Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

So how does the PMDG 737NGX compare to...

Captains-A few weeks ago, some of us participating in a thread were reminiscing back about eight years ago when a little barely-known organization of developers announced the PMDG 737 NG for FS2002. We were nearly laughed off the block.Fast forward a few years and we are proud of the fact that we have managed to improve upon our product quality with each successive release.With the PMDG 737 NGX we are pushing this to a much higher level- and nowhere is it more evident than when you compare the two products side-by-side.Ryan and Vin helped to put this little spread together- (thank you, guys!) and we thought you might enjoy a little look back- and a look ahead!As we have with the last few previews, we are continuing our focus on the Virtual Cockpit, since this is the centerpiece of the airplane. (Yes it has 2D panels, yes it has an external model... those will each have their day... but it isn't TODAY...)NOTE ONE: before you scroll down: These images are quite large- and since we are trying to show you a MACRO view, they are taken from a very wide angle zoom. This makes some of the finer text look fuzzy- but in sim they are as crisp as new snow... Just thought I'd mention that.NOTE TWO: The images here were taken in the sim about five weeks ago. This is an in-progress display, and there are details that are incorrect, (some intentional for testing purposes) and others that have long since been changed. No need to get excited if you can find something out of place... All of this is in progress...WALKING THROUGH THE DOOR:=========================pmdg_737ngx_cockpit_overview_then_and_now.jpgAs you enter the NGX cockpit, notice the incredible attention to detail. All the textures you see are 4096 resolution and do not pixelate or blur under even the most extreme zoom settings. Oh and about that distinctive NG panel color... I think we have it right now. :( But there are other details to observe here: This cockpit looks LIVED IN. You can see on the caution annunciator "six packs" where the crew is constantly tapping them with a finger, because the oils change the surface of the lens slightly. You can see the scuff marks from feet and chips and dings from the bags being dragged in and out.This flight deck looks like a living, working airplane... THE VIEW FROM THE LEFT SEAT:============================pmdg_737ngx_left_seat_then_and_now.jpgAgain, notice the details, right down to the actual glass company certification stickers on the windscreen and the speed card on the center post. Everything you see here is fully modeled in 3D - the standby gauges, every last knob and screw even. We've come a long way from the flat texture gauges that were used back then.Head placement is important when flying an airliner, and we'll ship this bird with the correct location for your viewpoint when you strap in to fly. This will give you the same view you'd have from the flight deck if you were flying the airplane for real- which improves your situational awareness, and the sense of depth when flying the NGX!Oh- and wait until you see the HUGS... (future update...)THE VIEW TO THE RIGHT:======================pmdg_737ngx_right_side_then_and_now.jpgThis 3D model is exceptionally accurate in terms of measurements, dimensions and depth. You can see from the circuit breaker panels, to the eyebrow windows (yes, this will be an option for those who want them or not) to the scale and size of switches and knobs all throughout the flight deck. The design and size of the yokes, the seats, and the general flying environment are identical in size to the airplane, with all of the depth and character you'd expect to find if you were sitting on the flight deck.You will have to get used to looking around a bit... The 737 cockpit is a cramped workspace. Once you see how realistic it feels to sit in this Virtual Cockpit- you will have trouble going back to your old habits.LOOKING BACK:=============pmdg_737ngx_cockpit_rear_then_and_now.jpgGenerally speaking, I don't recommend looking backward... You'll only be viewing your own mistakes and errors... but in the case of the NGX- it is hard NOT to look back. :( Once again, we are providing you with an accurate, dimensionally correct airplane that is textured to incredible detail. The detail level is high enough that we elected to remove the emergency opening instructions from the ballistic door- as it would make us and our airline partners uncomfortable to have this information freely available in the simulator.The circuit breakers, some with collars, the detail on the PBE... the general wear and tear... This is what a working flight deck looks like.(I showed this image to a few friends who fly NGs, and they all commented that the cockpit wasn't beat up enough... Go figure...)THIS IS NOT OVER YOUR HEAD:===========================pmdg_737ngx_overhead_then_and_now.jpgIt all looks very complicated- but in reality the NGX is a great airplane for those who are just starting to learn the joy of in depth simulation.There really isn't a valid comparison to be made between the quality of systems simulation in the NGX vs. its elder cousin. I'll have more information for you on the depth of simulation- but I think it will probably surprise you to hear about the depth to which we are taking the simulation this time around! (If you had a copy- you could use Boeing's own post-production validation checks to verify the behavior of every system on the airplane...)Visually, this overhead is quite an improvement here we think you'll agree. What you can't see (yet!) are the full range of motion animations on all of these switches - they move realistically in exactly the way a pilot has to move them on the real aircraft. For example, the fuel pump switches must be pulled out toward you in space as they move between positions- we have modeled that here just as it happens on the real aircraft.CONTROL STAND:==============pmdg_737ngx_throttles_then_and_now.jpgThis particular view is one of my favorites for showing the significant advance in realism. The mechanical complexities of the reverser levers, the fuel cutoff switches, the spoiler and flap handles... Even the shape of the mechanical arm for the parking brake lever. Down to every last detail, the NGX is going to put you in the 737 cockpit like never before.The shape, size and texture of the fire control handles is spot on- and gives you a real "I'm sitting here" feeling.FMC/CDU: NOT JUST ANOTHER PRETTY FACE:======================================pmdg_737ngx_fmc_route_then_and_now.jpgOne of the things that we set out to accomplish with the PMDG 737 NGX was to "clean sheet" the design so that we could eliminate a bunch of garbage that we were carrying over from project to project. Inefficiencies, design processes that had outlived their usefulness, or aspects of our processes that we simply felt needed to be improved.One area where this will be very noticeable is the FMC. The FMC has been rewritten from scratch and everything about it oozes realism. It's modeled on the latest U10.8 OP program with full RNP specs and capabilities. No effort has been spared in making it look exactly like the the real CDU, the fonts, colors, even the lag time when you EXEC changes are all exactly like the real aircraft.I was recently asked by a visitor "how realistic will it be?" Well... The length of time it takes the FMS to complete self testing will change depending on the temperature on the flight deck. Is that realistic enough for you?The magenta line drawing algorithms on the ND correspond exactly with how the real aircraft displays your route. Our industry leading VNAV implementation is now even better as well. We support RNP derived procedures such as RNAV, GLS, and IAN with full computer-generated glidepath annunciations. The FMC and AP just WORK, exactly as you'd expect them to as the pilot- no excuses for "oh we didn't model that" when it comes to the autoflight capabilities of this airplane. If you tried something in the airplane, and you try it in this simulator- you will get the same results. That is just how things should be simulated.I hope you've enjoyed this simultaneous look back to the past and forward to the future! Stay tuned for more including the first videos of the NGX in motion! (Thanks again to Ryan for this idea...)Okay- enough for now... I'm looking forward to giving you a few in depth system tours. :(

