Sign in to follow this  
DaveH

Mission Voices Missing

Some missions I fly do not have any voice playing, although there is a sound folder with .wav files in it. Have looked at many .FLT files trying to find out where the sound files are called out, but no luck. Some are OK, some not.Can anyone familiar with Mission Maker or the mission files please direct me as to where to look for the solution to this problem ? Would Mission Maker allow for "Checking" .FLT files to see what is missing ?

Some missions I fly do not have any voice playing, although there is a sound folder with .wav files in it. Have looked at many .FLT files trying to find out where the sound files are called out, but no luck. Some are OK, some not.Can anyone familiar with Mission Maker or the mission files please direct me as to where to look for the solution to this problem ? Would Mission Maker allow for "Checking" .FLT files to see what is missing ?
1st question........ Are these the default Missions or Missions you have downloaded and added to FSX?

1st question........ Are these the default Missions or Missions you have downloaded and added to FSX?
Both - I will also mention that I saw a similar problem answered by stating that if you used a different aircraft texture than the original .FLT called for, you might have this problem. But I did change the texture on the default "Amsterdam" mission and had no problems.Thanks for your quick reply.

Both - I will also mention that I saw a similar problem answered by stating that if you used a different aircraft texture than the original .FLT called for, you might have this problem. But I did change the texture on the default "Amsterdam" mission and had no problems.Thanks for your quick reply.
I am certainly no "expert" on these matters and seldom fly Missions, but have noticed when using third party missions that I must have exactly the same aircraft installed as the FLT files calls for. In some cases I have edited the FLT file (with Notepad) and changed the aircraft successfully - but that is the limit of my experience with them.Hopefully someone with some real Missions expertise will chime in here.

The .wav files are called out by the "dialog actions" in the mission's XML file, not the .FLT file. This might explain why you didn't find them. When you fly these missions, are you sure they're loading as missions, and not free flight? When you end them, are you ending a normal, free flight or does it end like a mission?If they are indeed missions, then are you seeing the text that should appear (if the designer added the text, when the .wav file is supposed to play? If so, then the only thing I can think of is that the wav files are in the wrong folder and/or the mission itself is calling the wrong wav files.Hope this helps ... if you need more details, just let me know.Kind regards,Chris

Chris Klein - Vertical Studios

avsim_signature.jpg

The .wav files are called out by the "dialog actions" in the mission's XML file, not the .FLT file. This might explain why you didn't find them. When you fly these missions, are you sure they're loading as missions, and not free flight? When you end them, are you ending a normal, free flight or does it end like a mission?If they are indeed missions, then are you seeing the text that should appear (if the designer added the text, when the .wav file is supposed to play? If so, then the only thing I can think of is that the wav files are in the wrong folder and/or the mission itself is calling the wrong wav files.Hope this helps ... if you need more details, just let me know.Kind regards,Chris
No, these are missions called up from the "Missions" menu in FSX. Some are M$ missions, some downloaded. I have particular problems with Grumman Goose missions, probably because I changed the default panel to the OBX panel, and can't get the original panel back to check this out. This is really frustrating, and, as I said, in some missions (Amsterdam by MS) I successfully changed the texture. I always use the default aircraft in the .flt file - sometimes it works, sometimes not. I really wish I knew what was critical to keep the voice working. In an attempt to get more MS missions, I did a "repair" in FSX and really screwed up my installation - had to reinstall FSX with lots of the attendent problems :( I think that the panels have to be default, also, as parts of the .flt file list several "panel" sections. Other than this, I just don't know.Dave Hinson