /3GB that has been added to the second instance of the OS line.timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWSmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro with /3GB" /3GBAnd if you have a 512MB or greater video card, you'll need to add the /Userva=? also. I have a 512MB card, and 2900 works for me so:multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro with /3GB" /3GB /Userva=2900256MB /userva=3072 (ie, 3GB)512MB /userva=2816768MB /userva=25601024MB /userva=2304 Once you have updated your boot.ini file accordingly and have saved the changes, simply restart your system for the changes to take affect. When your system reboots you will be given the option to choose either the standard Windows XP version or the 3GB switch enabled Windows XP version. If you choose the 3GB version and it fails to allow Windows to properly load, just restart your system and you will be given the two options once again, where you can then choose the standard Windows XP version to load. Either way, if it works or doesn't, you can then remove whatever line you don't need in the boot.ini file. Alternately, you may wish to leave both settings so that you can choose to boot without the 3GB switch should you ever have problems with drivers installed in the future. The boot loader will default to the first option listed in the file. So you may want to put the /3GB option first. You may also wish to lower the timeout value to something quicker so that you don't have to wait for 30 seconds or press enter with each boot.__________________________________________________________________STEP 2 -Now to modify to the fs9.exe (thanks to Markus and Stu):Try this only if you have at least 2 GByte of RAM and at your own risk.First download the explorer from http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.phpNext make a copy from fs9.exe. Than start "CFF Explorer" and open the orginal fsx.exe file.Now go to NT Header/File Header and click File Header. Ther you find a button labeld "click here". Click it. And select the mark at "App can handle> 2gb adressest "Save the modified EXE, overwrite the orginal one (You have youre copy saved?). Following the above procedures will fix the OOM error on 32 bit OS's as a band aid as I stated above but to REALLY REALLY CURE the ROOT CAUSE You Must Move to a 64 bit OS Once and For All You still still need to do step number 2, but you don't have to worry about ANY of the Boot.ini garbage and your machine can now see and use more memory more efficiently...32 bit OS's are dead... Tada Paul Solk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

hmm, well texture swapping fixed 3 OOM issues with me, and alot of other users using a few particular addons....reducing some VC textures from DXT3 to DXT1, and an other addons, having a cropped set of textures which were reduced by 60%, reducing a 60% load on the sim...also changing animations on some scenery helped, it was a problem with the UK2000 EGCC Xtreme scenery, only isolated to a few users, the only two who posted about it on their forums were me and my friend matt, advice given was to re install the scenery without the animations...and what do you know the oom message no longer cropped up approaching manchester... - which i think might be a culprit here, not the Manchester scenery, but the scenery raised in the 1st post, if it has any animations that is... personally ive only read up on the 3gb thing, my system is fine, i have no issues with fs9 regarding oom anymore, due to having a few texture swaps...for FSX on the other hand lol...i only use that for advertisement shots...untill i can afford a NASA grade system Liam

OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit CPU: Intel i7 4790K Quad @ 4.4GHz MoBo: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer GPU: nVidea/Gigabyte GTX980 RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair 1600C9 Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz PSU: Seasonic X-650 80+ Gold Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 1920x1080, 144Hz, 1ms

FS9.1 XP 32bit SP3 with 2.66 GHz dual core CPU:I have suffered from that issue randomly until I upgraded my graphic card from a 320Mb RAM to a 1Gb.In both cases, with the /3Gb patch enabled.Cannot guarantee it is universal.Ghiom