Sign in to follow this  
captainklm

Stall

Hi,When I do long haul flights e.g sydney to LA during the cruise I stall. I load the jet up to it Maximum weight with PAX cargo and fuel. The climb is slow and when the plane cruises it pitches up to 10 degrees, stays like that then stalls. How can I stop that from happening because Im all about long haul. Thanks,Joe Barton

Hi,When I do long haul flights e.g sydney to LA during the cruise I stall. I load the jet up to it Maximum weight with PAX cargo and fuel. The climb is slow and when the plane cruises it pitches up to 10 degrees, stays like that then stalls. How can I stop that from happening because Im all about long haul. Thanks,Joe Barton
Hi Joe,You cant just load the aircraft with max fuel and pax, that wont work in the real world or FS. Your trips need carefull planning eg optimum flight level and fuel required for the trip. You also need to follow step climb procedures.Regards

Rob Prest

I don't understand the purpose of buying an in-depth simulation (an expensive one at that) and not taking the time to understand how to properly fly it, but I'll explain further what has already been explained.Consider the plane as a box. You can fill it full of passengers or you can fill it full of fuel, but not both, because anything more than 100% will spill over the sides. Because of this, if you carry a full fuel load, you cannot carry full passengers. If you carry full passengers, you cannot carry full fuel. Beyond that, you should only carry enough fuel to meet the requirements of the trip. Get a fuel planner from anywhere online. Furthermore, you're rarely going to carry full passengers. It'd take a marketing genius and a re-invented airline to get pricing schemes good enough to actually fill a plane from the start. Most of the time, a full plane means they downgraded the plane or bumped passengers from an earlier flight. Additionally, you're going to leave seats open because you're going to take fuel before you take passengers, most of the time (if you can't get to the destination because you don't have enough fuel you lose more money than if you leave a few passengers behind).Just as explained above, you will never load full pax and fuel. It will never happen. There are limitations on MAX ZFW (max load before fuel), MAX TOW (max takeoff weight) and MAX LDW (max landing weight). Filling your aircraft to the max on both passengers and fuel, you're guaranteed to break all of those max weights. This leads to unsafe flight conditions (as you see with stalls - the plane is too heavy to fly safely), and unnecessary stress on flight components (higher thrust because of the high weight, stress on the landing gear which is rated only up to certain weights, etc).As mentioned above, you must also cruise at the optimum (or acceptable/less than MAX) altitudes as calculated by the FMC. You can't expect an aircraft loaded to the max weights to be able to haul itself into thinner air, as if it were light.Take time to learn and understand the aircraft and it will be a much more rewarding experience. If you prefer load-up-and-jet-out, the default aircraft are built for just that. I mean that in the nicest of ways. The PMDG 744 is modeled after the actual 744. You can't just jump in a 744 and haul off without the proper calculations and precautions, you can't with this sim, either.

Kyle Rodgers

I don't understand the purpose of buying an in-depth simulation (an expensive one at that) and not taking the time to understand how to properly fly it, but I'll explain further what has already been explained.Consider the plane as a box. You can fill it full of passengers or you can fill it full of fuel, but not both, because anything more than 100% will spill over the sides. Because of this, if you carry a full fuel load, you cannot carry full passengers. If you carry full passengers, you cannot carry full fuel. Beyond that, you should only carry enough fuel to meet the requirements of the trip. Get a fuel planner from anywhere online. Furthermore, you're rarely going to carry full passengers. It'd take a marketing genius and a re-invented airline to get pricing schemes good enough to actually fill a plane from the start. Most of the time, a full plane means they downgraded the plane or bumped passengers from an earlier flight. Additionally, you're going to leave seats open because you're going to take fuel before you take passengers, most of the time (if you can't get to the destination because you don't have enough fuel you lose more money than if you leave a few passengers behind).Just as explained above, you will never load full pax and fuel. It will never happen. There are limitations on MAX ZFW (max load before fuel), MAX TOW (max takeoff weight) and MAX LDW (max landing weight). Filling your aircraft to the max on both passengers and fuel, you're guaranteed to break all of those max weights. This leads to unsafe flight conditions (as you see with stalls - the plane is too heavy to fly safely), and unnecessary stress on flight components (higher thrust because of the high weight, stress on the landing gear which is rated only up to certain weights, etc).As mentioned above, you must also cruise at the optimum (or acceptable/less than MAX) altitudes as calculated by the FMC. You can't expect an aircraft loaded to the max weights to be able to haul itself into thinner air, as if it were light.Take time to learn and understand the aircraft and it will be a much more rewarding experience. If you prefer load-up-and-jet-out, the default aircraft are built for just that. I mean that in the nicest of ways. The PMDG 744 is modeled after the actual 744. You can't just jump in a 744 and haul off without the proper calculations and precautions, you can't with this sim, either.
Kyle is right. This is not the default 744. It will really be worth your time to get to know how the aircraft works, and how airlines work as well. MSFSX is a great program, but the default aircraft are pretty much bunk. This is why we tend to purchase add ons that are more expensive than FSX is worth. PMDG is in "my" opinion the top of the list. The down fall to them.......you cant just get up and go, your going to need to take some time to understand the aircraft, how it works, what this and that do, and what this and that effect if I do something that doesn't, or wont, actually happen in real life. Sure you can set the thing on a runway, take off fly around, and land, with no knowledge of the aircraft. But to actually fly long haul routes when weight, fuel, and outside conditions are absolutely essential, its good to know what you are doing. Sure with the Microsoft 747 you can just hit ctrl+e and get the thing started......or start it with their instructions......but its not real....hell the APU isn't even really correctly modeled and ground power.....HA. You paid good money to get the PMDG 744, don't waste that money by trying to fly the think like the default piece of garbage. Trust me, the money spend is worth it..........when you know what you are doing. The plane comes with 12 chapters with a MASSIVE amount of in depth information at your finger tips, I suggest you take some time out to get to know that information, and I promise you.......you wont be disappointed. Now that being said, I am in NO way trying to insult you in the least bit. So please, take no offense. If there is any, and I mean ANY question what so ever, that you have regarding the 744.....please do not hesitate to ask. I have studied these manuals and researched how the 744 operates, how airlines run their flights, routes, etc. I will help you with any question you have, and if I can not help, I promise you with 100% certainty, there is someone on this forum that can.Have a good day, and read up on some stuff.....you'll be amazed at what you can and will learn.

Now that being said, I am in NO way trying to insult you in the least bit. So please, take no offense. If there is any, and I mean ANY question what so ever, that you have regarding the 744.....please do not hesitate to ask. I have studied these manuals and researched how the 744 operates, how airlines run their flights, routes, etc. I will help you with any question you have, and if I can not help, I promise you with 100% certainty, there is someone on this forum that can.Have a good day, and read up on some stuff.....you'll be amazed at what you can and will learn.
Agreed and seconded. If you have questions, please continue to ask here or through PM. We're all here to help, even if we are somewhat initially confused by another user's thought process or way about things. If my above post came off as critical, I apologize. I'm hoping the time I took to write out my explanation of the concepts dispels the thought, however.

Kyle Rodgers

Agreed and seconded. If you have questions, please continue to ask here or through PM. We're all here to help, even if we are somewhat initially confused by another user's thought process or way about things. If my above post came off as critical, I apologize. I'm hoping the time I took to write out my explanation of the concepts dispels the thought, however.
Thanks, Has a real 747 flown with full fuel? How about United airlines from chicago to hong kong? That carries a lot of people and fuel.

http://www.boeing.co...df/747_perf.pdfCheck out this site its is the official Boeing site. The maximum range with a 747at 100% capacity is 7,285 nmi.........KORD TO VHHH is 7,786 nmi (http://travel.united...ngPageFlag=true ). unless united is flying the 747-400ER (and I dont know if they do or not) might be able to do it becasue their max FULL weight is 7,585 nmi, but the ER isn't modeled in the 747-400X