Dazz, did you ever own a 580 and test it first hand and find out any facts that contradict what SpiritFlyer has presented? Are you saying that FPS is the only measurement that counts and that in CPU limited conditions, increased levels of AA, fluidity etc. are not important and are not worth it? What SpiritFlyer and many others have found/shown, is that there is large overall performance increase in FSX going to the 580. I am concerned that your comments about "[being] deceived big time" might mislead other to think otherwise.
I don't need to test a 580 to know that it will do nothing for my frames in those demanding situations because I can clearly see FSX being CPU limited there, and that's where the extra FPS would be very welcome. It's really not that hard to understand and to be honest I'm a bit tired of that argument. Anyway, I tested a GTX285 back when it was the best nVidia single GPU in the market and it went back to where it came from. If someone is expecting such a big leap in frame rates in all situations then yes, I guarantee many will be decieved when they fly to say Heathrow and they're getting some 20 frames on final just like with their old card. Even if it was smoother 20s (and stutters are very ocasional in my system anyway), 30 vs 20 makes a big difference when for example using trackIR. And I'm willing to bet that 99% of the people who spend 500$ in a videocard for FSX will be expecting something else than just some extra smoothness, and antialiasing (now that would be a nice test to run, how much antialiasing with lots of clouds can it handle). And that's all I wanted to warn Robbie about, that FSX is still CPU limited for the most part and to say otherwise is what may mislead people.If it's that big of a deal and gonna ###### you or Stephen off, I'm sorry, that's not my intention, but many others might appreciate to know before they take the plunge on a 500$ deal. I know I wouldAnd I know Dave would have loved to know too: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/317966-gtx-580-thread-opinions-reports/page__view__findpost__p__1878016

I don't need to test a 580 to know that it will do nothing for my frames in those demanding situations because I can clearly see FSX being CPU limited there, and that's where the extra FPS would be very welcome. It's really not that hard to understand and to be honest I'm a bit tired of that argument. Anyway, I tested a GTX285 back when it was the best nVidia single GPU in the market and it went back to where it came from. If someone is expecting such a big leap in frame rates in all situations then yes, I guarantee many will be decieved when they fly to say Heathrow and they're getting some 20 frames on final just like with their old card. Even if it was smoother 20s (and stutters are very ocasional in my system anyway), 30 vs 20 makes a big difference when for example using trackIR. And I'm willing to bet that 99% of the people who spend 500$ in a videocard for FSX will be expecting something else than just some extra smoothness, and antialiasing (now that would be a nice test to run, how much antialiasing with lots of clouds can it handle). And that's all I wanted to warn Robbie about, that FSX is still CPU limited for the most part and to say otherwise is what may mislead people.If it's that big of a deal and gonna ###### you or Stephen off, I'm sorry, that's not my intention, but many others might appreciate to know before they take the plunge on a 500$ deal. I know I wouldAnd I know Dave would have loved to know too: http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__1878016
+1 - Whether its a GTX285 or an OClckd 580, flying in and around KSFO is just plain crummy.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Guest veeray

Utter nonsense... Dazz... intel and nvidia have job openings why are you ignoring their attempts to hire you? After all you know more than those two companies combined it seems. i7=i5 ONLY in your dreams. 580=285... Merry Xmas!

Utter nonsense... Dazz... intel and nvidia have job openings why are you ignoring their attempts to hire you? After all you know more than those two companies combined it seems. i7=i5 ONLY in your dreams. 580=285... Merry Xmas!
No trash talking, thank you. If you have something to back up your words or something in particular you want to discuss, you're welcome to post that. Otherwise keep your crap to yourself, nobody cares

In FSX, an i5 @ 3.0Ghz equals an i7 @3.0 - since FSX apparently does not use hyperthreading. If an individual does not see significant FPS improvement in heavy airport situations, the a 500.00 plus card is not worth it. However, there might be some solid evidence that the 580 also helps increase framrates around complex airports in otherwise good i5/i7 CPU-based systems running at 3.0 plus Ghz - I just don't know where that evidence is.RH

Guest veeray

You are right.. an i5 does equal an i7 clock for clock when all your program does is increment a counter loop.

