Sign in to follow this  
windycloud

Best water textures for FS9?

Before you say it, I know it's REX. But I'm very happy with my cloud, sky and runway textures. So I'm reluctant to invest in REX for mainly just the water textures. If you use something else and you love it, please share. I used to use flight environment but it gave me bad "blocky water" problem. My current water textures are pretty good in terms of colors and reflections. But even these are not free of the "blocky" problem (see screenshot). Is this purely a texture issue? If you don't suffer this, what water textures do you use? Thanks!blockywater.jpg

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

There's a file here in the library called Perfect Water 1.0 by Davide Scotti that is absolutely incredible. Give that a try and let us know how you make out.

I've tried all of the "waters" add-ons and I know that everyone is differant, BUT, my favorite of all of them is made by Zinertek. Check it out at: http://www.zinertek.com/flightsimulator/ultimatewateradvanced.html jerrycwo4PS I also use their Airport textures.
I would have to agree, I have tried all water textures available, and Zinertek is by far the most real looking water for FS9 in my opinion.

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

I've been looking at it. Now I'm more attempted to get it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jason

Another vote here for Zinertek. It's possible to mix and match inland textures from REX with the Zinertek ocean textures and reflection, which is the best of all possible scenarios IMHO. Best $15 I've ever spent in FS!

John G.

After reading some reviews I actually have decided to get it today. $15 is a bargain if it can transform 70% of my FS9 surface for the better.

Jason

Guest FlugSimulatorXfan

I´d like to say, that the Water Textures including the freeware "Real Enviroment Pro" are just awesome!They look very real too!Go to check out this picture:fs9_2018.jpgIn my opinion this is the most realitic water effect for FS9 rolleyes.gif

It takes a little effort to put together, however I have always been happy with "Holger's Water", by Holger Sandmann.Here's the recipe-

WATER TEXTURES and ENVIRONMENT BITMAPS-------------from Pete Drazzof (compiler) - waterzone.zip (Avsim):*b2wa*.bmp textureswater_detail01 - water_detail16water_detailR01 - water_detailR16env_dawn.bmp (same as Daniel Buechter, see below)env_dusk.bmp (same as Daniel Buechter, see below)-------------from Lynn and Bill Lyons - fs9watga3.zip (Avsim):env_overcast.bmp (windy)-------------from Vilk - vater.zip - http://portal.fsgenesis.net/modules.php ... ostPopular :env_highnoon.bmpenv_lowmoon.bmpenv_lowsun.bmpenv_midsun.bmpenv_postdusk.bmpenv_predawn.bmp-------------from Daniel Buechter - new_waves3.zip (Avsim)env_dawn.bmpenv_dusk.bmpOceanHeightField.bmp-------------from Peter Wilding - pwover16.zip (FlightSim):env_highmoon.bmpenv_newmoon.bmp-------------RAILROAD TEXTURESVance Roberts (Wizardd) has published an excellent replacement texture for railroads: roadpac1.zip (Avsim)-------------ROAD TEXTURESPersonally, I use the FS default road day textures and the wonderful night textures by Lynn and Bill Lyons, contained in their "GA Water, Roads and Airport Textures" package: fs9watga3.zip (Avsim)
regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Zinertek's water is the best you can get for FS9 hands down.I keep posting this picture because it's my favorite and really shows what Zinertek's water looks like in FS9

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

To me, all those glossy-looking water textures are a complete turnoff. It simply does NOT look real in my book. (Water only looks glossy when it´s dead calm, and we all know how often that happens.)The best textures I´ve found is presented as a bonus feature in a small indie addon pack called Real Sky PRO edition (FS9 version) by Sandon Lyon.You can see the textures in this clip I made:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOkR0WNygRkThis is getting close as to what water should look like if you ask me. But it will never be perfect within FS9. X-Plane 9 water, for example, is spectacular in comparison!/Johan

• Upvote 1

I have real sky pro and it is the best sky texture solution I've ever had. I remember trying out its water texture and liked it until I saw (if my memory serves me right) that the water turnde VERY purple under certain weather or in certain time of a day.

Jason

To me, all those glossy-looking water textures are a complete turnoff. It simply does NOT look real in my book. (Water only looks glossy when it´s dead calm, and we all know how often that happens.)The best textures I´ve found is presented as a bonus feature in a small indie addon pack called Real Sky PRO edition (FS9 version) by Sandon Lyon.You can see the textures in this clip I made:

This is getting close as to what water should look like if you ask me. But it will never be perfect within FS9. X-Plane 9 water, for example, is spectacular in comparison!/Johan
Can you tell me which addons you have installed! That clip looks magnificant, so real! I wanna get my FS like that too. List em. Cheers

Can you tell me which addons you have installed! That clip looks magnificant, so real! I wanna get my FS like that too. List em. Cheers
I can take a stab a his addons...FZ02 Portland, POSKY 738, REX, and Zinertek water. The sound is a dub-over from a real 737...although it would be completely awesome if somebody would make a 737 soundset that sounded like that.