Sign in to follow this  
waleed

Question for Track IR5 Users

For those of you who have it, I have a simple question that I have not been able to answer.How do you look up, or down?What I mean is simple (I hope), since I will probably have to get it for the NGX, the Dash8, and T7. Say I want to activate tcas to above or below, if I look down with my head, I will not be able to see the monitor, so is it proportional?Do I slightly look down or up? I am sure there is a simple answer, but am unable to find it anywhere.Also, and while we are at it, should I also look into ez-dock separately, or have them work together, or not at all?Thanks for the insight.

Waleed N

All track ir head movements require very subtle movements from you to create big movements in the sim. So when you want to look down, ( or left/right or any other axis) you only have to look down a tiny bit to look at the floor. If you calibrate it correctly, you will have your monitor in front of your eyes at all times.

All track ir head movements require very subtle movements from you to create big movements in the sim. So when you want to look down, ( or left/right or any other axis) you only have to look down a tiny bit to look at the floor. If you calibrate it correctly, you will have your monitor in front of your eyes at all times.
Thanks Ethan for the quick reply. I was hoping that was it.Did Santa get back home already?

Waleed N

To add to what Ethan has said, you can easily change the sensitivity of each individual movement. The movements are split into axes, like an aircraft:Yaw: Looking to the left or rightPitch: Looking up or downRoll: Tilting your hed to the sidesX: Moving your whole head from left to right (like the x-axis on a graph)Y: Moving your whole head upwards and down (like the y-axis on a graph)Z: Moving your whole head backwards and forwards in relation to the screenThe sensitivity of each axis can be defined separately(see attatchment), however I find the "Smooth" profile works well in FSX by default. Also, each game can have a specific profile tied to it.

One of the best videos I've seen for TrackIR has been made by Dslyecxi. The video is focused on ArmA 2, but it will give you a pretty good idea of how TrackIR works as it has a picture in picture of him so you can see how his head movement translates into the game.Also keep in mind that the profiler is quite flexible and you can set the response curve to be whatever you like. e.g. I use a gentle curve with a low flat middle for FSX, while I prefer a more "aggressive" curve for IL-2. It can be suited to personal taste.

Thank you guys all for the info. The video explained it as well, so it is on my list.I fear it seems to be one of those "how could I fly without it" moments.Have a SAFE, and Happy New Year everyone.

Waleed N

Do you have to buy the clip aswell, or is everything included in the TrackIR 5 package?

I fear it seems to be one of those "how could I fly without it" moments.
Oh believe me, after you've tried it, flying without it will seem inconceivable. :)
Do you have to buy the clip aswell, or is everything included in the TrackIR 5 package?
The hat clip is included I think (it was with TrackIR 3, no reason to think that's changed). The headset clip on the other hand is sold separately or as part of a package deal. In any case it's going to cost extra.

Word of advise:Get the headset clip! The hat clip is only reflectors that reflect ir light back to the transmitter that sits on your monitor. Because it is just a reflector, I found myself always trying to get it to sit right so that the unit would pick up all three reflectors. In fact I had to keep bending the little reflectors so that they would be seen. Also if the unit picks up something more powerful than the reflectors, say your desk lamp or ceiling light, it will use that instead of the reflector. This then makes trackir confused and your view unmovable. When you get the headset clip, it actually emits light pack to the sensor, and it is so much less hassle than constantly adjusting!!

Is it possible to hotkey a "disable" function, for example while you're in cruise or want to read something without having to keep your head straight? Almost like the soft-mute function with fs2crew, if you know what i mean.

Is it possible to hotkey a "disable" function, for example while you're in cruise or want to read something without having to keep your head straight? Almost like the soft-mute function with fs2crew, if you know what i mean.
Yes. Disable and Pause. I use the hotkey assigned to pause so that I can look around my desk or what ever, and then I hit it again and I'm back in business.Edit: I think it defaults to F12 by you can change it.

TrackIR has three key commands. Enable/Disable, Center and Precision Mode Toggle. So yes, you can disable it easily.

Nice, how much would you say TrackIR improves your ability to do circuits/traffic patterns and visual approaches? Those are the things i feel using a hat-switch are most hindering, but im still a little unsure whether it will improve so much.

Also, and while we are at it, should I also look into ez-dock separately, or have them work together, or not at all?
To add an extra element of realism, ez-dok is perfect. Tricky to setup correctly but very versatile if you persevere. It also works with TrackIR - I use both and like the resonance feature of ez-dok when I land.