Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Heads up, Just Flight DC-3 released today

Been having a quick flirt about in Just Flight's shiny new Douglas DC-3, for which I also bought the expansion pack with the towable Waco glider and extra liveries for both the DC-3 and C-47 variants.First impressions: good frame rates, very nice model, good VC (with several variations including the AC-47 with the gunsight), nice sounds, decent flight model, lots of detail, Waco glider is flyable and pretty good too. Worth a look even if you have the MAAM DC-3, since this one is native FSX and you can never have too many DC-3s.Some piccies of it:dc6-1.jpgdc5-1.jpgdc4-1.jpgdc3-1.jpgdc2-1.jpgdc1-1.jpgI think I'd be pulling the cable jettison on any glider that got that high on the tow behind me though!Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

That is a really nice look VC panel. I might have to go get this one. I have a real DC-3 type rating. Cheapest type rating on the block back then. 15 hours @ $135.00/hr on the GI bill. Sounds like the good ole days.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Chock,Regarding the civilian liveries, which ones come with the base package and which with the expansion? The site pages are a little unclear on this. They show the American Airlines on the expansion pack product face, for example, but it's not on the expansion list. Also, what about Capitol, does it come with the base package? Thanks.John

Since I bought them together, I'm not 100 percent on this, but I think it is as follows...Base pack has these:Capital AirlinesAmerican Airlines 'Flagship Knoxville' British European Airways (BEA) Cambrian AirwaysDelta AirlinesLufthansaUnited Airlines (USA)C-47 Transport - 'Argonia' 94th TCS - D8 - lead ship for first wave, 6th June 1944 (Parachute ops with troops aboard) C-47 Transport - D8 - US Army Payload (Willis Jeep and troops aboard) RAF Dakota - YS as flown by Flt. Lt. D.S.A. Lord VC (with cargo load) AC-47 Gunship - 'Puff' - Silver and white schemeFlyable Waco CG-4A glider - Normandy 527848Expansion has these:BraniffBOACBritish United Airways Buffalo AirwaysContinental AirlinesEastern AirlinesKLMC-47 Transport - 95th. TCS The Snafu SpecialC-47 Transport - Berlin AirliftC-47 Transport - US Army glider tug with towed AI Waco glider - Argonia D8RAF Dakota - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight 'Pegasus'AC-47 Gunship 'Spooky'I'm pretty sure you can fly the Waco glider with the base pack, but you can only tow it with the expansion.Been doing a bit more flying with it in Air Hauler and it's pretty nice to fly although I suspect it can go a bit faster than a real DC-3 so you have to watch the throttle settings a little. The VC is really excellent incidentally, with a very convincing windshield wiper effect in the rain and snow, which is handy at this time of year if you fly with real weather downloads!Incidentally, if you are interested in the AA paint job, Flagship Knoxville is not as shiny as the real one that was restored to pristine condition a few years ago, so it looks more like it would have done when in actual service.dc7-1.jpgdc8-1.jpgAl

Alan Bradbury

That is a really nice look VC panel. I might have to go get this one. I have a real DC-3 type rating. Cheapest type rating on the block back then. 15 hours @ $135.00/hr on the GI bill. Sounds like the good ole days.Ray
I see that the latest aopa magazine features this airplane "75 years of the DC3". Ray, see my pm.Bruce.Edit. Seems I can't send you a pm.

Yup, I agree some of them could use a bit of dirt since they are all very clean, but then again it is easy to dirty textures up, trickier to clean them, so I'd rather it be that way, and there is a paintkit of course.Al

Alan Bradbury

Yup, I agree some of them could use a bit of dirt since they are all very clean, but then again it is easy to dirty textures up, trickier to clean them, so I'd rather it be that way, and there is a paintkit of course.Al
Well Alan, I am extremely disgusted by the very dirty quality of the default DC-3 cockpit. The stock VC does not replicate its operational conditions back then in World War II. Just Flight made that replication possible. Dave.

The windows don't look right from the outside view? They all look the same shape and size. :(

Dave Taylor gb.png

The windows don't look right from the outside view? They all look the same shape and size. :(
I don't get what you mean, they look exactly the same shape as the real thing to me.Al

Alan Bradbury

And 24 hours after I bought it, I'm totally sick of the cartoony cockpit, the rest of the plane is great but the cockpit lets it down badly

Of course it's a matter of taste, but personally, I think the cockpit is really well done, it reminds me a lot of being in the real thing. I don't think it looks cartoonish at all, it just looks like a panel in good new condition to me, and it is very much like the aircraft I've flown that are of the same era.Funnily enough, I just had a really brilliant fun flight in the thing. Weather in the UK is really bad at the moment, with airports closed, but I had a deadline in Air Hauler and had no choice if I didn't want to take a reputation hit, so I had to make a flight from Manchester to Biggin Hill in the DC-3 as all my other IFR-capable aircraft were outside the UK on other runs with AI pilots, and I always fly with real weather. Got me sweating trying to get it in for a landing, had to go around three times because of the decision height and poor visibility. With no sign of the weather easing up, I had to go for a landing as fuel was getting low. None of that fancy ILS stuff here.Take a look at this visibility and how little runway I had left when I came to a halt, can't believe I even got a 'greaser' too, I was aiming to simply not break too much LOL:dak2-1.jpgdak1-1.jpgdak3-1.jpgAl

Alan Bradbury

Sounds fun Al.You want to get your Dak fitted with a 'Rebecca' Beam Approach system! ^_^Ian