Hello, Recently I purchased ASE, which seems to be a great and powerful piece of software, but as many people seem to have experienced I have also had some problems with wind shifts in aircraft such as the PMDG 744, MD-11 and Level-D 767. I have only flown a couple of flights since buying ASE (as I had to go off on holiday with no access to FS) and the weather depiction was generally fine. For avoiding the rather annoying wind shifts I purchased the registered FSUIPC for FSX and changed the FSUIPC file to what was recommended here on the forums and what was listed in the readme file, as well as modifying the FSX.cfg file by changing the turbulence scale. This seemed to help a fair bit but still didn't result in a perfect setup. - For clarification I have been using DWC on, and have been flying with all FSUIPC and ASE with the latest updates and service packs. I was wondering whether some owners of ASE, FSUIPC and FSX could recommend a perfect setup where they have no wind shift problems with aircraft designed by PMDG and Level D and also fly with some VFR GA hops. So basically I would like a setup where I have no wind shift problems, but where this doesn't affect the realism of the weather and not affecting my GA flights, as these seem to be fine. All my flights are on VATSIM so I think this adds to the reasons why my weather should be as real as possible. I have seen other topics asking about each individual piece of software, but not one that sums it all together with a recommended setup for all ASE, FSUIPC and FSX. I would be very appreciative if some users could collective create a 'perfect setup', thus avoiding wind shift and other similar problems for many people in the future. Thanks in advance, Jack

As a newcomer to ASE,I'd like an answer to this also.However.. after just a quick a quick test flight in the F1 Mustang, I had no wind shifts. Need to test more though.

As a newcomer to ASE,I'd like an answer to this also.However.. after just a quick a quick test flight in the F1 Mustang, I had no wind shifts. Need to test more though.
Yes, it does seem as though the wind shifts are only noticeable after flying for long periods of time as they don't occur throughout a flight, only intermittently. When I first got the wind shifts I was flying the PMDG 747 from EGLL->KDEN, a 10 hour flight and I experienced the wind shifts first about three hours in, and then about 9 hours in, both for periods of about 15-25 minutes. So you may have to do quite a bit of flying in the Mustang for you to experience it.

Go here http://forums.flight...fsuipc-and-fsx/I get so much better weather depiction now after following the set up in the above post. You need a reg copy of Fsuipc do reap the benefit.
I've now read through it and seen what he has recommended, although it seems that he was using DWC turned off (and using an older version of ASE), and this was primarily the recommendation for flying the FSLabs Concorde. His point listed at number three is also now a broken link and unavailable to view.nzch2010, which aircraft are you using when you are receiving "so much better weather depiction"? - And to clarify where you experiencing wind shifts problems previously to using those settings, and if so did this rectify this?Thanks for the link and input, but continued setup recommendations would be much appreciated.Thanks,Jack

Guest nzch2010

Hi Jack,Sorry for late reply, been busy with family. Even though he is not using SP2, it works for me. Before trying those settings, I was experiencing "S" turns ( DWC) and erratic wind behaviour that caused severe speed fluctuations that became intolerable. I tried the posted settings in the F1 ATR 72-500 at differnt altitudes between 14000 and FL240 with realistic weather depiction. No speed flucuation and would have to say the best it has been since active sky X in fs2004.Before I found the link, I had to use Standard Mode because of the "S" turns in DWC.. Standard mode was annoying, as in unrealistic weather, especially at destination airport. Also FSX woud stutter like mad every time an update occured, and the screen would flicker for about a minute.I have tried a number of different aircraft, from the PMDG MD11, 747X LVLD 767, ATR72, and the default Cessna, I have flown about 20,000 nm since I changed to those settings from North America, Australia and even over Siberia, and it has been consistent throughout, as in no severe wind shifts, over the top turbulence, severe speed fluctuations.One thing I did change in that posted set up was the Visibilty sliders in ASE visibility tab, foggy at most airports, even in the summer. Only for IFR fanatics.Here is my fsuipc settings:visibilityOptions=NoOneCloudLayer=NoCloudTurbulence=NoCloudIcing=NoGenerateCirrus=NoSuppressCloudTurbulence=NoMaxIce=3MinIce=-4UpperWindGusts=NoSuppressWindTurbulence=NoSuppressWindVariance=YesWindTurbulence=NoTurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40SuppressAllGusts=NoMaxSurfaceWind=0WindLimitLevel=200WindDiscardLevel=400WindAjustAltitude=NoWindAjustAltitudeBy=2000SmoothBySimTime=NoWindSmoothing=YesWindSmoothness=-4WindSmoothAirborneOnly=NoPressureSmoothness=8TemperatureSmoothness=25I did make one little change, "SuppressWindTurbulence=No" I like it to be a bit bumpy sometimes, just to remind me I'm flying a jet, not a bus.Make sure you set weather settings off first in FSUIPC, so you know you are starting with empty boxes.Hope it does work for you, I cannot see why not, unless you have something configured that I don't. One important thing, always check FSX weather is set to "User Defind"Merry XmasCheersJulian

