Sign in to follow this  
spesimen

prepar3d and the new ms fly compared to FSX

Ot: sounds amazing, bojote! Thanks for your efforts. I would like to help testing too!

Lennart

Banner_MJC11.png

Wow, you must be pretty important to be privy to information that not even the top addon developers have seen yet.
Wow! You'll never know. But from your comment I assume that English is not your native language. What do you not understand about "from what I've seen, MF is anything but an optimized version of FSX'?And where did I imply that I was privy to "inside" info. Let's put it this way, I'm as privy to inside info as you are, but we both can't talk about it, can we??As some folks say - take a chill pill - but I stand by my comment as written - not as fantasized in your world.When I see more I may change my opinion.edit: AH, I see your issue - the word 'seen' - ok, I have not 'seen' anything that anyone else hasn't 'seen'. I used the term to include what I've read, heard and seen - a common usage BTW.So if that's what got your panties in a bunch, I hope it's clarified.My opinion is still the same.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Wow! You'll never know. But from your comment I assume that English is not your native language. What do you not understand about "from what I've seen, MF is anything but an optimized version of FSX'?And where did I imply that I was privy to "inside" info. Let's put it this way, I'm as privy to inside info as you are, but we both can't talk about it, can we??As some folks say - take a chill pill - but I stand by my comment as written - not as fantasized in your world.When I see more I may change my opinion.edit: AH, I see your issue - the word 'seen' - ok, I have not 'seen' anything that anyone else hasn't 'seen'. I used the term to include what I've read, heard and seen - a common usage BTW.So if that's what got your panties in a bunch, I hope it's clarified.My opinion is still the same.Vic
Always one geez.

Guest veeray

vgbaron: fact of the matter is someone just thinks they're better than you... For a company that begs for civility in their own forums, this would seem rather unacceptable to me as well. If you understand the past and the present you understand the future.. the last thing you need is a memo from microsoft suggesting what you should already know in the first place. FS does not live in isolation of every other game or peice of software outthere.

vgbaron: fact of the matter is someone just thinks they're better than you... For a company that begs for civility in their own forums, this would seem rather unacceptable to me as well. If you understand the past and the present you understant the future.. the last thing you need a memo from microsoft suggesting what you should already know in the first place. FS does not live in isolation of every other game or peice of software outthere.
Obviously I thought the comment was rude and out of line but considering who posted it................... :( Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi Folks

We’re not actually running ‘FSX’…we’re running some sort of FSX hybrid we’ve created.FSX is not like any other game it’s more like a construction set.We use different textures, sounds, models, scripts, code, and configs...in unknown combinations...and without a good resource budget.
Off-topic, but generally agreed.However,you do have a perfected resource budget,calculated every time you launch FSX.It'll precisely configure FSX for your PC's currently available resources.It's the "Reset to Default" settings button. The problems only arisewhen some users "up" their sliders,without a corresponding "downing" of their other sliders.HTHATBPaul

Hi all,I have been running Prepar3d for a week or two now. And guess what... FSX, is now lying in the bin!! I love this thing.I registered as a "developer" and am paying a $10/month subscription which entitles me to two licenses and the SDK. I have a 2006 mac pro quad 2.66 zeon, 4 GB RAM and an ati 5870 and I can say that prepar3d runs the way fsx always SHOULD have. Great performance increases :).So long as you follow the FSX integration installation instructions on Lockheed's website, 99.9% of FSX addons work just as they would in FSX. I have installed captainsim jets, a2a accusim b377, PNG Bushpilot scenery and many others perfectly. I have noticed there's a couple of gauge issues with the uiver dc-2 but I'm confident I can fix these.The only other downsides I've found so far is the UI is quite watered down but imho, in a good way. There is less default aircraft; no boeing, airbus or cessna A/C i'm guessing due to licensing issues with the plane manufacturers. Also the weather interface is a little buggy and there appears to be a lack of a "real world weather" option.In short though, IT ROCKS!!! And for $10 a month, just try it then delete it if you don't like it.Buy it now and start hassling all our third party devs to look at supporting it, I recon lockheed's really on to something good here! ;)CheersEDIT: Oh yes and Prepar3d is already supported by FSUIPC... Handy!

