Sign in to follow this  
MrGreen

GTX 460 SLI

Hi, i am in the process of upgrading my computer and with the great advice from some of the people in Avsims hardware section i have chosen an i7 950 CPU, P6X58D Premium motherboard, 3x 2gb DDR3 ram, the Cooler Master HAF 922 case and a corsair 1000W PSU (for future proofing etc). As FSX isn't the only game i play i wanted a SLI setup and reading a lot of reviews the GF104 GTX 460 1G in SLI seems to be about 30% better than a single GTX 480. I have heard that FSX doesn't get much advantage from SLI and im okay with that as i will use the computer for other things than FSX. But i have also read that FSX might take a performance hit from SLI, is this true? To give a little extra information i am currently using a single 22 inch screen (1680 x 1050) but might get another one or upgrade to a higher resolution. With the current screen and setup though, will the SLI adversely affect my FSX performance? And if so is it possible to somehow (through software) disable the SLI when using FSX?I'd love to hear advice from people with experience of SLI in general and the GTX 460 in particular.Thanks in advance

I think you'll be fine - you're not going to see a hit compared to running it on a single 460. In fact if you implement ******* Altuve's UsePools=0 tweak with the SLI cards, you effectively push the sim a little further in utilizing the GPU. He has twin 480s himself and says there's definitely a difference vs. using a single card. I'm nearly positive it is possible to turn off SLI and run single card btw too.Honestly though, at 1680X1050 there isn't much out there that even a single 460 can't handle though. Maybe a few very new and modern games like Metro 2033, but that's about it. Anything else should fly totally cranked up at that resolution.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

On a previous setup I was running SLI and there was indeed a selection in the Nvidia control panel that allowed me to select either single or SLI mode.Looks like you will have quite the machine William!

Thanks guys, i was afraid there for a moment that i'd spent 200 euros on something that would do harm instead of good.Harvester, yeah i think i saw that in a review/thread somewhere, thanks for confirming!