Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

RC has not been working out for me

I bought RC two months ago and haven't really been able to do all that many flights, but out of the 15 or so that I have done, RC has been a miss 80% of the time when it comes to intercepting the ILS.I just flew a flight from Cairo Intl (HECA) to Antalya (LTAI) and the flight plan is as follows:"LECA to LTAI@28000 (Alt1 - Al2-) / CVO.BLT17.BLT.MILAD.RASDA.EVORA.KOSEG.MAROS.DASNI.TOMBI. *RVSM"RC had me intercept the localizer at FL140 (which seemed pretty high.) I did intercept the localizer, but when I did, I was almost right above the runway at FL140! What happened here? I am using Antalya X scenery add-on and I've done everything to update MakeRunway, etc. as per sticky.Can RC support run this flight and let me know if they get the same results?Is there any way I can see the flight path that RC is setting me, all the way from take off to landing prior to starting my flight?

I bought RC two months ago and haven't really been able to do all that many flights, but out of the 15 or so that I have done, RC has been a miss 80% of the time when it comes to intercepting the ILS.I just flew a flight from Cairo Intl (HECA) to Antalya (LTAI) and the flight plan is as follows:"LECA to LTAI@28000 (Alt1 - Al2-) / CVO.BLT17.BLT.MILAD.RASDA.EVORA.KOSEG.MAROS.DASNI.TOMBI. *RVSM"RC had me intercept the localizer at FL140 (which seemed pretty high.) I did intercept the localizer, but when I did, I was almost right above the runway at FL140! What happened here? I am using Antalya X scenery add-on and I've done everything to update MakeRunway, etc. as per sticky.Can RC support run this flight and let me know if they get the same results?Is there any way I can see the flight path that RC is setting me, all the way from take off to landing prior to starting my flight?
Hi,have you flown any of the tutorial flights? Those have been specially designed to help you get the best out of RC4. To not have completed 80% of flights suggests you're doing something wrong or have misunderstood something.I suggest if you continue to have problems with the descent phase you make a log (see pinned topic) and send it to JD. He can tell almost immediately what went wrong. My own guess is that you've missed a descent call to FL120. You should have heard "I need you down in 30 miles or less" following the instruction to descend to FL120. If you didn't then it's possible you haven't ack'd a call and RC is waiting for you to do so.RC shows the active waypoint on the second line. Make sure it's the one programmed into your CDU. There's no way for it to display your route - only the active waypoint.Save the flight when you're descending through FL190. That way you can refly that aspect of the flight time and time again but my guess is that you've missed an instruction. You could try handing over comms to the co-pilot guaranteeing no acks will be missed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have been on that airport as well - about 3 months ago. Also had alt to intercept at 14,000... Of course, I had ignored it, asked for fill ILS and did it "my way".

Tom Link

I have been on that airport as well - about 3 months ago. Also had alt to intercept at 14,000... Of course, I had ignored it, asked for fill ILS and did it "my way".
Odd. The TA for Antalya Airport is 3000ft so there are no mountains close by to mess things up.Can one of you locate m5.csv (or m4.csv) in the data folder and search for LTAI? Make sure you open it with Notepad and not Excel. See what your entry reads. This is from the v5 one...LTAI,12000,3000,BYou should have something very similar.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Further to my earlier reply this airport has high ground on 3 sides. See Page 2 on this link.I suspect that unless you have NOTAMS checked RC will not clear you down to an altitude below the MSA which, for this airport, is 12000ft.Try the flight again but this time check NOTAMS and you will be given descents preceeded with "If able". In mountainous areas such as this it's recommended you fly the official STAR and approach as it will be more realistic than RC4's.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

LTAI has high terrain elevations in three quadrants. Since RC4 uses an average terrain MSA, it is likely very high as noted on the RC controller page and that is the reason for the high ILS intercept.I've attached a STAR extract (not for real navigation) to illustrate this. The ILS approaches if you are coming anywhere but from the south, as an example, require you to perform a descending race-track pattern at the VOR on the field. If you are coming in from the south or southeast over water or moderate elevations you can do a straight in or standard pattern approach with out descending racetrack.This airport is a case where an IAP might be best that let's you do your own navigation once you acknowledge your runway and first vector from approach. If your aircraft has a terminal database in its navigation equipment you can do that there otherwise get the charts and plot the route through the STAR common points making sure they are in the RC plan. Arriving from the south it would help to add DERYA after TOMBI, part of the DERYA STAR the rest depending on the runway.I am attaching the two STAR route plan images from FSBuild, one for rwy 18 and another for 36. As you can see these are very similar.I suggest you set up a free account here to get EU charts:http://ead-website.ead-it.com/publicuser/public/pu/login.jspOnce it is active you can do Enter Applications on logging in, then AIP, then for query in this case the authority is LT (Turkey), Civil, Charts, and AD as on the attached screen shot. Page to the list with the airport chart you want and select the .pdf.

Useful site, thanks Ron. I followed your instructions to find the charts for a selected country. Those who use it might find it useful to check the Advanced box and enter *ICAO* where ICAO=airport you want data for. That way you don't have to scroll through lots of pages. :(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've been flying to LTAI quite often lately and the only way to fly to it is using a star and the relevant ils plate. It's great fun to bring the 767 in using the bronze star over the mountains and then a rapid decent down to 3K to follow the 18C ils plate.RC never seems to handle high MSA very well for a vectored approach.

Stephen Munn

RC never seems to handle high MSA very well for a vectored approach.
IAP or visual. I fly into KPSP quite often which sits in the middle of a valley with very high mountains, and when I first got RC and went with their vectors for visual, I am always getting told to fly for miles and miles around that get me to a point where I have no hope of seeing the field. I now have learned that if you are going to check the "NOTAMS" box, be prepared to fly the RNAV approach. Which I find more fun anyway, and is probably the more realistic thing to do.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

IAP or visual. I fly into KPSP quite often which sits in the middle of a valley with very high mountains, and when I first got RC and went with their vectors for visual, I am always getting told to fly for miles and miles around that get me to a point where I have no hope of seeing the field. I now have learned that if you are going to check the "NOTAMS" box, be prepared to fly the RNAV approach. Which I find more fun anyway, and is probably the more realistic thing to do.
i'd have to see a log, to see what is going on. are you sure the altimeter is set to the local pressure?have you missed any handoffs from approach to approach?instructions on how to make a log are pinned to the top of the forumjd

I suggest you set up a free account here to get EU charts:http://ead-website.e...ic/pu/login.jspOnce it is active you can do Enter Applications on logging in, then AIP, then for query in this case the authority is LT (Turkey), Civil, Charts, and AD as on the attached screen shot. Page to the list with the airport chart you want and select the .pdf.
That's a great source of information. Do you know if there's a similar source for US-airports.Did my first RC flight last night, and found it very hard to locate my gate once I arrived at KORD in the first tutorial flight. I think I made it to the correct terminal, but not so sure about the gate....

For FAA terminal charts (airport diagram, DP, STAR, IAP) I use flightaware.com. In the lower right enter the full ICAO code and click INFO. Click the IFR tab and you can download individual or bundled charts in .pdf form. These are current cycle charts.I prefer the choices here compared to the FAA site which does not offer bundled charts the last time I was there.Another advantage of flightaware.com is on an airport activity page you can get the current METAR and then look (zooming in if you wish) at the take-off and approach patterns. By default the aircraft information rotates among those displayed showing flight number, speed, altitude (last two digits trucated), departure, and destination. Placing your mouse over that aircraft lock that aircraft for displaying information. If you use http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php?type=all with this keep in mind the aircraft data on flightaware airport activity is delayed by FAA processing for supposedly security reasons by about ten minutes I think.On that same page you'll find lists of enroute-to, enroute-from, departures, arrivals, etc., by flight number and aircraft type. I right click flight numbers of interest opening another tab or page and get the filed flight plan including route, requested altitude, estimated cruise speed, and current altitude and speed. I use the route in FSBuild (occasionally only needing to change a DP or STAR version number although frequent AIRAC updates are available for FSBuild) to create an FMC and FS flightplan used for RC and Active Sky route weather printouts.For the UK http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php.html does not require registration. Click on * UK Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP) then Aerodrome Index - Specific on the left. You might also want to check enroute information to see what's available.