Sign in to follow this  
Cirrus22

MD-11 VOR Course on ND

Hi all,It's always struck me that radial lines drawn on the ND (as a result of having selected a freq/crs on the NAV RAD page) don't actually match up with the VOR bearing/radial selected.fsx2010-12-1120-26-08-27.jpgIn the above image, course selected for the GQE VOR is 135, and the aircraft is tracking that radial. You can see that I'm a fair way off the dashed line. If you were to switch the ND to VOR mode at that point, you'd see a centered CDI. The aircraft is correcting a little to the left to maintain it, but it was bang on the radial at the time of taking that screenshot.Might it be that the line is drawn for a different magnetic variation than the VOR itself is calibrated for? I think I remember reading that VOR's are only updated for magvar once every 5 years - that'd be a heck of a change for only 5 years! That said, might the FSX VOR database be old enough that such a change could have occurred? The 135 radial is meant to intersect the waypoint BUDEE. It's a bit of a mystery to me, so if anyone could shed some light on the discrepancy I'd appreciate it!Thanks
Nick,What I have done in the mean time regarding this thread.With the help of programmes and very well documented warnings on the site mentioned above:- Updated the default FSX MagVar.- Applied the updated MagVar to the scenery area's around KMEM and other areas on the globe.Not expecting an update on FSX, doing it this way, at least solved my question why the VOR needles are only indicating right to the station on the ND when coming in very close to that station.What it did not change is the dotted line GQE radial 137 ending over BUDEE.What does work correctly now is that VOR Tracking is consistent between the ND MAP dotted radial line and the ND VOR presentation.FIG1Dotted magenta line is Radial 137 from GQESolid magenta line is the Primary Fligtplan made with nativ FSX Flightplanner (is FSdatabase).Needs course 139 accoding FMS.Dotted blue line is the en-route selected arrival for KMEM 09 ILS in the Secondary Flightplan (Airac data).Needs course 141 according FMSHere a picture crossing the centerline RW09.FIG2As Ryan already indicated the differences between the FSdatabase and the real world data can not be solved.At least I'm happy that VOR needle indication is correct now and VOR Track mode works as in real life.Regards,Harry

Lookup BUDEE at airnav.com and I make a gentleman's wager that it doensn't like directly on the 135 radial. An approach chart may indicate a heading of 135 from GQE to the fix but that doesn't imply that the fix lies on the 135 radial. Tricky distinction.

Dan Downs KCRP

Might not be a factor here, but your weather does seem to be bouncing around a bit. When trying to understand things like this it might be better to disable weather first. Remember - Heading is where you are pointing, Track is where you are going. The two are not the same and the more wind you have, the more different they become.

Might not be a factor here, but your weather does seem to be bouncing around a bit. When trying to understand things like this it might be better to disable weather first. Remember - Heading is where you are pointing, Track is where you are going. The two are not the same and the more wind you have, the more different they become.
Paul,While I reinitiated this thread, yes I'm very familiary to this aircraft.Wind and track does not confuse me.Regards,Harry

In my post #16 above, the links to some pictures are not working anymore.In the mean time Ryan - Pinned- an item in the General Forum that is strongly related to the problem that Nick (AoA) started.ie- Magnetic variation updates for FS9 and FSX -Updating the VOR's as well to the present values makes the ND look much more like real world, something that PMDG aircraft deserve.Here the missing pictures, so you can compare the differences.FIG1FIG2Regards,Harry