Stephen, would it really pay off for me to get GTX580 over my 285, you think? I think you used to own a 285, right? Seriously, the cost for me for getting one is high... I have to get the water cooler too - additional 100€. My case is built with one output fan and that's it. All my components are watercooled. That is why I'm a bit holding off...
My GTX 480 far outperforms my 285 GTX with regards to performance with FSAA cranked. Higher FSAA levels don't seem to really affect FPS that much with the GTX 480. I would imagine the GTX 580 would be even better in this regard. I am running a 30" panel though so your mileage may vary.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Just gotten 3D vision I am also hungry for a GTX 580 mainly. I just reinstalled XP and run all stock except for the Realair Spitfire XIV and still have to make quite some sacrifices on my 3,6 gig Core 2 Duo/8800 GTX system. Hope a jump from 8800 GTX will help some even the bigger jump will be for other games? I have the option of going with that and use my MCW80 waterblock which miracurously is compatible with the 5 series or skip it entirely. Now this waterblock doesn´t cool the memory does it run hot and need active cooling? My 8800 GTX have done quite well without cooling on them. Of course don´t get any stellar overclock results but they do 1080 on my 8800 GTX stable. Over that you are pushing your luck depending on game.I am hoping the GTX 580 will have sufficient performance I will seldom be inclined to overclock it for my 1920x1080 stereo3D gamingAnother option is the 460 series in SLI for example which generally perform a bit better and is a bit cheaper. But only 1 gig of video RAM may be a bit little when you run 2x1920x1080 resolutions? the Radeons do benefit in several tests by having 2 gig over 1,5 of the nvidias equivalents. Also afraid of the noise levels of the 460/480 series)except for my 850 silverstone Zeus maybe stressed by it in conjunction to my overclocked CPU, memory and all my harddrives. Most of my research points to the 580 being the most painfree upgrade unless I need to find some special cooling solution for the memory modules.

Just gotten 3D vision I am also hungry for a GTX 580 mainly. I just reinstalled XP and run all stock except for the Realair Spitfire XIV and still have to make quite some sacrifices on my 3,6 gig Core 2 Duo/8800 GTX system. Hope a jump from 8800 GTX will help some even the bigger jump will be for other games? I have the option of going with that and use my MCW80 waterblock which miracurously is compatible with the 5 series or skip it entirely. Now this waterblock doesn´t cool the memory does it run hot and need active cooling? My 8800 GTX have done quite well without cooling on them. Of course don´t get any stellar overclock results but they do 1080 on my 8800 GTX stable. Over that you are pushing your luck depending on game.I am hoping the GTX 580 will have sufficient performance I will seldom be inclined to overclock it for my 1920x1080 stereo3D gamingAnother option is the 460 series in SLI for example which generally perform a bit better and is a bit cheaper. But only 1 gig of video RAM may be a bit little when you run 2x1920x1080 resolutions? the Radeons do benefit in several tests by having 2 gig over 1,5 of the nvidias equivalents. Also afraid of the noise levels of the 460/480 series)except for my 850 silverstone Zeus maybe stressed by it in conjunction to my overclocked CPU, memory and all my harddrives. Most of my research points to the 580 being the most painfree upgrade unless I need to find some special cooling solution for the memory modules.
So did you buy a card yet? If so, which one and how does it work with 3D?Kind regards,

I already have an i5 build, but have decided to move up a little and go for the 2600K, as well as getting the GTX 580.I must have either missed it in your post, or you haven't mentioned it, but what is the memory on your 580? 1.5GB?I notice in your signature also you have 8GB of RAM, does the 2600K not use tri channel? Cheers

Matt Davies

Founder/CEO - Mettar Simulations

=====
Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) available here: https://www.simtweaks.com
projectFLY - one of the most used virtual aviation platforms (now with GLOBAL schedules):  https://www.projectfly.co.uk

I already have an i5 build, but have decided to move up a little and go for the 2600K, as well as getting the GTX 580.I must have either missed it in your post, or you haven't mentioned it, but what is the memory on your 580? 1.5GB?I notice in your signature also you have 8GB of RAM, does the 2600K not use tri channel? Cheers
No, the new socket 115 Sandy Bridges are dual channel chips :)

You just saved me from making a massive mistake, RE Ram! Thank you :biggrin:

Matt Davies

Founder/CEO - Mettar Simulations

=====
Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) available here: https://www.simtweaks.com
projectFLY - one of the most used virtual aviation platforms (now with GLOBAL schedules):  https://www.projectfly.co.uk

The 580 GTX with a 5.0GHz 2600K runs over 47 FPS in the FSXMark11 bench test. I am not sure how much comes because of the GPU, but it surely is not a bottleneck.Kind regards,

- and how is the performance in "actual not benching FSX situation"?BTW, may I be so frank and ask of your CPU voltage @ 5.0 Ghz. ?