You are right.. an i5 does equal an i7 clock for clock when all your program does is increment a counter loop.
This is not the thread for this, but if you want you can test FSX in your I7 and report back, remove 2 ram sticks so you're on 4GB dual channel, set your uncore and qpi link to 16x, run some benchmarks and let us know what you see

I am fully confused!:Worried: I am going to upgrade from 285GTX to 580GTX based of Stephen professional reports and benchmark. I have core i7 @3.8Ghz. But some posts here don’t confirm this upgrade.RegardsBob

Guest veeray
This is not the thread for this, but if you want you can test FSX in your I7 and report back, remove 2 ram sticks so you're on 4GB dual channel, set your uncore and qpi link to 16x, run some benchmarks and let us know what you see
Report back to you.. ok Professor..... why don't you just go buy the 580 and prove these benchmarks wrong. And even if I did remove all my ram sticks I'd still have 2x Memory bandwidth than an i5.

What is this supposed to mean?

And even if I did remove all my ram sticks I'd still have 2x Memory bandwidth than an i5.
Run Maxxmem and post a screenshot with CPU-Z (CPU & memory tabs). We'll see how much more memory bandwidth you have there. Run the tests or shut up

Guest veeray

Anyways I love it when forum members quote second hand information... you can always tell.

I am fully confused!:Worried: I am going to upgrade from 285GTX to 580GTX based of Stephen professional reports and benchmark. I have core i7 @3.8Ghz. But some posts here don’t confirm this upgrade.RegardsBob
Hey Bob,The value of a card like the GTX 580 is really determined by the resolution and graphics/FSAA settings you intend to run.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Also keep in mind that you will only see good improvements if your cpu is really fast.Otherwise that will be your bottleneck and a faster graphics card will not make much of a difference.Myself, I am wondering if it would be usefull to upgrade.What do you guys think ?....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

OK , Finally my EVGA 580GTX SC received , preliminary tests result on my current CPU speed (Corei7@3.7Ghz) was not excited, this is my 2 little scenarios:PMDG 748 on VC ,EDDF, weather Thunderstorm, 12:00Local time (Aerosoft+GEX+REX+UTX):285GTX: 19580GTX: 22PMDG 748 on VC ,KJFK , weather Thunderstorm, 00:00Local time (FSDT+GEX+REX+UTX):285GTX:14580GTX:16285 had Bufferpools/RejectThreshold tweaks and 580GTX just hast “Highmemfix”.I have not any idea about smoothing, not compare it yet.But I love my new card :rolleyes: RegardsBob

OK , Finally my EVGA 580GTX SC received , preliminary tests result on my current CPU speed (Corei7@3.7Ghz) was not excited, this is my 2 little scenarios:PMDG 748 on VC ,EDDF, weather Thunderstorm, 12:00Local time (Aerosoft+GEX+REX+UTX):285GTX: 19580GTX: 22PMDG 748 on VC ,KJFK , weather Thunderstorm, 00:00Local time (FSDT+GEX+REX+UTX):285GTX:14580GTX:16285 had Bufferpools/RejectThreshold tweaks and 580GTX just hast “Highmemfix”.I have not any idea about smoothing, not compare it yet.But I love my new card :rolleyes: RegardsBob
After adding BP=0 here is new results:PMDG 748 on VC ,EDDF, weather Thunderstorm, 12:00Local time (Aerosoft+GEX+REX+UTX):285GTX: 19580GTX: 27PMDG 748 on VC ,KJFK , weather Thunderstorm, 00:00Local time (FSDT+GEX+REX+UTX):285GTX:14580GTX:17I think this is wrong topic for my post so I will repost it on "Replying to GTX 580 Thread! Opinions? Reports?" topic.Regrads