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

The length of time it takes the FMS to complete self testing will change depending on the temperature on the flight deck.
:Shocked:Looks great Robert.

Boy am I the lucky one! Just woke up and bang here we go!..... Thank you Robert for the update! Now I have something to think about in the next few days.And by the way I can believe I'm nuber two here Just%20Kidding.gif

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Bloody Incredible! :Big Grin:One thing I must ask is are you guys going to allow us Southwest Airlines flyers to have the 737 Classic style PFD and MFD?89328214.jpg

*Jaw dropped* Wow, I amazed on the improvements. This is why I like PMDG. All their planes are not the same quality; each new plane they make is 2x better. When the 747 came out I was amazed then the MD11 came out and I was even more amazed and then the J41 came out and I was freakin' amazed and it seems to never end.

This is exactly what we (at least I) have been waiting for, for a very long time, and I thank you folks at PMDG for sharing.I'm just glad its finally time that you guys can start giving us information regarding the 737-NGXOh yea I almost forgot, the images that I have just been viewing..........speak for them selves, AMAZING job so far.....

My God! When oh when can I buy!!!!?!?! And I thought the JS41 flight deck couldn't get any more realistic... Now the world's most popular jetliner and coincidentally one of funnest and easiest? to fly will be at our fingertips for about 50$ million less than the retailer. Thank you PMDG.Now, if you don't mind, I'll be lurking on this thread for the next couple of hours trying to compare real pictures of the NG cockpit to these magnificent renditions.@Kylan, just like their old NG, they'll support these display variants. smile.gif

Erik L.

As great as NGX looks, I have to say that for FS2002, your first effort is still impressive. It's hard to believe, but you've come an order of magnitude better than FS.

Herman Ross

Seattle, USA

Bloody Incredible! :Big Grin:One thing I must ask is are you guys going to allow us Southwest Airlines flyers to have the 737 Classic style PFD and MFD?89328214.jpg
Already in.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Wow Excellent Virtual Cockpit, i know this may be pushing it but can we see how this cockpit looks at night :)AdnanMelbourne, VIc

Wow! Very very nice update indeed. Thanks for the update Robert, and thanks too by the way for that other recent thing (also very much appreciated).Edit: The pogo stick must be in the hold again, or perhaps one of the wheel bays? :)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

As unlikely as this may seem, and since this question hasn't been asked before:Will the NGX feature a working weather radar with depictions on the Nav Display?

Erik L.