Hi all,I have been running Prepar3d for a week or two now. And guess what... FSX, is now lying in the bin!! I love this thing.I registered as a "developer" and am paying a $10/month subscription which entitles me to two licenses and the SDK. I have a 2006 mac pro quad 2.66 zeon, 4 GB RAM and an ati 5870 and I can say that prepar3d runs the way fsx always SHOULD have. Great performance increases :).So long as you follow the FSX integration installation instructions on Lockheed's website, 99.9% of FSX addons work just as they would in FSX. I have installed captainsim jets, a2a accusim b377, PNG Bushpilot scenery and many others perfectly. I have noticed there's a couple of gauge issues with the uiver dc-2 but I'm confident I can fix these.The only other downsides I've found so far is the UI is quite watered down but imho, in a good way. There is less default aircraft; no boeing, airbus or cessna A/C i'm guessing due to licensing issues with the plane manufacturers. Also the weather interface is a little buggy and there appears to be a lack of a "real world weather" option.In short though, IT ROCKS!!! And for $10 a month, just try it then delete it if you don't like it.Buy it now and start hassling all our third party devs to look at supporting it, I recon lockheed's really on to something good here! ;)CheersEDIT: Oh yes and Prepar3d is already supported by FSUIPC... Handy!
That's very encouraging, that you are noticing an increase in performance. That would be one reason for me to try Prepar3d.Do you have a rough estimate of the performance increase?

FS Break,A Biweekly, Flight Sim related podcast recently had Chester Kennedy of Lockheed Martin on,Talking about their Prepar3D program. It's very enlightening what Lockheed have claimed to have done with ESP and how well FSX will run on Prepar3D. It's worth a listen,The interview is the first portion of the show.You can Download/Listen here..............http://www.fsbreak.n...s-prepar3d.html

interesting podcast badaboom. the juicier technical info is around 5-7min..it's funny how old this thread is...well now that it's a few months later the proof of the capabilities is there to be analyzed!of course..it's difficult to do an apples to apples comparison with a real suite of current add-ons, because to get a lot of them to install on prepar3d either involves careful editing of many config files or just reinstalling and blowing away your fsx install to fake the registry to point to the correct place...which makes doing a quick a/b compare tricky (unless you have two identical computers to test on..) there may be some ways to automate this process but what's there, it's not really for the casual user..the lack of UI means there is some issues in getting setups saved, it seems to me it is really intended to be a fixed platform type of sim where all the config files are meant to be set for one thing ahead of time and that's it, although i think i saw in the 1.1 patch notes something about adding facilites for key config modification..anyway such an approach makes sense if you consider it being targeted towards high-end setups that have fixed hardware cockpits, etc.after what rougegent said about rex, i had to try some other weather, and i was pleasantly surprised to see that ASE connected and worked without any tweak at all, i guess the simconnect interface doesn't discriminate against which processes are attached to it?i can't really speak to the performance..numbers wise, the top end fps is similar to my fsx setup if i reduce prepar3d settings to match my fsx texture sizes. however i have not had a chance to do any specific tests with the same scenery and settings across both, and to say otherwise would be just speculation...outside of the starting area the scenery that comes with it looks at first glance like vanilla fsx, which i haven't run in ages... there may be changes i couldn't see, the added bathymetry data maybe imples the terrain is different also but i don't know how it compares to the fsg meshes or orbx meshes in terms of density or accuracy. anecdotally, i would say that stability on doing a lot of reloading the sim seemed improved, and loading in general seemed quicker.. cheers,-andy crosby

And by the way.... Boris, the ENBSeries developer finally agreed to make the modifications needed to make ENBSeries work with HIGHMEMFIX, any way you should see a Custom ENBSeries released soon exclusively for FSX..
So, what happened to this?

there may be some ways to automate this process but what's there, it's not really for the casual user..the lack of UI means there is some issues in getting setups saved
Andy, have you tried launching Prepar3D with the -dev command line switch? Doing so will allow you to see/use the full GUI (top toolbar).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hey Bill,

Andy, have you tried launching Prepar3D with the -dev command line switch? Doing so will allow you to see/use the full GUI (top toolbar).
That's not needed with Prepar3d, all the stuff that was connected to the -dev switch in ESP was mostly disconnected in Prepar3D (forcing the gauge error display on might still be connected). I think what spesimen was refering to was the lack of a pregame UI (Create Flight, etc), but everything that was available via UI is still there, just no combined Create a Flight screen.Tim

Hey Bill, I think what spesimen was refering to was the lack of a pregame UI (Create Flight, etc), but everything that was available via UI is still there, just no combined Create a Flight screen.Tim
bill + tim,thanks for the info guys...yes, tim is correct, i can see the toolbar already... i had some issues with changes i made to the key config from the menu that were not sticking from one session to the next, and also setting a default flight didn't work, although i haven't investigated thoroughly or RTFM yet so i'm expecting it's user error. it also took me a minute to find the realism settings which previously were only exposed under the external UI. either way it's quite an interesting diversion, i'm looking forward to doing some actual comparison tests!cheers-andy crosby