Hi Jack,Sorry for late reply, been busy with family. Even though he is not using SP2, it works for me. Before trying those settings, I was experiencing "S" turns ( DWC) and erratic wind behaviour that caused severe speed fluctuations that became intolerable. I tried the posted settings in the F1 ATR 72-500 at differnt altitudes between 14000 and FL240 with realistic weather depiction. No speed flucuation and would have to say the best it has been since active sky X in fs2004.Before I found the link, I had to use Standard Mode because of the "S" turns in DWC.. Standard mode was annoying, as in unrealistic weather, especially at destination airport. Also FSX woud stutter like mad every time an update occured, and the screen would flicker for about a minute.I have tried a number of different aircraft, from the PMDG MD11, 747X LVLD 767, ATR72, and the default Cessna, I have flown about 20,000 nm since I changed to those settings from North America, Australia and even over Siberia, and it has been consistent throughout, as in no severe wind shifts, over the top turbulence, severe speed fluctuations.One thing I did change in that posted set up was the Visibilty sliders in ASE visibility tab, foggy at most airports, even in the summer. Only for IFR fanatics.Here is my fsuipc settings:visibilityOptions=NoOneCloudLayer=NoCloudTurbulence=NoCloudIcing=NoGenerateCirrus=NoSuppressCloudTurbulence=NoMaxIce=3MinIce=-4UpperWindGusts=NoSuppressWindTurbulence=NoSuppressWindVariance=YesWindTurbulence=NoTurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40SuppressAllGusts=NoMaxSurfaceWind=0WindLimitLevel=200WindDiscardLevel=400WindAjustAltitude=NoWindAjustAltitudeBy=2000SmoothBySimTime=NoWindSmoothing=YesWindSmoothness=-4WindSmoothAirborneOnly=NoPressureSmoothness=8TemperatureSmoothness=25I did make one little change, "SuppressWindTurbulence=No" I like it to be a bit bumpy sometimes, just to remind me I'm flying a jet, not a bus.Make sure you set weather settings off first in FSUIPC, so you know you are starting with empty boxes.Hope it does work for you, I cannot see why not, unless you have something configured that I don't. One important thing, always check FSX weather is set to "User Defind"Merry XmasCheersJulian
Hi Julian,As soon as I get back to England I'll add these settings to FSUIPC and give it a run. - Is there any chance that you could post the weather config that you have in FSX, as the screenshot of this setup is broken in the provided link.Thanks very much for taking the time to post up these settings, it is appreciated with high regard, and I hope that this can also help others in the future.Merry Christmas,Jack

Guest nzch2010

Hi Jack,Here is a better link to weather settings i have in FSX http://www.simforums.com/Forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187 scroll about a 1/3 down, you will see screen shots of the FSX settings dialouge boxes.My settings in FSX are identical to what NickN poste at Simforums.As I am hopless at screen shots, this is just as easy. So my settings are set up exactly as posted, Please let me know you results, I do hope it works for you.CheersJulian

Hi Jack,Here is a better link to weather settings i have in FSX http://www.simforums...187.html#198187 scroll about a 1/3 down, you will see screen shots of the FSX settings dialouge boxes.My settings in FSX are identical to what NickN poste at Simforums.As I am hopless at screen shots, this is just as easy. So my settings are set up exactly as posted, Please let me know you results, I do hope it works for you.CheersJulian
Thanks for that Julian, I hope that all your help will pay off in me, and hopefully others, having realistic weather with no wind shifts! - And as soon as I try it out I will let you know the result.Thanks,Jack

Hi Guys:Twas me that wrote that guide over at FSLabs. When i get back to my FSX Machine (about Feb next year sadly) i shall probably be updating that thread and fixing that screenshot (i think i may have accidentally deleted it - sorry) and i'll be revisiting with the updated ASE V2.? and seeing where i get with it. Thanks and Happy ChristmasSmiffy

