Sign in to follow this  
earthdog

FSX Tweaking Findings & Collaboration

FSX Tweaking has been around for ages and ******* brought new life to this area recently.Among other things there is a problem gathering the results of all these tweaks..I personally wonder : "How a similar pc is running FSX?" In order to have a baseline or even feedback from other users, WITHOUT loosing time to go around many many posts..So ithought to create an online Spreadsheet on google docs, for anyone interested to post there the findings..The drawback is that i cant sit here and put inside everyones results so i left it open for editing to anyone....If we can be honest to ourselves and dont mess it then my idea will work...If not, then we will remain blind :)))Here is the link..I put some of my info, the rest later when i will be in front of my PC FSX TWEAK BENCH SPREADSHEET : https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnSiH6FwYz_JdHJpekpnWmR6SGdqbFZFZnRXazJnTFE&hl=en

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Elias Stassinos - Author of PTTBuddy - Automatic volume control while you fly / play /stream
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings - i7-8700K / 32GB RAM / Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC / 1440p

In order to have a baseline or even feedback from other users, WITHOUT loosing time to go around many many posts..
Nice idea! the problem with gathering results is that some times, people using even the exact same hardware and even a similar fsx.cfg files experience completely different results. Tweaking the fsx.cfg 'assumes' a healthy system, and that is something that no ammount of fsx.cfg tweaking will solve *IF* you have a problem., so there should be an intermediate test (all subsystems) memory, disk, CPU, GPU and OS, to use that as an 'index' then, compare results inside FSX using the index as reference.

I couldn't agree more..BUT i still think that the info YOU will get from this maybe raise some more "Why's?" in your head...And i know you love Why's as much as youlike becauses..:))Nevertheless we are only 4 on the spreadsheet and if people dont start filling that up it wont matter much....I ll try to inform as many as i can for this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Elias Stassinos - Author of PTTBuddy - Automatic volume control while you fly / play /stream
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings - i7-8700K / 32GB RAM / Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC / 1440p

Good Day.Very curious guys…… I notice that the highest LOD setting any of you used was 4.5 which as I understand it is the default setting….. I have found that a LOD setting of 6.5 is the most powerful tool for improving the “Blurries” on my system….. Initial load times are slower and it has to be reset from default back to 6.5 in the fsx.cfg file if any in game changes are made but well worth the effort…… This is the only way I am able to get very sharp textures with minimal performance loss….. It has totally transformed scenery such as Orbx FTX PNW and MegaSceneryX for me…… My system is 2.5 years old and I run all scenery sliders with exception of water on the MAX settings…… JayDubIntel E8500 @ 3.8GHz ATI 48708GB RAMVista Home 64bit

hmmm nice, but what about the other settings? like aa and AF filtering...Mine which is a quad could run with 6.5 if i hadf lower or something in the filtering...BUT i will try 6.5 for my saved test flight nad report back here.

I think the spreadsheet is a good idea: it is good to get a snapshot of other simmers setup: the 'problem' I have is that we tweak depending upon the phase of the moon! Mine is now different, because I spent all day Tuesday and Wednesday fiddling - trying to get rid of shimmering water around KORS. After that I moved the memory speed up a notch to see if that would give more leeway. I moved a couple of bios voltages, and the memory will now stay stable at 1605. Couldn't do that before.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

ITs ok..that excel is raw data...put your name plus a number with the different versions you have...we can sort it and see later....

@audiohavoc : Having the GTX580 i thought that you could push more in Antialising and the sliders....

bump..

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

bump..
I see you run your 950 to 4.2 ..Can you tell me please which mobo and what cooling?I am getting today a Gigabyte X58-USB3 at least and an i950 and i want to reach 4.0 at leastin fact i am getting these...Intel Core I7-950 (s1366, 3.06GHz, 8MB, Box)Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (s1366, DDR3, X58)Corsair Dominator GT 6GB DDR3-1866 Kit (3x2GB, PC3-15000, 9-9-9-24, CMT6GX3M3A1866C9)Corsair CPU Cooler Air Series A70 (Intel 775,1156,1366 & AMD AM2/AM3)