Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

iFLY vs. PMDG?

I can't help but wonder why on earth the iFly folks would want to release another 737NG title for FS2004. Why should anyone get it, particularly if they already have PMDG's 737NG and 737-800/900? I've seen the screen shots of the iFly 737NG and while they look very good indeed they don't look to me to be any improvement over PMDG's 737NG titles. Not superior enough for me to what to throw away my investment in my PMDG titles and repaints in favor of iFly's 737NG.It seems to me that iFly should have developed its version for FSX where it wouldn't face any competition with PMDG (since it is beginning to look increasingly unlikely that PMDG will be releasing a FSX version of it's 737NG titles)...

Now that is funny post... Big%20Grin.gif... Basing iFly's quality on screenshots...... Assuming that PMDG's NGX look increasingly unlikely to be released... That's REALLY funny. :(

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Guess I'll post this again as to what one get's with iFly not found in the PMDG bird:1. Very accurate VC dimensions as to what you'd find sitting in the real bird.2. Optional Eyebrows 3. Configurable engines for each model via the configuration utility4. All 737NG models from the 600 to the BBJ3 included for $54.95 versus $79.90 for just the 600/700/800/900 (900 without winglets)5. BBJ model has a different VC with a working HUD included in the VC (it raises and lowers)6. All 737 avionic systems modeled including the IRS (PMDG model doesn't model this)7. External model has flexing wings8. Wipers actually clean rain off the VC windows9. Pushback feature10. Customizable Winglets for all models11. Autopilot disconnect from the yoke button in the VC12. Auto go around activated from the throttle in the VC13. The best Flight Dynamics I've ever seen for an FS airliner (We have real Level-D simulators here in Minnesota thanks to Northwest. This addon feels like what I experiance in the real sim for the 737NG)14. FMC systems check that sends all systems through a check of sorts like the real bird (it's pretty cool to see all the LCD screens go into this mode)15. Proper PAK startup meaning you can't start this bird like the default airplanes, APU air has to push to the right systems to get the engines going16. Proper engine thrust for the various models, the older PMDG version was underpowered. Taking off from KMDW was almost impossible yet real world Southwest 737NG's have no issue.17. PFD/ND displays can be toggled and switched around as needed18. Both FMC's in the VC are independent of each other19. PFD's and ND's for the copilot and pilot are independent of each other20. The autopilot can be switched to take command from either the pilot's side or the co-pilot's side21. You can run the plane at 16x acceleration for those with limited time. It may drift (only in turns) a bit but the plane won't roll over and fall out the sky. 22. Choosing the runway via the FMC automatically turns the frequency and runway heading leaving nothing more for you to do than intercept the approach beams.23. The only true NG offered for FS9 as the new NGX will be FSX only.The simple answer if non of this registers, PMDG 'TODAY' still charges $44.95 without tax for only the -600/700 where as iFly charges $54.95 for every bird in the 737NG line. The 9 other features I listed above are just bonus items. If you already own the PMDG model and are an FS9 user why stick with old technology when you have a better choice. This is not FSX the iFly model actually runs at the level or better than the older PMDG offering in FS9 furthermore PMDG snubbed the FS9 user base by going FSX only for their new 737NG. Why stick with them on anything as they've dropped us from consideration for all their future products? If all this doesn't convince you to drop the PMDG bird I'm at a lose as to what your expecting, why your asking, or what your looking for...The's a few more and much more to be added when the SP comes out. The whole night lighting and Sound package is to be updated. Even with the current sounds they do a much better job than the sounds included with PMDG's package. I had to change that sound set out along time ago. Importing a default flight plan into the FMC is slated to be an option as well which the PMDG bird doesn't offer.I almost forgot, the PMDG model does have a better 2D panel so the 2D crowd would be better served staying with PMDG's older model in conjunction with Posky. For me I've left the 2D scene years ago when FS9 was released.I'm starting to think people like to see us repeat all this over and over again to keep the buzz going. :wink:Note: My comments in no way reflects iFly's position on this subject. I'm writing purely from my observations and experience with the two products.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Dillon, I actually prefer the 2D on the iFly myself. Different strokes for different folks? :(

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Just for the record. I have no issues at all taking off with the PMDG from KMDW.

