Sign in to follow this  
spesimen

prepar3d and the new ms fly compared to FSX

While I could be wrong... I believe that Lockheed Martin actually purchased ESP... not the object code. If so, they are not under any EULA.
I was referring to us Ed. Lockheed purchased IP licensing which still would have terms and agreements. But you can bet Prepar3D will have a Eula for its intended use. Most software does.Regards,Jim

While I could be wrong... I believe that Lockheed Martin actually purchased ESP... not the object code. If so, they are not under any EULA.
No they entered into a licensing agreement with MS to develop using ESP, so they are under a EULA."ORLANDO, Fla, November 30th, 2009 -- Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) and Microsoft Corp. entered into an intellectual property licensing agreement that allows Lockheed Martin to further develop the Microsoft® ESP™ PC-based visual simulation software platform to better train warfighters for battle."

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

No they entered into a licensing agreement with MS to develop using ESP, so they are under a EULA."ORLANDO, Fla, November 30th, 2009 -- Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) and Microsoft Corp. entered into an intellectual property licensing agreement that allows Lockheed Martin to further develop the Microsoft® ESP™ PC-based visual simulation software platform to better train warfighters for battle."
Yes... translated that means they purchased the source code to ESP itself. The 'licensing' is actually a restriction that prevents Lockheed Martin from developing a flight simulator for non-commercial use.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest PFL

1. It´s possible to buy FSX Gold in Europe for abt. 30 USD.2. 499 USD for Prepar3d - this "Commercial Product" - is indeed a clever move, if it´s actually the same outdated "Hog" as FSX!Just my 2 remarks as a private simmer.

You may be able to use prepar3D commercially but I can't imagine that you will be able to use any add-ons, such as REX, PMDG etc as they each have their own EULA which states Not for Commercial Use. Imagine FSX with no add-ons?
I suspect that if a Commercial Developer went to an Addon Developer, like REX, they could negotiate a "License" to use the Addon Developers product in their Commercial Product. Everything has a price. and for the "right price", why would they say "NO" ???Geoff

Guest Georg123
FSX is probably the most stable, crash free program I've installed in my computer
Lol...seriously... :)FSX personally gives so much headaches because of all the issues, graphics corruption, flickering, CTDs, Windows "vanishing", s***y performance etc..etc...that any time when i play something else i simply cannot believe that OTHER games "just work" without any problems at all. It is true that we can tweak FSX to a certain extent (you certainly know best :) ) - but saying that FSX is the most stable program kinda made me chuckle :)I (personally) am actually at a point where i give up on FSX....after weeks of tweaking i am now at a point that it STILL looks like's running on a 20 year old computer, and i noticed that textures take MINUTES to load. Eg i fly into an area which, after 160gb installation of scenery and what is supposed to be "improvements", still looks like shiate since it takes 5 minutes until the better textures pop up...etc..etc...

you ARE kidding right?From what I've seen so far, I'd say Flight is anything BUT an 'optimized' version of FSX.Vic
Wow, you must be pretty important to be privy to information that not even the top addon developers have seen yet.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Seems like some wishes become manifest in "Prepared". Some of them even seem to include fixes to problems which don't have any general nature and the best advice so far comes from Bojote: if you have trouble with running Fsx (stable, fast or whatever) this could happen too on his professional brother so "prepare" for an expensive disappointment. Just%20Kidding.gifTogether with the problems of availability for private users and the huge costs of the additional licenses for addon products, this doesn't look like an option at all in my eyes.

There are so many posts there must be some genuine issues.Still, I’ve been lucky myself…I’d actually say my FSX is robust and stable.It is very close to a default install.I only have one scenery installed, which does have errors – missing art.This may be my fault now - I applied a patch (I hoped would fix it) and missed a couple steps in the instructions.Messed up the scenery folder...I fixed that, but I’m still getting warnings about missing content.I use windows XP (that’s32-bit) and an Nvidia card…my PC’s about three years old.I really think this is a big reason why my FSX is so stable.It’s more or less the system ACES might have used to build FSX.The Vista delay really put FSX over a barrel…my hunch is FSX hasn’t been refined for the newer OS’s.Maybe that’s why people are getting good result by tweaking the config…tuning that should have been done in-house with the newer OS.We’re not actually running ‘FSX’…we’re running some sort of FSX hybrid we’ve created.FSX is not like any other game it’s more like a construction set.We use different textures, sounds, models, scripts, code, and configs...in unknown combinations...and without a good resource budget.Running unique hardware, OS’s, hyper-clock speed, drivers, video cards….some stuff that wasn’t around when FSX was spec’d.It’s why consoles are so good for gaming. And developers get the best results with consoles - not PC's.I wouldn’t say FSX doesn’t have blocker bugs…but I can’t say it does either.Unless I could really unravel all my customizations and isolate an issue…it’s hard to know.Something MS should do is gives us tools to help find these problems.