- and how is the performance in "actual not benching FSX situation"?BTW, may I be so frank and ask of your CPU voltage @ 5.0 Ghz. ?
Hi, the combination of equipment and speed works very well in FSX. My vcore is 1.42 at 5.0 GHz.Kind regards,

@Stephen, I would like to order a new system with exactly the same components as you (unless you advise otherwise). I don't see which CPU cooler you have in your sig. I might like to try to get the memory chips (2133) that HLJames has. Have you seen any FSXMark11 type results that would portray the difference if a 570 were used instead of a 580? Thanks much!!Dave

Hi, the combination of equipment and speed works very well in FSX. My vcore is 1.42 at 5.0 GHz.Kind regards,

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Guest foibles
Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:25 PM OK , Finally my EVGA 580GTX SC received , preliminary tests result on my current CPU speed (Corei7@3.7Ghz) was not excited, this is my 2 little scenarios...After adding BP=0 here is new results:PMDG 748 on VC ,EDDF, weather Thunderstorm, 12:00Local time (Aerosoft+GEX+REX+UTX):285GTX: 19580GTX: 27PMDG 748 on VC ,KJFK , weather Thunderstorm, 00:00Local time (FSDT+GEX+REX+UTX):285GTX:14580GTX:17
I've been considering an upgrade from 285 to 580.But that 14 to only 17 seems way too underwhelming, considering the cost of the card, the increased noise, and the fact that FS11 is (hopefully) not too far off.What are the other components in your system, B748?

I've been considering an upgrade from 285 to 580.But that 14 to only 17 seems way too underwhelming, considering the cost of the card, the increased noise, and the fact that FS11 is (hopefully) not too far off.What are the other components in your system, B748?
The difference in FSX performance between a 285GTX and a 580 GTX in a compatible system is a whole lot greater than that. There is not much, if any, sound difference either.Kind regards,
@Stephen, I would like to order a new system with exactly the same components as you (unless you advise otherwise). I don't see which CPU cooler you have in your sig. I might like to try to get the memory chips (2133) that HLJames has. Have you seen any FSXMark11 type results that would portray the difference if a 570 were used instead of a 580? Thanks much!!Dave
Hi Dave,I have a prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B heatsink with a push-pull arrangement that keeps everything very cool. I did not test the 570 GTX so can not verify whether or not it will perform near enough to the 580 GTX to warrant the cost savings involved. All I can do is recommend the 580GTX as it is the better of the two cards.Kind regards,

Guest foibles
The difference in FSX performance between a 285GTX and a 580 GTX in a compatible system is a whole lot greater than that. There is not much, if any, sound difference either.
Quite right, regarding the noise. My error (I was thinking of a different GPU).http://www.guru3d.co...tx-580-review/8

Sorry for delay , my CPU is Corei7 930 on 3.9GHz , tripple channel 6GB RAM Bus1600

You are right Pierre, the data means the same insofar as comparative performance, but Sydney and Jandacot were misnamed for each other in the graph. Good catch!Thanks,Kind regards,
If I can be even Pickier, so late in the peace! Raised%20Eyebrow.gif Jandacot is spelled JANDAKOT - sorry... I live here so just had to set the record straight there.Fantastic review btw.... I'll need to go rob a bank to afford the damn card though Straight%20Face.gif DavidPerth, West Oz.

David Stewart, Dianella, Western Australia.

New PC coming one day! | In the meantime I fly with; AMD X64 1.2Ghz Dual Core | 6Gb Ram | 6600GT | Old case | FSX | REX | Superbug FA-18F | Capt Sim 767 | ORBX Aust Scenery |

Jandakot | PC12 & numerous others.