Just for the record. I have no issues at all taking off with the PMDG from KMDW.
I always did...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I can't help but wonder why on earth the iFly folks would want to release another 737NG title for FS2004. Why should anyone get it, particularly if they already have PMDG's 737NG and 737-800/900? I've seen the screen shots of the iFly 737NG and while they look very good indeed they don't look to me to be any improvement over PMDG's 737NG titles. Not superior enough for me to what to throw away my investment in my PMDG titles and repaints in favor of iFly's 737NG.It seems to me that iFly should have developed its version for FSX where it wouldn't face any competition with PMDG (since it is beginning to look increasingly unlikely that PMDG will be releasing a FSX version of it's 737NG titles)...
There's plenty of repaints available for the iFly, with more being completed everyday. Also, iFly is going to release a FSX version, they just decided to release the fs9 version First...BTW, if you buy the FS9 version, you will get the FSX version for $14.95. I too am intrigued as to where you are getting your info about the NGX...

I can't understand some of the idiotic responses this question seems to get. Anyway, I have tried both and prefer the PMDG. I can see that those who own neither might have something to think about but if you have the PMDG already, as many do, the ifly is a waste of time imo.How this riles so many people, i'll never know. FS9 add ons seem to attract their own mafia these days. For a while you couldn't say anything bad about the Airscammer bus :( I said when I first heard about this project that it was a very strange choice of aircraft. A 777 for example has not been modelled to this standard and would have made a killing.Dave

Dave,I think the rest of us just can't quite understand why you prefer the PMDG. To me the iFly offers more, is actively supported (already had one patch, with a major service pack in the works, and possibly new configurations like ER's to come), is better value, and has much more functionality. I don't get why anyone would choose the ancient and expensive PMDG offering at this point.Cheers,Mark

I actually prefer the 2D on the iFly myself
Same for me! I am a 2D guy and I have never liked PMDG panel bitmaps.iFly 2D has charmed me as soon as I saw it in the first screenshots. I am not disappoionted in any way.What is more, so many people around have widescreen (16:9 or 16:10) mnitors and still more will have.The iFly bird comes with a choice of the standard and the widescreen panel, which is very important to me.I prefer iFly over PDMG in all aspects. But why should I be surprised or irritated if someone else thinks the other way?I don't care, it's a free world. I am happy with my preferences and I'm happy that others have their own.But comments like this:
I can't understand some of the idiotic responses this question seems to get.
Just guess whose responses some people may consider idiotic...

The PMDG 737 is ANCIENT and the iFly version looks 1000x better in the VC. The iFly also offers much much more functionality than the PMDG version. IMO they do not even compare. The NGX from PMDG will never see an fs9 version so I think iFly made a brilliant move here commercially.

Dave, the only idiotic responses I tend to see around here are yours....

Rob Prest

I agree with Rafal. it's not what you say, but how you say it. When people say things like "iFly is a waste of time," they aren't going to get a bouquet of roses as a response. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but sometimes people should keep their opinions to themselves. I still can't get over the fact that people are trying to compare a brand new addon to a 7 year old addon that was originally designed for FS2002. The PMDG is a tried and true addon (after 3 sp's...mind you)...I get that. iFly is the new kid on the payware block, but give them a chance. They haven't even released a service pack yet. Heck, even PMDG's beloved MD-11 needed 2 service packs to get to where it's at. And you all wonder why developers are running from FS9 like it was the plague.

Same for me! I am a 2D guy and I have never liked PMDG panel bitmaps.iFly 2D has charmed me as soon as I saw it in the first screenshots. I am not disappoionted in any way.What is more, so many people around have widescreen (16:9 or 16:10) mnitors and still more will have.The iFly bird comes with a choice of the standard and the widescreen panel, which is very important to me.
Yep, that is the MAIN reason I also bought iFly's NG. PMDG 737 was a GREAT companion for all these "years", but, like all good things, it's time to move on. And, we are expressing personal opinions, there's actually nothing wrong with somebody thinking differently. :)

Count me in on that too. I never had any short field take-off issues.