Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

An FMC app for iPad?

Even though I have no idea when it'll actually be released, the recent flurry of PMDG 737NG screenies has got me thinking about learning a complex airliner again. There are some really interesting developments happening with mobile device WiFi-enabled controls lately, including a moving map (http://itunes.apple....d379872511?mt=8), and touchscreen-based avionics like AirTrack (http://air.ipobjects...rack/airtrack21). These apps got me to thinking... how cool would it be to have an FMC app specifically for iPad? The device is the right size and shape, and it would even be a touchscreen! No doubt it would be a bit of work, but a realistic FMC that ran on iPad and communicated with a PMDG-level aircraft would be unbelievably cool. I have no idea if anything like this is in the works, but it seems to me it'd be a huge hit if so. I don't even own an iPad at the moment, but an app like that would push me over the edge, I think.Just thinking, nothing more. Batting%20Eyelashes.gif

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Even though I have no idea when it'll actually be released, the recent flurry of PMDG 737NG screenies has got me thinking about learning a complex airliner again. There are some really interesting developments happening with mobile device WiFi-enabled controls lately, including a moving map (http://itunes.apple....d379872511?mt=8), and touchscreen-based avionics like AirTrack (http://air.ipobjects...rack/airtrack21). These apps got me to thinking... how cool would it be to have an FMC app specifically for iPad? The device is the right size and shape, and it would even be a touchscreen! No doubt it would be a bit of work, but a realistic FMC that ran on iPad and communicated with a PMDG-level aircraft would be unbelievably cool. I have no idea if anything like this is in the works, but it seems to me it'd be a huge hit if so. I don't even own an iPad at the moment, but an app like that would push me over the edge, I think.Just thinking, nothing more. Batting%20Eyelashes.gifAs a very recent ipad convert for rw usage "airtrack" seems to work great for rw plus xplane and packs a heck of a lot value for the price.Also using Fwwidgets igmaphd for moving maps with fsx-works great.Seems like what you are requesting would be childs play for these developers and only a matter of time... As a long time efb user (since the late 90's) a program called "beacon" pushed me over the edge for the ipad.. (I also use foreflight).The competition is going great guns-all to our benefit.I'd go over the edge-though at this point you may want to wait for the ipad II shortly to be released...

They are already using this from what I've seen with the IFLY version of the 737 if you can access the registered members forum.http://ifly.flight1.net/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=569&title=ipad-for-an-fmcLooks pretty good if only I had an IPAD. You would need the Air Display app over your wireless network.Sean

Sean Green

I'm also using airDisplay, Just drag any undocked avionics or program (EFB, SimTouch).In fact I would need more iPads!!An USB little touchscreen like Lilliput or Mimo would do the job cheaper.RV

Even though I have no idea when it'll actually be released, the recent flurry of PMDG 737NG screenies has got me thinking about learning a complex airliner again. There are some really interesting developments happening with mobile device WiFi-enabled controls lately, including a moving map (http://itunes.apple....d379872511?mt=8), and touchscreen-based avionics like AirTrack (http://air.ipobjects...rack/airtrack21). These apps got me to thinking... how cool would it be to have an FMC app specifically for iPad? The device is the right size and shape, and it would even be a touchscreen! No doubt it would be a bit of work, but a realistic FMC that ran on iPad and communicated with a PMDG-level aircraft would be unbelievably cool. I have no idea if anything like this is in the works, but it seems to me it'd be a huge hit if so. I don't even own an iPad at the moment, but an app like that would push me over the edge, I think.Just thinking, nothing more. Batting%20Eyelashes.gif

I'm also using airDisplay, Just drag any undocked avionics or program (EFB, SimTouch).
Is this possible with FSX because when I try it the undocked window remains black when I drag it to the iPad, even in windowed mode.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks for the heads up on the Air Display proggie. Hoping to get my iPad within a few days to try this out. Sounds promising!

Lennart

Banner_MJC11.png

Thanks for the heads up on the Air Display proggie. Hoping to get my iPad within a few days to try this out. Sounds promising!
Remember though that at least with FS9, you have to run the sim in windowed mode in order to be able to move the fmc to the iPad using Airdisplay.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Remember though that at least with FS9, you have to run the sim in windowed mode in order to be able to move the fmc to the iPad using Airdisplay.
Thanks.Was also wondering, an app that would let you configure key presses would be nice.I found such an app called "Keymote" but that only works with OSX.

Lennart

Banner_MJC11.png

Don't forget if you can find a program that runs on the PC then you can drag it to the Air-display screen which as far as the PC OS is concerned looks just like a secondary touch screen monitor.I use Aivlasofts Electronic Flight Bag on the iPad in Air-display mainly and its almost as if it was made to work with the iPad its that good. I made a couple of suggestions to the developer for improvements to the program for use with the iPad and he had implemented them and released a new version within a couple of days, top bloke.

Cheers, Andy.

Andy, Does Air Display effect your ability to run flight sim in full screen mode? I'd like to us it for Navigraph's nDac.

NAX669.png

Its impossible to run FSX in full screen mode with Air Display, it doesn't bother me though as I never use full screen mode anyway. I've just tried it and all it does is minimise FSX as soon as you touch the iPad screen.

Cheers, Andy.

Is this possible with FSX because when I try it the undocked window remains black when I drag it to the iPad, even in windowed mode.
Andy,did you get your Ipad working or do you still have the same problem?I am seriously considering to buy an Ipad one of these days but since I will ONLY be using it in connection with Flight simulator,it would be a shame to spent that kind of money if it is not working properly...Anybody else with the same problem... anybody with solutions?All info is appreciatedLuc Brusselmans

No I haven't solved the problem and I not even sure currently if it is possible because of the way Air Display works, its OK with any programs that don't use Direct X and its shader model 3.0 system. Maybe this is why it works for FS9 because it uses an earlier shader system. I do not have FS9 anymore so I cant even confirm for myself if it does work with it.

Cheers, Andy.