Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Automated Tweaking and Tuning tool for FSX

You are running with frame rates set to unlimited, great! but MAKE SURE you use the 'external' frame rate limiter set to 'exactly' 20 FPS for optimal results.You don't have a BufferPools section!, adding optimized settings.HIGHMEMFIX was added to your config!You don't have the vSync Fix applied to your configuration!You don't have the vSync Fix (Windowed mode) applied to your configuration!ALLOW_SHADER_30=1 has been added to make FSX Shader 3 compatibleAircraft shadows removed for performance. Use Conservative to prevent this change.Your FIBER_FRAMETIME_FRACTION was set to 0.1! If you don't like this change use Conservative mode. Your TextureMaxLoad and SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT values will help prevent blurries.Setting TextureMaxLoad to 30 for faster texture loading.!SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT has been added to your configuration to prevent blurries.Your Water resolution have been adjusted to prevent white texture flashes.Adjusting SOUND_LOD for improved performance when using AI sounds. Interesting :)

Fulvio, thanks for pointing that out. I just noticed I was not adding it if that line was not present. It has been corrected.
*******,I forgot a question (and sent an empty reply...):You added a "Bufferpools" section in which there is only a line:RejectThreshold=131072What about poolsize? I suppose it is enabled and defaults to FSX SP2 standard (4 MB).Correct?ThanksFulvio

*******,I forgot a question (and sent an empty reply...):You added a "Bufferpools" section in which there is only a line:RejectThreshold=131072What about poolsize? I suppose it is enabled and defaults to FSX SP2 standard (4 MB).Correct?ThanksFulvio
Correct. You only need the RejectThreshold value.. at 128KB (131072 bytes) and assuming you run at 30FPS, 131072 x 30 = 3932160 (aprox 3.5MB) so really NO NEED to set that above 4MB. The RejectThreshold value caps the ammount of data sent by frame, the rest goes into the card command buffer.It wont hurt you to set a PoolSize value.. but default will be more than ok.

Hi *******,It seems I did pretty well using your excellent Tweaking and Tuning tool:Congratulations! Your have an optimal RejectThreshold value!Congratulations! you already have HIGHMEMFIX set!Congratulations! You already have an optimal SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT value.Setting TextureMaxLoad to 6 based on your TBM value.We suggest to try setting FPS to unlimted inside FSX, and use an EXTERNAL FPS limiter. You'll experience a massive performance increase.You are using a non standard Texture Size! we'll skip this option and leave it unchanged.MAKE SURE to disable Transparency Anti-aliasing for improved smoothness with your NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS card. Can you clarify what you mean by this:You are using a non standard Texture Size! There is a line in my fsx.CFG that reads: TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 (I believe 10 is the default value)Or are you referring to something else, perhaps?Also, I noted something odd before running my fsx.cfg file for a second time through your tuning tool:You don't have the vSync Fix applied to your configuration!You don't have the vSync Fix (Windowed mode) applied to your configuration! In fact, both these lines were already present in my original fsx.CFG file under [Display]:ForceFullScreenVSync=1 ForceVSync=1 After the second run, those comments regarding the vSync Fix did not reappear.May I add my profound thanks for all that you are doing to help the FSX community. It's greatly appreciated. The advice and explanations have taught me a great deal along the way as I read all the relevant threads in which you are contributing your expertise.Best regards,Mike

Hi *******,It seems I did pretty well using your excellent Tweaking and Tuning tool:
Indeed! You are using a non standard Texture Size! we'll skip this option and leave it unchanged.Simply refers to Global texture size. You are probably using 4096 textures. Not a big deal, you can ignore it is using REX.
In fact, both these lines were already present in my original fsx.CFG file under [Display]:
They go under GRAPHICS! that was probably the reason the tool warned you ;) and the second run you did not receive the message because they were added correctly. Check you GRAPHICS section and you will see them too!
May I add my profound thanks for all that you are doing to help the FSX community. It's greatly appreciated. The advice and explanations have taught me a great deal along the way as I read all the relevant threads in which you are contributing your expertise.
Always a pleasure to help!

"You are using a non standard Texture Size! we'll skip this option and leave it unchanged.Simply refers to Global texture size. You are probably using 4096 textures. Not a big deal, you can ignore it is using REX."Yes, I do use REX FSX.They go under GRAPHICS! that was probably the reason the tool warned you ;) and the second run you did not receive the message because they were added correctly. Check you GRAPHICS section and you will see them too!Ooops! Now how did I miss that? Thanks *******! Mike :)

Hi *******,Me again!While searching for and filling in the requested data on the 'FSX Tweaks Bench' spreadsheet I noted that the 'SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=' line is now missing from my fsx.CFG. I assume that this was removed by the tuning tool?Any reason?I am using your shader mod: ALLOW_SHADER_30=1 However, despite several changes since using your tweaking and tuning tool, I haven't noticed any graphics problems.Therefore, can I deduce that this line is needed no longer?Regards,Mike

I noted that the 'SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=' line is now missing from my fsx.CFG. I assume that this was removed by the tuning tool? Any reason? I haven't noticed any graphics problems.Therefore, can I deduce that this line is needed no longer? Mike
Use it or not, Mike: It's there as a convenient way to refresh the Shaders cache - if and when you change anything related to the Shaders system. Just change the number - boom - instant rebuild of the Shaders cache. Without the switch you have to go into C:\users\your username\AppData\local\Microsoft\FSX\ and delete or rename the Shaders files - which is a bigger pain than simply changing the _VERSION=number.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Use it or not, Mike: It's there as a convenient way to refresh the Shaders cache - if and when you change anything related to the Shaders system. Just change the number - boom - instant rebuild of the Shaders cache. Without the switch you have to go into C:\users\your username\AppData\local\Microsoft\FSX\ and delete or rename the Shaders files - which is a bigger pain than simply changing the _VERSION=number.
Ah, thanks, Paul. I have been assuming that a rebuild of the cache was needed after any changes made to the content of fsx.CFG and not just stuff related to the shaders system.I'll put the line back just in case it's needed in the future.I still wonder why the tool removed it?Regards,Mike

