Sign in to follow this  
Guest freebird77

580 GTXs Get while they're Hot

Guest freebird77

Heads up, there out and available to order, not on Amazon yet (1am EST but Gigabyte, MSI, PNY and EVGA are all up on the EggWas to have a Asus580GTX on the way all ready but for some holdup and for extra insurance this will be benched on Wednesday: EVGA580GTX Newegg Put in the promo code EMCZZYR24 and get 10% offAll that can be done now is some benchies for some stable temp runs and then a few more FPS runs under old and new drivers before the new card goes in for Benching.Not expecting too much over the 480's but am very pleased with what has been shown about a bit less power draw and the factory cooling that runs quieter than a stock 285GTX and on a par to the Artic Extreme as in quiet under load, but will see.If you might be looking for a new high-end card - You can get these now :)

Heads up, there out and available to order, not on Amazon yet (1am EST but Gigabyte, MSI, PNY and EVGA are all up on the EggWas to have a Asus580GTX on the way all ready but for some holdup and for extra insurance this will be benched on Wednesday: EVGA580GTX Newegg Put in the promo code EMCZZYR24 and get 10% offAll that can be done now is some benchies for some stable temp runs and then a few more FPS runs under old and new drivers before the new card goes in for Benching.Not expecting too much over the 480's but am very pleased with what has been shown about a bit less power draw and the factory cooling that runs quieter than a stock 285GTX and on a par to the Artic Extreme as in quiet under load, but will see.If you might be looking for a new high-end card - You can get these now :)
Get the driver here:jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Thanks. I ordered mine this morning. The 10% discount advice was much appreciated. Can't wait to get it now.Stan

Add me to the list of new owners with an EVGA GTX 580 from newegg.com. I won't be back home to install it until next week though.

I am going to wait for the second generation ones with better cooling and higher default clock speeds, I have to get two for widescreen, so that 1000 purchase is not something I am eager to splash out(again).

Well, there's no doubt the GTX580 is quieter than the GTX480 and uses a fraction less power. Performance is a bit better too. But are they worth the money for FSX compared with the HD 5870, which although a fair bit slower uses a third less power and runs cool and quiet?See HotHardware review here:http://hothardware.com/Reviews/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-580-A-New-Flagship-Emerges/?page=11Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Well, there's no doubt the GTX580 is quieter than the GTX480 and uses a fraction less power. Performance is a bit better too. But are they worth the money for FSX compared with the HD 5870, which although a fair bit slower uses a third less power and runs cool and quiet?See HotHardware review here:http://hothardware.c...merges/?page=11Cheers,Noel.
Personally, I think that all 480 owners should be given a free upgrade!jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Guest freebird77
Thanks. I ordered mine this morning. The 10% discount advice was much appreciated. Can't wait to get it now.Stan
Which did you order Stan?
Add me to the list of new owners with an EVGA GTX 580 from newegg.com. I won't be back home to install it until next week though.
Hard to beat that limited life time warranty!

Guest freebird77
I am going to wait for the second generation ones with better cooling and higher default clock speeds, I have to get two for widescreen, so that 1000 purchase is not something I am eager to splash out(again).
True there is a 3GB slightly higher clocked version but thats about it as far as the high-end it until Kepler in 2011.By most all reviews the sound and cooling are actually VERY good for such a beast and O/C to stable 850+ core was no problem so its not like thats going to get that much better until the 28nm Kepler...

Which did you order Stan?Here's the one I ordered...and my tracking number says it will be here TODAY (Wednesday):EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $579.00.Hard to beat that limited life time warranty!

I would like to hear how it compares to my wonderful gtx 480.I'm just wondering how a 20% performance improvement will benefit FSX.For those going from a gtx 285, I know you will be delighted.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Wow. Mine was delivered today, and I will install it tomorrow. Too tired tonight. I ordered it only 2 days ago from NewEgg, and delivery time was absolutely incredible! This weekend I will be giving this super overclocked 580 a test. I KNOW how my 285 performed in many airports and locations. I'm totally aware of my frames everywhere since I usually leave the frame counter on. I've been very, very pleased with my 285, and if this card beats it in any way, I'm going to be one happy camper.Stan

Wow.  Mine was delivered today, and I will install it tomorrow.  Too tired tonight.  I ordered it only 2 days ago from NewEgg, and delivery time was absolutely incredible! This weekend I will be giving this super overclocked 580 a test.  I KNOW how my 285 performed in many airports and locations.  I'm totally aware of my frames everywhere since I usually leave the frame counter on.  I've been very, very pleased with my 285, and if this card beats it in any way, I'm going to be one happy camper.Stan
Terrific!  I get mine Friday.Have Fun!jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Guest freebird77
I would like to hear how it compares to my wonderful gtx 480.I'm just wondering how a 20% performance improvement will benefit FSX.For those going from a gtx 285, I know you will be delighted.
For one Its Much more quiet, Performance improvements are 15-30% in OTHER benchmarks over the 480 and I can only say at this point it sure feels better than 480, but Im not benching until I get all the profiles fugure out while she runs for a while, but so far It feels sweeter than expected, VERY smooth which is what I'm after, not that the 480s didn't do the job its just that It was barely enough to justify over the decent 285 and knowing that a refresh was coming made it an easy choice.Hey maybe I'm just dealing with the feeling good about new harware syndrome, but soon the numbers will tell the tale. I have to repeat again that for such a high-end heater the quiet factor is just realy realy good, I had had the wisper quiet Artic cool Accelero-Extreme on the 4XX cards and this is near dead silent on a very quiet system. Checking out the overclocking headroom even without adding some voltage, all the way around I feel it was the right move sending the 480s back and waiting it out, but will have to wait for the dust to settle to be sure.