Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Alternative External FPS Limiter

I just gave it a whirl, and it seems to work great. I limited my frames in the cfg file to 30, and that's where they stayed locked, even flying over downtown Portland in FTX PNW with the CS707. So far, so very good. My only problem is that I can't switch back and forth between windowed and full-screen. Once it's in windowed mode, hitting alt-enter again results in a hung black screen. I'm sure that too can be overcome with a little more tweaking and testing. Good find!

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

*******:Thanks for yet another excellent tip! I prefer this to the other limiter because you can set the buffer value and do not have to open the Java GUI each time, as you noted. I am running an ATI 4870X2 and this limiter does NOT break the vsync (of course, I do have your ForceFullScreenVSync=1 line in my fsx.cfg -- greatest tweak ever for ATI users!). The only downside is that I do get a black screen when I end the flight, as others have reported. I have to hit ESC twice to end FSX, after which I see my desktop again.Regards,Major V

Hmm.. Do you have the vSync FIX applied?
Yepp, forcing vsync in windowed mode and fullscreen mode via fsx.cfg which works fine without this limiter. Will try some more later today.This is with ATI 5870, driver 10.12. Not that I had any big issues with the classical external FPS limiter but it's always fun to play with alternatives.

Guest PFL

Thanks, always interesting with a new "toy"!A bit unstable though, black screens when shifting full/window mode, and unfortunately the ENB mod cannot work with this...I´ll keep using FPS Limiter which works perfect with my system.

Now, if you could only help me eradicate blurries when flying fast in PNW's Seattle, I'll be a happy man.
Won't happen as long as you spend all resources to produce frames which are not displayed :(

Won't happen as long as you spend all resources to produce frames which are not displayed :(
Mango,It only happens in Seattle. But, you know me. I want a solution. I'll PM you instead.Did I mention that this limiter is a great find?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

*******, thanks for this post!Could you maybe explain in more detail what the benefit of the line 'RenderAheadLimit=' is? In my graphics card settings I have set pre-rendered frames to 0, because many people said that was the way to go.

I just gave it a whirl, and it seems to work great. I limited my frames in the cfg file to 30, and that's where they stayed locked, even flying over downtown Portland in FTX PNW with the CS707. So far, so very good. My only problem is that I can't switch back and forth between windowed and full-screen. Once it's in windowed mode, hitting alt-enter again results in a hung black screen. I'm sure that too can be overcome with a little more tweaking and testing. Good find!
I have the same problem when going from full screen to windowed mode. Other than that, it works great. Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

This looks interesting. Still testing. But which value should be set in FSX, unlimited or equal to value in the limiter cfg?BjornEdit: So far values 0 and 30 with unlimited frames in FSX seem to smoothen my flight better than the other limiter. Thumbs up!

Just unzip, edit the antilag.cfg file to set your FPSLimit and place both files INSIDE your FSX root folder. No bat files or Java GUI needed. This one has a 'frames ahead' feature which can be used as a frame buffer. You can experiment with 0 (to disable frames ahead) 1 (to flush the render queue when the frame is ready) or 2 to queue a frame.http://www.kegetys.n..._antilag101.zipSource: http://www.kegetys.net/Credit goes to Keijo "Kegetys" Ruotsalainen
Hey *******, maybe I shouldnt use this. I put this in and still get a black screen around KLGA and KJFK today when I switch to FS Recorder. I also lost my enb series graphics when I remove the d3d9.dll and replace with your new one. In my event viewer folder I saw an error and in the description it mentions something about d3d9.dll, now this was last night before I put this antilag 101 in my system today. Last night I was flying to Toncontin MHTG from KDFW American Airlines QW 757 and when I went into the pull down menu and press fs recorder the screen turns black. I sent you my fsx.cfg file so you may look it over and hopefully we can figure this out. I switched to the new EVGA GTX 580 card so Im dealing with Nvidia now and not ATi or AMD. Here is a sample of my videos I produce on YouTube

Can I use this in Windows 7 64 bit?
I am with no problems except going from full screen to windowed. Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

I am with no problems except going from full screen to windowed. Bob G.
Yep, that's the case for me too.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Well, it does seem smoother than the original FPS Limiter, however I'm also experiencing the alt-enter black screen. This is happening because the .dll has to reset the d3d object (when you alt-enter a new D3D Device is created and you have to get rid of the previous reference). I saw this error happen when using my own d3d9.dll. Unfortunately, only the developer can change this, it is a minor change and I already contacted the developer about it, I even asked him about the source code for the actual frame rate limiting part so I can incorporate that in my own d3d9.dll mod, lets see.

Well, it does seem smoother than the original FPS Limiter, however I'm also experiencing the alt-enter black screen. This is happening because the .dll has to reset the d3d object (when you alt-enter a new D3D Device is created and you have to get rid of the previous reference). I saw this error happen when using my own d3d9.dll. Unfortunately, only the developer can change this, it is a minor change and I already contacted the developer about it, I even asked him about the source code for the actual frame rate limiting part so I can incorporate that in my own d3d9.dll mod, lets see.
Hopefully the developer will give you the info needed to fix it for FSX. I agree it seems a tad smoother than the Limiter. One interesting thing I noticed is that if VSYNC was off the tear effectseemed reduced somewhat. Can someone test that and see if they agree?Jim

Jim Wenham