•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

There have been 489 of your fellow community members and guests in the forums and elsewhere on AVSIM within the last 15 minutes!

SUBMIT YOUR NEWS TO AVSIM

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif What's new in the Library
rarrow.gif The Market Place!

rarrow.gif What's New In the Market

rarrow.gif What's Popular In the Market

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif AVSIM Social Groups - NEW!

rarrow.gif Member Reviews
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System - NEW!

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Live Video Streaming
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

AVSIM Market Place
Featured Products!

. . .
Photo

Follow me car

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 0Artur0

0Artur0

Member - 1,000+

• Gallery Owner
  • 1,011 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 8 Months and 19 Days Ago.
  • My PC

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

Any addons like Follow me car which work with RC4?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 Pete Dowson

Pete Dowson

Member - 1,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 1,082 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 7 Months and 7 Days Ago.

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

Any addons like Follow me car which work with RC4?

On FSX the FollowMe program by Daniel van Os will do -- FollowMe 2 doesn't depend on having FSX ATC active, and even supports an interface for sharing taxi routine with other programs -- something hopefully RC5 will make use of one day. But FollowMe 2 is only in Beta at present.Also for FSX the DBS Studio's Follow Me program works fine.I don't know about FS9.RegardsPete

#3 agutz

agutz

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 1 Month and 1 Day
  • My PC
  • My Simulator

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

"Also for FSX the DBS Studio's Follow Me program works fine."Well, yes, in a way.I use it occasionally. It doesn't seem to read taxiways and runways very well. On simple airports (where you actually don't need it) it works OK, on bigger airports like EHAM, LIRF, LIMC etc, where it would be useful, it usually guides me "through the tulips" ("querbeet" in German).So use it at your own risk.Andreas

#4 Pete Dowson

Pete Dowson

Member - 1,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

"Also for FSX the DBS Studio's Follow Me program works fine."Well, yes, in a way.

Ah, right. I must admit I've not used it a lot, as I'm on Daniel's Beta team so use his FollowMe 2 most of the time. I only tried the DBS one to compare them. I think Daniel's will be superior, but he's taking quite a long time perfecting it. A bit like JD and RCV5, in fact ... ;-)RegardsPete

#5 agutz

agutz

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • My PC
  • My Simulator

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:11 PM

" ... he's taking quite a long time perfecting it. A bit like JD and RCV5, in fact ... ;-)"Amen.Regards, Andreas

#6 0Artur0

0Artur0

Member - 1,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Gallery Owner
  • 1,011 posts
  • My PC

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:41 AM

Thank you for the suggestions!I almost bought DBS Studio's Follow Me since it doesn't use default ATC and read the information directly from scenery.. that sound's promising. But I need it specially for big 2+ runway airports, on smaller ones I can find my way just fine. If it doesn't work well on big ones, it's no use to me, sadly. I read about FollowMe program by Daniel van Os but that was quite some time ago and I see not much changed since than. About DBS Studio's Follow Me... does it work on some big airports or it has problems with big ones in general? Is it still helpful in a way or totally useless?

#7 Pete Dowson

Pete Dowson

Member - 1,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:42 AM

I read about FollowMe program by Daniel van Os but that was quite some time ago and I see not much changed since than.

Originally, when Daniel started on Follow Me 2 (nearly 2 years ago) he was asking for Beta testers from RC users -- mainly I think because of the Interface intended for RCV5. Maybe he would still like Beta testers -- it would do no harm to ask. Try private message via his Follow Me support forum.

About DBS Studio's Follow Me... does it work on some big airports or it has problems with big ones in general? Is it still helpful in a way or totally useless?

It was okay the few times I used it, and I don't go to very small airports in my 737. I have just received their latest version, so when I get time I will try again. Either way it would be worth your while finding their support forum and seeing what folks say (bearing in mind of course that Forums mainly attract folks with questions or problems).You could also ask in some places more general, like the AVSIM and SimFlight FSX Forums.RegardsPete

#8 agutz

agutz

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • My PC
  • My Simulator

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:02 AM

I didn't do systematic testing of the DBS Follow Me. But I can say that it rarely leads me to the gate without taking shortcuts through the landscape or over runways (gate to runway seems to work better). I sent screenshots to the DBS people, but didn't get a reaction. You can mail them for support but they don't seem to have a support forum.Andreas

#9 Pete Dowson

Pete Dowson

Member - 1,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:29 AM

I didn't do systematic testing of the DBS Follow Me. But I can say that it rarely leads me to the gate without taking shortcuts through the landscape or over runways (gate to runway seems to work better). I sent screenshots to the DBS people, but didn't get a reaction.

Have you yet tried the recent update (came out this week?). Maybe they fixed these things?I'll install it and try it when I get time. Up to my eyes in other stuff at present.RegardsPete

#10 0Artur0

0Artur0

Member - 1,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Gallery Owner
  • 1,011 posts
  • My PC

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:34 AM

I didn't find any forum either. But I sent them an email and they answered me in less than 30 minutes! I wanted to know if it depends on default ATC and got an answer that it reads info directly from scenery. In theory, that's exactly what I need.I'll send Daniel a message through FollowMe forum or maybe I'll just go ahead and try DBS studio's program.. I'm actually not fanatic about beta testing, believe it or not.

#11 jwhearst

jwhearst

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 8 Months and 16 Days Ago.
  • Interests:Other than FS, which I have been using since, probably Version 2 or 3, we have 3 horses and I ride regurly .<br /><br />I recently joined Rotary Club of Woodland Hills, Ca and am impressed by meeting good people who do good things.

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

I didn't find any forum either. But I sent them an email and they answered me in less than 30 minutes! I wanted to know if it depends on default ATC and got an answer that it reads info directly from scenery. In theory, that's exactly what I need.I'll send Daniel a message through FollowMe forum or maybe I'll just go ahead and try DBS studio's program.. I'm actually not fanatic about beta testing, believe it or not.

I ordered the program yesterday abd have never go through such Mickey Mouse to get an add-on downloaded. It's 30 hours later and I am waiting to get it activated.It better work better than the above posts or I am going to charge it back,

#12 0Artur0

0Artur0

Member - 1,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Gallery Owner
  • 1,011 posts
  • My PC

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:22 AM

It's 30 hours later and I am waiting to get it activated.

Ok, now this is getting funny.. I was just about to buy it again and than I read this... 30 hours?!.. that's more than 24 hours (well, obviously :( ).. during the week I'd expect quicker response, specially because they answered my question in less than 30 minutes.Please report back how the activation went.Is this like normal procedure, 30 hours?

#13 agutz

agutz

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • My PC
  • My Simulator

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:38 AM

Yes, the activation process is very "Mickey Mouse", to say the least. I have the latest version 1.4.I will use it more often to see if the driver of the car knows his airport better.Regards, Andreas

#14 Pete Dowson

Pete Dowson

Member - 1,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:59 AM

I'm actually not fanatic about beta testing, believe it or not.

Even when the Beta appears to work better than the alternative published program? ;-)It occurred to me that there is a third alternative, but only for selected airports. Aerosoft's AES. The program is free but you pay for each airport separately via tokens you buy. Of course it offers a lot more than just the Follow Me service. Like the other two, it is based on scenery, but the difference is that the taxi paths are determined by special code for each supported airport, and are therefore almost guaranteed to be more accurate. The push back feature knows the airport too and pushes back onto the taxi lines properly, too.RegardsPete

#15 0Artur0

0Artur0

Member - 1,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Gallery Owner
  • 1,011 posts
  • My PC

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:08 AM

Well, if beta works better I'm of course all for it :) Maybe I really should ask this Daniel guy what's going on in his department. I'm already using AES, great addon! But as you said it's for specific airports only, in addition I'd like something to use in general, on all (non AES) airports.But if the activation process is "mickey mouse" and you have to wait more than a whole work day for activation and that it really doesn't work very well on large airports.. I'll probably pass this DBS one.