Seems like some wishes become manifest in "Prepared". Some of them even seem to include fixes to problems which don't have any general nature and the best advice so far comes from Bojote: if you have trouble with running Fsx (stable, fast or whatever) this could happen too on his professional brother so "prepare" for an expensive disappointment. Just%20Kidding.gifTogether with the problems of availability for private users and the huge costs of the additional licenses for addon products, this doesn't look like an option at all in my eyes.
I'm pretty sure Prepar3D fixed some stability issues, like the HIGHMEMFIX for example is enabled by default. Anyway, there is still room for 'tweaking' FSX... and I'm NOT refering to fsx.cfg tweaks, but more 'high level' ones. I have developed my own Proxy/Wrapper D3D API Interceptor. A custom d3d9.dll where I can change any D3D call any way I want without impacting performance. Right now, I'm doing the following:1) IDirect3D9::CreateDevice right now is passing 'incorrect' flags for 'BehaviorFlags', I'm modifying the flags to allow Vertex processing to be done exclusively on HARDWARE, not Mixed/Software as it is now.2) IDirect3DDevice9::CreateIndexBuffer and IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer create Dynamic buffers, I changed that to STATIC to prevent saving Vertex data to AGP memory and do it to video Memory instead.3) Post rendering HDR/Bloom effects so we can have our own custom ENBSeries clone.4) A more stable frame Rate limiter that keeps frames contant and not fluctuating like the FPS Limiter does.The above, is an all-in-one d3d9.dll in early alpha stage that with the right modifications can really make FSX shine. I'm experimenting at the moment ;) I'll probably bundle it with the Shader 3 Mod Version 2.0 ;)

Guest 413X3

******* I'd love to help test this new .dll file when you are ready!

******* I'd love to help test this new .dll file when you are ready!
And by the way.... Boris, the ENBSeries developer finally agreed to make the modifications needed to make ENBSeries work with HIGHMEMFIX, any way you should see a Custom ENBSeries released soon exclusively for FSX.. David, I'll let you know.. its still a very early alpha with lots of logging, not suitable for production use.

Might be we are getting off topic if we discuss the Fsx stability (or not-stability) now. I just want you to be aware of this.I think it will be hard to find such a highly modified and expanded program like an "average" (there is no average) Fsx installation in the game sector. You've pointed out this variety of combinations.So the only thing that comes close to this variety might be the operating system itself. While you would see guys struggling every few days, others run flaw-free for years and everyone of them has his own unique hard- and software setup. Hard to say if the core is good or bad then, in my eyes: good.Back to "Prepared" this will mostly mean that the character of Fsx is doubled there while one would see some improvements developed by Lockheed. If the Fsx core wasn't stable and able to be developed somehow further, they wouldn't have taken that task I think.But as our professional members pointed out in this and in other threads: there are quite some license issues to fight and most of all to pay until you can enjoy this tuned Fsx core and the costs and license things don't end there as you will probably expand your "Prepared" installation like you would do on a normal Fsx one.Hard to say if this effort is of any use or even avail- and affordable. I'd say no.So while nobody really runs this thing all wishes and hopes of the normal customers form a picture of this "new" Fsx and I really doubt that the additional features and fixes can fulfill this demandI'm sorry, *******, since I wrote this some time seemed to have passed by.You are posting some very interesting things and I wonder where you have been as ACES was still running.Let me, if I'm allowed, drop in the idea of cloud shadows (which the ENB author mentioned in his thread but GTA4 related) and then see my being amazed about your efforts on your hobby.Is it still a hobby or is it life? Whatever the answer is: keep on going and stay sharp. :(

And by the way.... Boris, the ENBSeries developer finally agreed to make the modifications needed to make ENBSeries work with HIGHMEMFIX, any way you should see a Custom ENBSeries released soon exclusively for FSX..
Good to know, but I am already using the HIGHMEMFIX entry in my FSX.cfg along with the latest version of the ENBSeries and it works fine on my rig. Should it not be working?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator