Microsoft's Flighty Xperiment was born a Cretin from day one. Rather than opt for fancy radical and expensive DNA therapy they chose to fire the gynocoligist instead and rely on the Intel / AMD / Nvidea widwives to apply various balms and potions to fix an incurable ailment. Unfortunalty all of their mechinations proved lacking and far too littlle and far too late. Now big mama has gone for "in vitro" with the hope that the newborn hasn't inherited the same gene pool as it's sibling....we can only wish.

Guest freebird77
Microsoft's Flighty Xperiment was born a Cretin from day one. Rather than opt for fancy radical and expensive DNA therapy they chose to fire the gynocoligist instead and rely on the Intel / AMD / Nvidea widwives to apply various balms and potions to fix an incurable ailment. Unfortunalty all of their mechinations proved lacking and far too littlle and far too late. Now big mama has gone for "in vitro" with the hope that the newborn hasn't inherited the same gene pool as it's sibling....we can only wish.
Trew, but then grey hanible voltage eaters are power to the tick as running with the clock as it flies before it dies and who does cast the shadow before it turns if enabled? AMD/Intel/NV the conspiritors of the pixel pushers, whos grasp we lie in, to wait to clutch the thrust button and then voltage wreak and havoc tweak what time is left and for what? The little late lacky? DNA of a seventh son is does what Flight does not, only we can hope.

Ferd, is that you?

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

Stephen, With your permission I make this thread a sticky.It's IMO the best hardwre review we've had the pleasure to read for long. <_<

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Stephen, With your permission I make this thread a sticky.It's IMO the best hardwre review we've had the pleasure to read for long. <_<
That would be an honor sir. Thank you.Kind regards,

Stephen, would it really pay off for me to get GTX580 over my 285, you think? I think you used to own a 285, right? Seriously, the cost for me for getting one is high... I have to get the water cooler too - additional 100€. My case is built with one output fan and that's it. All my components are watercooled. That is why I'm a bit holding off...

If you are going to get a 580 that you intend water cooling I recommend you get the EVGA 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2, its an awesome card for the money its already got a full card water block on it and it comes with a 10 year guarantee. I've just upgraded from a Asus ENGTX 285 to the 580 FTW and the difference is actually staggering even in FSX and in other games its a dream. I've just installed a custom water cooling loop with the CPU and GPU in it. The 580 FTW temperature never goes over 41C even with my i7 920@4GHZ and the temperature of the 920 has dropped from 75C to a maximum of 63C. I have a XSPC RX360 Radiator with 3 Akasa Apache fans pulling air through the radiator in a Corsair 800D case. The CPU block is an EK Supreme HF Full Nickle and a Laing D5 pump. I wish I'd gone over to water cooling years ago the silence is golden, not having to hear a GPU fan going crazy is heaven.

Cheers, Andy.

Stephen, would it really pay off for me to get GTX580 over my 285, you think? I think you used to own a 285, right? Seriously, the cost for me for getting one is high... I have to get the water cooler too - additional 100€. My case is built with one output fan and that's it. All my components are watercooled. That is why I'm a bit holding off...
Hi Word Not Allowed,I think it would. Your CPU processes data just about as fast as the i7 930 did in the tests so it is likely that you would attain similiar results. There really is a big performance jump from a 285 GTX to a 580 GTX. Do you really have to water cool it? I don't hear mine when it is running wide open and it does not get hot at all. Mind you I have EVGA's backplate and flow through exhaust that really seems to help.Kind regards,

Hi Word Not Allowed,I think it would. Your CPU processes data just about as fast as the i7 930 did in the tests so it is likely that you would attain similiar results. There really is a big performance jump from a 285 GTX to a 580 GTX. Do you really have to water cool it? I don't hear mine when it is running wide open and it does not get hot at all. Mind you I have EVGA's backplate and flow through exhaust that really seems to help.Kind regards,
Yeah, I actually do need watercooling setup, as Andy said, for me, silence is golden. You don't know what you have with watercooling until you are used to it. I have 4 HDDs, and all I hear from my computer is a very silent hum. Basically just a little noise that comes from the pump, PSU and fans on the watercooler. When I clean them, it's even less...I'd probably get aftermarket cooler, and build it myself. EVGA actually provides guarantee on that, if done properly.But yeah, been thinking about the GTX580 really hard. Does AA have less impact on performance on GTX580 compared to GTX285? Or let me put it like this: I would wish to run 8xQ in Nvidia Inspector, my 285 doesn't really do well there. In clouds I get terrible performance. Would 580 eat through that?And also, overclocked cards vs. normal ones, does it really make a big difference? I mean, difference in price is about 200€ for a Hydrocopper, and I gotta persuade also my finance-missus, can't go buying stuff around as I wish :biggrin:

Buying a water block for the 580 is going to cost you at least €100+ more anyway, and it won't be a true full cover block like the Hydro Copper either, then it's another €35 for the back plate which is already included too. Oh yes and it's a single slot card aswell, if you want to replicate that it's probably another €5 if you can even buy a single slot bracket. Finally there is the time saved faffing about removing the air cooler and cleaning off the TIM and replacing it etc.

Cheers, Andy.

I don't mind the work. Actually enjoy it :)See here: http://www.watercool.at/shop/de/Watercool-HEATKILLER-GPU-X-GTX580-Hole-Edition1..html?x4b1f1=sgf224u2cut3tdtolcqhcdgp40Postage is 5€.Do I need a backplate? Never had it really...You are right about the slot though. I would have to see if it fits with the double or get a single one.But still, way under 680€ what FTW HC costs.

You don't need a back plate anymore than you need a water block but it does help cool the rear of the card a little, not to mention it looks nicer too, shame the same can't be said of the block you linked to :Just Kidding:I worked the prices out here in the UK and I would have saved about £50 if I'd done it all myself, it really wasn't worth the bother to me. I also think the all enclosed Swiftech block looks gorgeous on the FTW.

Cheers, Andy.

Swiftech is really good, I have it on my CPU. It cools down the CPU much better than my "old" NexXxos by Alphacool. But tell you the truth - I couldn't care less about the looks - my PC has a window, but it's under the table and the only time I look at it is when I exchange water. I used to have really cool case lighting, but I removed it all, since I really bothered me after some time - since then, I just care about silence and performance.

But yeah, been thinking about the GTX580 really hard. Does AA have less impact on performance on GTX580 compared to GTX285? Or let me put it like this: I would wish to run 8xQ in Nvidia Inspector, my 285 doesn't really do well there. In clouds I get terrible performance. Would 580 eat through that?And also, overclocked cards vs. normal ones, does it really make a big difference? I mean, difference in price is about 200€ for a Hydrocopper, and I gotta persuade also my finance-missus, can't go buying stuff around as I wish :biggrin:
I'm also considering the upgrade, but to a 570 if it can cope with FSAA 8xSQ in clouds with no performance hit (anyone?). I would think the 580 won't have any problem there, but better wait for someone who owns the card to confirm that