Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Bojote's WaterConstants.Xml

Simply create a new file, name it WaterConstants.Xml and copy the contents located on the CODE section of this post inside it. When you are done, copy the newly created WaterConstants.Xml into your FSX root directory.This replacement file will remove the 'grids' some people experienced when using the Shader 3 mod, it will also make the water much better by reducing The Bump scale and adjusting some other paramenters.IMPORTANT: After replacing your WaterConstants.Xml file you HAVE to clean the shader cache in FSX so it is rebuilt with the new data found in WaterConstants.Xml. If you don't know how to clean the cache, read the instructions provided in the shader mod package (AVSIM Library).Enjoy,P.D: If you want to change the intensity of the sun / moon reflections look for the fSpecularBoost boost value. A 'low' but good value is 1430, in this WaterConstants.Xml the value is set to 1540, which is a bit high for some users taste.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><SimBase.Document Type="WaterConstantFile" version="1,0">    <Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>    <WaterConsts.ConstantSets>        <ConstantSet>            <Shader20>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>                    <fSpecularPower>53.384</fSpecularPower>                    <fSpecularBoost>1.540</fSpecularBoost>                    <fSpecularBlend>0.605</fSpecularBlend>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale>1.000</fWaveBumpUVScale>                    <fWaterBumpRotation>45.000</fWaterBumpRotation>                    <fTimeX1>-0.283</fTimeX1>                    <fTimeY1>0.004</fTimeY1>                    <fTimeX2>-0.423</fTimeX2>                    <fTimeY2>0.838</fTimeY2>            </Shader20>            <Shader30>            </Shader30>            <Wave>            </Wave>            <Shader40WaterClassSet>                <Shader40>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>                    <fSpecularPower>53.384</fSpecularPower>                    <fSpecularBoost>1.005</fSpecularBoost>                    <fSpecularBlend>0.605</fSpecularBlend>                    <fWhiteCapPower>0.844</fWhiteCapPower>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale1>3.847</fWaveBumpUVScale1>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale2>3.563</fWaveBumpUVScale2>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale3>1.822</fWaveBumpUVScale3>                    <fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>4.217</fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>                    <fWaterBumpRotation1>141.516</fWaterBumpRotation1>                    <fWaterBumpRotation2>331.488</fWaterBumpRotation2>                    <fWaterBumpRotation3>62.388</fWaterBumpRotation3>                    <fWaterBumpBlend1>0.757</fWaterBumpBlend1>                    <fWaterBumpBlend2>0.751</fWaterBumpBlend2>                    <fWaterBumpBlend3>0.567</fWaterBumpBlend3>                    <fWaterBumpBlendDetail>0.616</fWaterBumpBlendDetail>                    <fWaterBumpWind3>0.599</fWaterBumpWind3>                    <fWaterBumpWindDetail>0.497</fWaterBumpWindDetail>                    <fTimeX1>-1.283</fTimeX1>                    <fTimeX2>-1.423</fTimeX2>                    <fTimeX3>1.074</fTimeX3>                    <fTimeXDetail>-2.882</fTimeXDetail>                    <fTimeY1>1.004</fTimeY1>                    <fTimeY2>1.838</fTimeY2>                    <fTimeY3>-0.036</fTimeY3>                    <fTimeYDetail>2.740</fTimeYDetail>                </Shader40>            </Shader40WaterClassSet>        </ConstantSet>        <ConstantSet>            <Elevation>MID</Elevation>            <Shader20>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>                    <fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower>                    <fSpecularBoost>1.540</fSpecularBoost>                    <fSpecularBlend>0.619</fSpecularBlend>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale>0.700</fWaveBumpUVScale>                    <fWaterBumpRotation>45.000</fWaterBumpRotation>                    <fTimeX1>-0.083</fTimeX1>                    <fTimeY1>0.004</fTimeY1>                    <fTimeX2>-0.023</fTimeX2>                    <fTimeY2>0.038</fTimeY2>            </Shader20>            <Shader30>            </Shader30>            <Wave>            </Wave>            <Shader40WaterClassSet>                <Shader40>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>                    <fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower>                    <fSpecularBoost>1.004</fSpecularBoost>                    <fSpecularBlend>0.719</fSpecularBlend>                    <fWhiteCapPower>0.838</fWhiteCapPower>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale1>2.405</fWaveBumpUVScale1>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale2>2.405</fWaveBumpUVScale2>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale3>1.352</fWaveBumpUVScale3>                    <fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>16.527</fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>                    <fWaterBumpRotation1>141.516</fWaterBumpRotation1>                    <fWaterBumpRotation2>330.804</fWaterBumpRotation2>                    <fWaterBumpRotation3>62.388</fWaterBumpRotation3>                    <fWaterBumpRotationDetail>156.024</fWaterBumpRotationDetail>                    <fWaterBumpBlend1>0.751</fWaterBumpBlend1>                    <fWaterBumpBlend2>0.746</fWaterBumpBlend2>                    <fWaterBumpBlend3>0.723</fWaterBumpBlend3>                    <fWaterBumpBlendDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpBlendDetail>                    <fWaterBumpWind3>0.595</fWaterBumpWind3>                    <fWaterBumpWindDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpWindDetail>                    <fTimeX1>-0.869</fTimeX1>                    <fTimeX2>-1.006</fTimeX2>                    <fTimeX3>0.727</fTimeX3>                    <fTimeXDetail>0.659</fTimeXDetail>                    <fTimeY1>0.727</fTimeY1>                    <fTimeY2>1.214</fTimeY2>                    <fTimeY3>-0.036</fTimeY3>                    <fTimeYDetail>-2.185</fTimeYDetail>                </Shader40>            </Shader40WaterClassSet>        </ConstantSet>        <ConstantSet>            <Elevation>HIGH</Elevation>            <Shader20>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>                    <fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower>                    <fSpecularBoost>1.540</fSpecularBoost>                    <fSpecularBlend>0.619</fSpecularBlend>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale>0.300</fWaveBumpUVScale>                    <fWaterBumpRotation>45.000</fWaterBumpRotation>                    <fTimeX1>-0.083</fTimeX1>                    <fTimeY1>0.004</fTimeY1>                    <fTimeX2>-0.023</fTimeX2>                    <fTimeY2>0.038</fTimeY2>            </Shader20>            <Shader30>            </Shader30>            <Wave>            </Wave>            <Shader40WaterClassSet>                <Shader40>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>                    <fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>                    <fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower>                    <fSpecularBoost>1.004</fSpecularBoost>                    <fSpecularBlend>0.719</fSpecularBlend>                    <fWhiteCapPower>0.844</fWhiteCapPower>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale1>1.248</fWaveBumpUVScale1>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale2>1.248</fWaveBumpUVScale2>                    <fWaveBumpUVScale3>0.674</fWaveBumpUVScale3>                    <fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>0.100</fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>                    <fWaterBumpRotation1>141.516</fWaterBumpRotation1>                    <fWaterBumpRotation2>328.752</fWaterBumpRotation2>                    <fWaterBumpRotation3>62.388</fWaterBumpRotation3>                    <fWaterBumpRotationDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpRotationDetail>                    <fWaterBumpBlend1>0.746</fWaterBumpBlend1>                    <fWaterBumpBlend2>0.746</fWaterBumpBlend2>                    <fWaterBumpBlend3>0.682</fWaterBumpBlend3>                    <fWaterBumpBlendDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpBlendDetail>                    <fWaterBumpWind3>0.595</fWaterBumpWind3>                    <fWaterBumpWindDetail>0.023</fWaterBumpWindDetail>                    <fTimeX1>-0.728</fTimeX1>                    <fTimeX2>-0.798</fTimeX2>                    <fTimeX3>0.589</fTimeX3>                    <fTimeXDetail>-1.000</fTimeXDetail>                    <fTimeY1>0.312</fTimeY1>                    <fTimeY2>0.935</fTimeY2>                    <fTimeY3>-0.036</fTimeY3>                    <fTimeYDetail>1.000</fTimeYDetail>                </Shader40>            </Shader40WaterClassSet>        </ConstantSet>    </WaterConsts.ConstantSets></SimBase.Document>

Guest PFL

Thanks man, I´ll give this a try with my ATI 5870 card...But what about REX water, does this replace it completely?

Thanks man, I´ll give this a try with my ATI 5870 card...But what about REX water, does this replace it completely?
...nothing to do with REX water: this controls the sparkle and wave height, etc., that FSX displays. REX just provides the textures that replace the original MS textures.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

...nothing to do with REX water: this controls the sparkle and wave height, etc., that FSX displays. REX just provides the textures that replace the original MS textures.
Are you sure about that? Wave animation is set within REX!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Are you sure about that? Wave animation is set within REX!
Not 1000%, Tom - just what I remember from *******'s original thread and my playing with my own WaterConstants.Xml file to get mine to where it looked right. I do use REX, but I was more answering the op's question - "what about REX water, does this replace it completely?", and REX textures do replace the default textures.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Not 1000%, Tom - just what I remember from *******'s original thread and my playing with my own WaterConstants.Xml file to get mine to where it looked right. I do use REX, but I was more answering the op's question - "what about REX water, does this replace it completely?", and REX textures do replace the default textures.
In fact, wave height and directon can be controlled in the WaterConstants.Xml file. <fWaveBumpUVScale>1.000</fWaveBumpUVScale> <fWaterBumpRotation>45.000</fWaterBumpRotation> The UV scale is the actual 'height' in this case the LOWER the number, the more 'active' the sea will look (due to waves) so at HIGHER altitudes, you might want to set this value 'lower' like 0.200. Setting it to 1.000 will give you a calmer looking sea.Bump rotation is set in degrees. 0-360 it determines the direction of the waves above. DX10 (In FSX) has an option for whitecaps, and you can specify up to 3 Bump Scales and rotations, the effect is the sea waves hitting with each other. This can be done in DX9 for FSX, but is too much work and can even impact performance, so I'm not doing it.One more thing, the WaterConstants.Xml file has 3 sections:LOW, MID and HIGHLOW are settings for how the water looks under 1500ft, MID is from 1500ft to 10000ftHIGH is above 10000ftThe only values I will play with:<fWaveBumpUVScale>1.000</fWaveBumpUVScale> - Can go from 0.100 to 4.000 higher numbers, smaller waves and sparkles, but more shimmering<fSpecularBoost>1.540</fSpecularBoost> - Lower numbers reduce SUN and MOON reflections on the water.P.D. I was about to release a newer shader mod, but I constantly find the one I published here in AVSIM (performance edition v1.5) the best one yet, at least in terms of image quality (performance wise I don't get any benefits because I use an nVidia card) anyway, the ONLY thing I would change from that package is the actual WaterConstans.Xml file and replace it with the one I published in this post.Cheers,

Play with whatever numbers you like *******, as far as I'm concerned you've produced another beauty right out of the box! That's not to say I wont be tempted to fiddle with it a little later on. :(

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

HaySoose - YOU DA MAN! :(

Guest PFL
Yes, I know that REX replaces the default textures, but what about this water constant when you use Shader 3.0?REX is 2.0 right?So what happens?Oh, and don´t use FS Water Config. with this, I tried, and a "Creamy Vanilla Sea" appeared!

Guest Zorg_DK

Thanks *******. It looks nice with Rex dx9 sparkling. Is it possible to make the animation more active? The animation seems quite static. Cheers.enb2010118151550.jpg

Thanks *******. It looks nice with Rex dx9 sparkling. Is it possible to make the animation more active? The animation seems quite static. Cheers.enb2010118151550.jpg
Hmm.. let's see. INCREASING the Bump, will make things more 'sparkly' thus, it'll appear to be more 'aninated'aditionally, you can control the speed of the water. Right now is set to VERY SLOW, because.. in reality, oceans don't move like rivers. Are you using a REX theme? is 'advanced animations' checked in your FSX configuration? what is the name of the water theme you are using?I'm using REX OD, I think the water theme I have is one of the HD ones... can't remember the name, but there are only two HD 'Overdrive' themes for water.

Thanks for all your hard work Bojote!jja
it's always a pleasure helping the community ;)

Guest Zorg_DK
Hmm.. let's see. INCREASING the Bump, will make things more 'sparkly' thus, it'll appear to be more 'aninated'aditionally, you can control the speed of the water. Right now is set to VERY SLOW, because.. in reality, oceans don't move like rivers. Are you using a REX theme? is 'advanced animations' checked in your FSX configuration? what is the name of the water theme you are using?I'm using REX OD, I think the water theme I have is one of the HD ones... can't remember the name, but there are only two HD 'Overdrive' themes for water.
Yeah I think your're right it's overall more realistic with a slow animation but I like to speed it up a little. How do I increase it from very slow?I have advanced animations checked in FSX and my Rex water animation is sparkling ('wave animation (shader 2x only)' is checked in Rex options). I don't have Rex Overdrive yet but I'm going to download it now I think, and see how the new water animations look. Drooling.gif

How do I increase it from very slow?
You change this: <fTimeX1>-0.283</fTimeX1> <fTimeY1>0.004</fTimeY1> <fTimeX2>-0.423</fTimeX2> <fTimeY2>0.838</fTimeY2> to this: <fTimeX1>-1.283</fTimeX1> <fTimeY1>1.004</fTimeY1> <fTimeX2>-1.423</fTimeX2> <fTimeY2>1.838</fTimeY2> fTimeX1, fTimeY1, fTimeX2 and fTimeY2. X's are always negative numbers, Y's are always POSITIVE. The farthest they are apart (e.g X1 from Y1 and X2 from Y2) the faster your water will flow.