Guest nzch2010
Thanks for that Julian, I hope that all your help will pay off in me, and hopefully others, having realistic weather with no wind shifts! - And as soon as I try it out I will let you know the result.Thanks,Jack
It was a pleasure Jack. It is a base to work off, and it may need is a little tweaking here and there. Certainly better than the alternative.All the bestJulian
Hi Guys:Twas me that wrote that guide over at FSLabs. When i get back to my FSX Machine (about Feb next year sadly) i shall probably be updating that thread and fixing that screenshot (i think i may have accidentally deleted it - sorry) and i'll be revisiting with the updated ASE V2.? and seeing where i get with it. Thanks and Happy ChristmasSmiffy
Merry Xmas Smiffy, and many thanks for your settings. I was about to give up on ASE SP2, and when I found your post, it made my day.Look forward to when you can re visit this, as there is always room for improvement.I am sure Jack will get better results with your settings, so here's hoping.All the bestJulian

Make sure you set weather settings off first in FSUIPC, so you know you are starting with empty boxes.
Hi Julian,I will be back home, with my FS PC in a couple of days now, so I will be able to test your recommended setup. - Just to clarify the quote above, do you mean that I should press "Weather Settings Off" in FSUIPC before I change the configuration, or before each flight?Thanks,Jack

Guest nzch2010
Hi Julian,I will be back home, with my FS PC in a couple of days now, so I will be able to test your recommended setup. - Just to clarify the quote above, do you mean that I should press "Weather Settings Off" in FSUIPC before I change the configuration, or before each flight?Thanks,Jack
Hi Jack,Don't worry about Weather Settins Off, see below. Also I noticed under certain circumstances, the PMDG 747 (all varients) still has a tendancy to "S" turn so have made a couple of changes in the FSUIPC ini posted below. You won't get a bumpy flight as in real life turbulence, but you won't get the "S" turns which are annoying to say the least. This will do till Smiffy gets back in Feburary and re visits his settings. FixMachSpeedBug=NoVisibilityOptions=NoOneCloudLayer=NoCloudTurbulence=NoCloudIcing=NoGenerateCirrus=NoSuppressCloudTurbulence=NoMaxIce=3MinIce=-4UpperWindGusts=NoSuppressWindTurbulence=YESSuppressWindVariance=YesWindTurbulence=NoTurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40SuppressAllGusts=YesMaxSurfaceWind=0WindLimitLevel=200WindDiscardLevel=400WindAjustAltitude=NoWindAjustAltitudeBy=2000SmoothBySimTime=NoWindSmoothing=YesWindSmoothness=-4WindSmoothAirborneOnly=YesPressureSmoothness=8TemperatureSmoothness=25Instead of having to navigate NickN's weather settings, here are mine. Go to the [Weather] section in your FSX cfg and overwrite with this:[Weather]AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=4DETAILED_CLOUDS=1DisableTurbulence=0DownloadWindsAloft=1DynamicWeather=2MaxGustRampSpeed=200MaxGustTime=500MaxVarRampSpeed=75MaxVarTime=50MinGustRampSpeed=1MinGustTime=10MinVarRampSpeed=10MinVarTime=5THERMAL_VISUALS=0TurbulenceScale=0.300000WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.comWeatherServerPort=80WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1You may want to adjust your cloud draw distance to your liking, I prefer 70 miles and is only a very small hit on FPSI will be hovering this forum so anything else, just let me know. Also PM me and I can give you my e-mail if that is easier.Happy New YearJulian

You won't get a bumpy flight as in real life turbulence, but you won't get the "S" turns which are annoying to say the least. This will do till Smiffy gets back in Feburary and re visits his settings.
Hi Julian,Thanks for your new config. - It's much appreaciatedI understand that this will almost certainly prevent the S turns, but will this be seeping away from realism?Also do you think that this may affect the realism of the winds when flying light GA?Happy New Year!Thanks,Jack

Guest nzch2010

Hi Jack.I should have mentioned that it is very easy to change the configuration in FSUIPC to reflect the aircraft you are flying. For example, only the PMDG 747 suffers badly from "S" turns without the above settings. The MD11 and lvld763 only suffers from this slightly, but with the effect of turbulence, the "S" turns are not noticable. In fact it bounces around at different altitudes and found realistic.As far as GA /vFR flying is concerned, they don't suffer the "S" turn problem and is just a case of going to the "Wind settings tab" in fsuipc (within fsx) and un ticking the boxes "gusts, turbulence and varience" and way you go.When flying the MD11 or LVLD767 Gusts, Varience are ticked and turbulence unticked. I have not tried Standard depiction mode again , for a number of reasons, one being I use Radar Contact and need to use DWC for destination weather. Also I found standard a pain in the B.. when weather updates occur.As for GA flying, maybe one of the settings other than DWC might be better. I am still playing around with the numbers to get the best outcome in DWC, so will let you know if I can make this even better.I will really be scratching my old head if you get different results than I am getting, Anyway, lets see where this takes us. And I will keep working on it.Happy New YearJulian