I still wonder why the tool removed it?
The new Shader 3 Mod (see my signature) already includes a way to easily flush the cache. I removed the line because is not really needed unless you are testing new shaders, mods etc. No need to worry about it. You can add it again or remove it, won't make a diff. It does exactly what Paul told you.

"You are using a non standard Texture Size! we'll skip this option and leave it unchanged.Simply refers to Global texture size. You are probably using 4096 textures. Not a big deal, you can ignore it is using REX."Yes, I do use REX FSX.They go under GRAPHICS! that was probably the reason the tool warned you ;) and the second run you did not receive the message because they were added correctly. Check you GRAPHICS section and you will see them too!Ooops! Now how did I miss that? Thanks *******! Mike :)
Hi *******,I was reviewing the texture size and, on firing up REX2 FSX I noted that under 3D Cloud Resolutions a check had been placed against the 4096x4096 HD textures. Clearly I don't need this and I do enjoy seeing plenty clouds so have changed to and installed 1024x1024 and the line in fsx.CFG to TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024. Must have changed during an update and I hadn't noticed.Running fsx.CFG through your tuning tool again:Congratulations! Your have an optimal RejectThreshold value!Congratulations! you already have HIGHMEMFIX set!You are running with frame rates set to unlimited, great! but MAKE SURE you use the 'external' frame rate limiter set to 'exactly' 20 FPS for optimal results. You can download it hereCongratulations! your TextureMaxLoad is set to an optimal value!Congratulations! You already have an optimal SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT value.Your have an optimal SmallPartRejectRadius value!MAKE SURE to disable Transparency Anti-aliasing for improved smoothness with your NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS card. Yes, I am now using the 'external frame rate limiter and Transparency Anti-aliasing was already disabled using nHancer.Interestingly enough I find I am now able to run with the 'external' frame rate limiter at 20 and the in-sim slider at unlimited (UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0) without stuttering. Never could before which had persuaded me in the past to abandon the external limiter.It's all good this end :)Regards,MikeBTW, I tried editing out the 'TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=' line since your tool advised me that it was being ignored (I had a value of 120)? I am assuming that the 'TextureMaxLoad=30' line now does the job. I tried changing the value to 'TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40' and, after a further scan, the tool didn't make any comment so I'm not quite sure whether it's still needed. In fact, the next run of FSX replaced the line with the default value of 40. So, needed or not, the sim appears hardcoded to ensure the line is present.

Yes, I am now using the 'external frame rate limiter and Transparency Anti-aliasing was already disabled using nHancer.It's all good this end :)
Hi Mike,Certain recomendations will still show because there is no way for me to know if, for example you are using the 'external' frame rate limiter 'or' if you disabled transparency AA. That kind of info is not in the file you upload! remember, I do not have access to your computer with the tool, just the file you upload (which is more secure and less intrusive than a tweak tool installed locally)

Hi *******, Thank you again for the tweaking tool that you provided, it really help FSX for me. I had one question for you concerning very small stutters in the sim which gets worse when I am around cities. Otherwise good stablity and fixed a graphics problem I was having. My question is do I have bufferpools set right for my system or is their something else I need to look at? I don't want to change anything and screw it up. Here are specs and the parts of the CFG. file that I think you would need. I have FPS set to 22 in sim and have not tried FPS limiter again because I could not get it to work before, maybe I will try again. Thanks for any help.CPU Q9450 quad oc to 3.24 GB memoryGTS 250 1GB video cardVista home premium 64 bitNhancer[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250.0]Mode=1680x1050x16TriLinear=1HIGHMEMFIX=1ALLOW_SHADER_30=1TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024[bUFFERPOOLS]PoolSize=90000000RejectThreshold=131072UsePools=1TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=70TextureMaxLoad=9TransitionTime=4.000000UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=22AffinityMask=14[TERRAIN]AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3DETAIL_TEXTURE=1LOD_RADIUS=4.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=100MESH_RESOLUTION=23SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=700TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=600TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29WATER_EFFECTS=5

Hi *******, Thank you again for the tweaking tool that you provided, it really help FSX for me.
Great to hear Perry.The only things I would change/experiment with in your config:1) Your PoolSize value is too large. If fact, leave it default.. remove that line.2) Experiment with UsePools=0 and check performance. I would not change anything else.You can obtain your optimal PoolSize value using this formula (but you REALLY don't have to do it) this is just for perfectionist, picky people like me:Poolsize = (Locked_FPS x RejectThreshold) * (STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD / Locked_FPS)STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD defaults to 60.STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD is the number of frames the graphics engine waits before discarding stale (old) data.make sure PoolSize is a multiple of 32.

Hi Bojote,Just a quick Q - after adding all the sugested tweaks from the cfg tool, I notice occasional quick and random flashing completely black of certain "tiles" on a sporadic basis. This is in detailed add-on island scenery with water set to max. Which one of the tweaks can I play with to try and reduce these flashing black tiles?It would appear that the sim is smoother, just hope remains stable now...Cheers,

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor