Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Strange pause at KJFK?

At KJFK aircraft movement on the ground or in the air pauses at a consistant cycle between every one to two seconds. Happens when either in the taxi,slew, or flight modes of operation. As soon as I depart the area, the pause goes away. Frame rates are in the 40's. At any other location I have checked thus far, the problem does not appear. I am flying out of the FS Dreamteam KJFK.My only recent modifications were to add the new JustFlight Archer and newly available Dessault Falcon 50. I discovered that the pause is directly in sequence with every other flash of the beacon on the Falcon. I was not able to find any beacon switch on the panel or overhead so went into the aircraft.cfg file and disabled both beacon function lines with A "//" Prefix. Same thing. The pauses continued without the Beacon.I then changed to the default Cessna 172. Same thing, pauses in aircraft movement every one to two seconds.I then restarted FSX, went to KJFK without changing aircraft useing my default MSFS Cessna 172. Same thing.This is a new development. I have located at KJFK conuntless times in the past with no problem.Has anyone else seen this situation and if so know the solution?Thanks:RTH

At KJFK aircraft movement on the ground or in the air pauses at a consistant cycle between every one to two seconds. Happens when either in the taxi,slew, or flight modes of operation. As soon as I depart the area, the pause goes away. Frame rates are in the 40's. At any other location I have checked thus far, the problem does not appear. I am flying out of the FS Dreamteam KJFK.My only recent modifications were to add the new JustFlight Archer and newly available Dessault Falcon 50. I discovered that the pause is directly in sequence with every other flash of the beacon on the Falcon. I was not able to find any beacon switch on the panel or overhead so went into the aircraft.cfg file and disabled both beacon function lines with A "//" Prefix. Same thing. The pauses continued without the Beacon.I then changed to the default Cessna 172. Same thing, pauses in aircraft movement every one to two seconds.I then restarted FSX, went to KJFK without changing aircraft useing my default MSFS Cessna 172. Same thing.This is a new development. I have located at KJFK conuntless times in the past with no problem.Has anyone else seen this situation and if so know the solution?Thanks:RTH
Unfortunately this is a common problem with FSDT sceneries, which they say is because of the density of the scenery. I have my own theory which they deny! As such as good visibly as it is, I don't use it.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks for the prompt reply Tom.Strange:I have used this scenery ever since it came out which was quite some time ago with no problems. I agree with you that it would seem unlikely that the problem is just due to density. The cycle is awfully consistant for a density overload. I believe it could be timed with a stop watch and it would be the exact time between pauses each time. As I said, ironically it was exactly in sequence to every other beaconI flash of the Falcon 50. That is the reason I thought it was the culprit to start with, but disabling the beacon made no difference. I stongly suspect thanks to the pulse frequency that there is a common denominator somewhere, but you may be right about the scenery. I guess the next best check would be to go back to the default KJFK and be sure everything is alright there.Next I will check the other dreamteam locations and see if they have any problem. Then I will check in FS9 and see if anything is funny there.If I had to bet, I would bet that this is one of those things that will disappear (and possibly reappear again) at some future date. Hope not, they are the hardest thing to isolate.Thanks again:RTH

On another forum, Marc was kind enough to make the following suggestion:"Sounds like your JFK is over taxing your PC a bit. Try lowering your AutoGen slider one notch and see if this resolves the issue." Progressively I tried moving sliders full left one at a time, seeing if the pause was still present, and then going to the next slider, next, next etc.Finally with all sliders full left in all catagories (i.e. Graphics, Aircraft, Scenery, Weather and Traffic), and with all checkmarks removes I still had the exact same pause. Counting one-thousand one, one-thousand two, etc. I would estimate that the pauses have a freqency of exactly four seconds each.To be continued:RTH

OK, now I really am confused!First of all a couple of clarifications.I have six DreamTeam Airports: KJFK, LSZH, KORD, KLAS, LSGG, and KFLL (Intended to get the rest, but now I wonder).What motivated my original post in this thread was a flight from KJFK to EGLL in the Dassault Falcon 50. There I made the discovery of the four second pauses I complained about for aircraft movement at KJFK. The departure was at night and I was not aware of any other error, but now after another discovery in the steps below I feel sure that disappearing textures were in affect then as well for KJFK that I did not know about. Thanks to daylight I discovered that no buildings, terminals, and probably some more items were not displayed, only the jetways hanging there all by themselves in all of the FSX DT airports (All sliders full right except Mesh Resolution is 10m and Water effects are low x 2). Note also that as soon as I departed KJFK the pauses ceased and the flight went swimingly through arrival at EGLL. Also note that I have tried restarting FSX, Restarting the computer, then FSX, and every other simple thing I can think of.1. Selected each of the six DT airports listed above. All with one exception have four second pauses for aircraft movement. KFLL was smooth as silk with no such problem. However, KFLL also did not have terminal/building textures.1. Unchecked each DF airport in the FSX library to go back to the FSX defaults, shut down FSX, Restarted FSX.2. To my dismay, with MSFSX default airports for the six listed, I still had the four second pauses. However, all terminals, buildings, etc. were displayed normally.3. To see if this was unique to the DT locations or others also had the problem that I didn't know about, I decided to check some other locations. My logic was to try to find complex locations. I also chose two based on google seach locations for the next two most populated areas in Switzerland. Aircraft movement at all of the following airports was smooth with no pause, and there was no other problem relative to display: KATL, KLAX, KBOS, KSLC, KIAD, KIAH, KSFO, KFTW, EGLL, LLBG, LSZB, and LSGL.4. Shut down FSX and cranked up FS9. Aircraft movement at all six of the DreamTeam locations in question were smooth as could be with no pauses and textures were outstanding.One question is whether there is something wrong elsewhere affecting aircraft movement at these particular airports, both default and DreamTeam. This would seem to be unlikely as implications are that the problem is unique to these six airports.The obvious counter question is whether the DreamTeam Airports are the culprit and something remains even after they are deselected in the library, which does seem likely. Deleting them from the library is an option but I don't know what this would accomplish that unchecking them doesn't. I guess reinstalling then would also be an option, but even if that works it would not explain what has happened.I am sorry in one way, and glad in another that Tom confirmed that other folk have seen this happen. ("this is a common problem with FSDT sceneries" ). I just wish DreamTeam had a solution for I think they are outstanding contributions and I have enjoyed their use for longer than I realized. I see that my downloads were in 2008 and 2009. I will continue to enjoy them in FS9, but the minimum solution will be to get the defaults back on track in FSX. The max is the hope that the DT installations can be included in the solution.Thanks for humoring me if you suffered through reading this.RTHEdit: Just tried KEWR in order to peek at an airport very near one of the problem locations (KJFK). Smooth as could be with no problems. Seems that the problem is isolated very nearly within the airport boundaries of the six trouble spots.

OK, now I really am confused!First of all a couple of clarifications.I have six DreamTeam Airports: KJFK, LSZH, KORD, KLAS, LSGG, and KFLL (Intended to get the rest, but now I wonder).What motivated my original post in this thread was a flight from KJFK to EGLL in the Dassault Falcon 50. There I made the discovery of the four second pauses I complained about for aircraft movement at KJFK. The departure was at night and I was not aware of any other error, but now after another discovery in the steps below I feel sure that disappearing textures were in affect then as well for KJFK that I did not know about. Thanks to daylight I discovered that no buildings, terminals, and probably some more items were not displayed, only the jetways hanging there all by themselves in all of the FSX DT airports (All sliders full right except Mesh Resolution is 10m and Water effects are low x 2). Note also that as soon as I departed KJFK the pauses ceased and the flight went swimingly through arrival at EGLL. Also note that I have tried restarting FSX, Restarting the computer, then FSX, and every other simple thing I can think of.1. Selected each of the six DT airports listed above. All with one exception have four second pauses for aircraft movement. KFLL was smooth as silk with no such problem. However, KFLL also did not have terminal/building textures.1. Unchecked each DF airport in the FSX library to go back to the FSX defaults, shut down FSX, Restarted FSX.2. To my dismay, with MSFSX default airports for the six listed, I still had the four second pauses. However, all terminals, buildings, etc. were displayed normally.3. To see if this was unique to the DT locations or others also had the problem that I didn't know about, I decided to check some other locations. My logic was to try to find complex locations. I also chose two based on google seach locations for the next two most populated areas in Switzerland. Aircraft movement at all of the following airports was smooth with no pause, and there was no other problem relative to display: KATL, KLAX, KBOS, KSLC, KIAD, KIAH, KSFO, KFTW, EGLL, LLBG, LSZB, and LSGL.4. Shut down FSX and cranked up FS9. Aircraft movement at all six of the DreamTeam locations in question were smooth as could be with no pauses and textures were outstanding.One question is whether there is something wrong elsewhere affecting aircraft movement at these particular airports, both default and DreamTeam. This would seem to be unlikely as implications are that the problem is unique to these six airports.The obvious counter question is whether the DreamTeam Airports are the culprit and something remains even after they are deselected in the library, which does seem likely. Deleting them from the library is an option but I don't know what this would accomplish that unchecking them doesn't. I guess reinstalling then would also be an option, but even if that works it would not explain what has happened.I am sorry in one way, and glad in another that Tom confirmed that other folk have seen this happen. ("this is a common problem with FSDT sceneries" ). I just wish DreamTeam had a solution for I think they are outstanding contributions and I have enjoyed their use for longer than I realized. I see that my downloads were in 2008 and 2009. I will continue to enjoy them in FS9, but the minimum solution will be to get the defaults back on track in FSX. The max is the hope that the DT installations can be included in the solution.Thanks for humoring me if you suffered through reading this.RTHEdit: Just tried KEWR in order to peek at an airport very near one of the problem locations (KJFK). Smooth as could be with no problems. Seems that the problem is isolated very nearly within the airport boundaries of the six trouble spots.
Interesting problem... I have all FSDT airports for both FSX and FS9 and have never seen this happen - it's the first I've ever heard of it.DJ

Guest nzch2010

Have you checked your fsx config to see if the FSDT addon manager has not done an optimize. I found that once, and I never requested it. One thing I hate is my config files been changed without my knowledge. I must add though, I have not experienced your issue.

Simple fix. Delete your FSX.cfg and allow it to rebuild. I had this same problem messing around with tweaks that I found around here and it only affected FSDT KORD. There was a constant stutter every second or two. Blew away the FSX.cfg and restarted and it was back to normal. I don't know what tweak did it but it was definitely something that I messed with that FSDT sceneries in particular don't like.

Mike and Newbie:Strange happenings concerning the fsx.cfg file.I cannot simply rename it and let FSX rebuild it. Every time I select a free flight and that window closes, then normally the little window that shows the loading ribbon should appear, I never get that window. After I click on fly now, there is a brief hesitation where the startup window closes, then I get the blue screen of death and my computer restarts.I doubt that the fsx.cfg is the problem though. I went back and inserted various fsx.cfg files that I had saved going all the way back to 2009. FSX started up fine. However, the pauses at the airports in question remained. I strongly suspect that whatever is causing the pause is probably the same thing that is preventing startup with a fsx.cfg rebuild.I am going to sleep on this one. Been a puzzling and frustrating day.To be continued:RTH

Mike and Newbie:Strange happenings concerning the fsx.cfg file.I cannot simply rename it and let FSX rebuild it. Every time I select a free flight and that window closes, then normally the little window that shows the loading ribbon should appear, I never get that window. After I click on fly now, there is a brief hesitation where the startup window closes, then I get the blue screen of death and my computer restarts.I doubt that the fsx.cfg is the problem though. I went back and inserted various fsx.cfg files that I had saved going all the way back to 2009. FSX started up fine. However, the pauses at the airports in question remained. I strongly suspect that whatever is causing the pause is probably the same thing that is preventing startup with a fsx.cfg rebuild.I am going to sleep on this one. Been a puzzling and frustrating day.To be continued:RTH
If you cannot allow FSX to rebuild the cfg file without your system crashing you have larger issues I'm afraid. The ability to cleanly rebuild the FSX.cfg file is an absolute must so there is definitely another issue with your system. That said, are you overclocking your CPU, Memory or GPU? IF you are (and even if you're not) may I suggest that you download MEMTEST95 which will stresstest your system and ensure that you have stability. If MEMTEST fails you indeed have issues. If it passes then either you have Windows set up badly or another issue. Can you post your full rig specs?M.

I have my own theory which they deny!
That's like saying "I heard the funniest joke ever" and then turning around and walking away.I am extremely curious on your theory.

Update:Clarification: Immediately after installation of FS9 and/or FSX, I immediately make a copy of the default installation before any changes, modifications, addons or anything else. I have found that this is a lifesaver for troubleshooting. Substituting default folders and files has been a good way to find errors by a process of elimination. I realize this may be a bit primitive to the professional computer know it alls, but it works for me, as it did to some extent in this case.1. I discovered that the problem child for the pauses in aircraft movement was the dll.xml file in the FSX folder. (C\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml). Replacing with the original default file seems to have cured this problem. (Again, the problem was present in only the six airport sites listed in my previous reply.)2. The culprit relative to restarting my computer was that after deleting the fsx.cfg file and letting it rebuild, It was only partially rebuilding. I did have a rebuilt file, but it was only partial for some reason. After the computer restarted, I discovered (again by a very lengthy process of elimination) that the Main section of the file was missing the line item: "Maximized=2". I copied this line item from my original default, restarted FSX and the reminder of the file rebuilt to pretty well match my original default. This was somewhat academic as this did nothing to cure the aircraft movement problem. I could see no difference in anything between useing the rebuilt file or my current one.3. Based on the findings above, I do not believe there is a computer setup problem as some have suggested. The problems seems to be totally unique to fSX and I see no other problems anywhere in the system. I also went back to the original default BIOS settings and saw no change in anything with the exception that temperatures dropped a bit as expected. Temperatures were low. Overclocked they are just moderate.The only remaining problem I see is I am still missing textures when I activate the DreamTeam airports in FSX. The pauses are gone. I may be brave enough to reinstall and see what happens, or possibly will just live with the MSFSX defaults. I have this on the Dreamteam forum as well, so something might develope there.Thanks for the advice and comments. As requested my system specs are added below:RTH Primary Computer:ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel ATX MotherboardIntel Core i7-975 Extreme Quad Core CPUScythe SY124010L CPU Fam6GB (3x2GB) 240 Pin DDR3 1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK MemoryWinXP Pro 64 BitEVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512 bigt DDR3 Video Graphics Card23" HPw2338h Primary Monitor21” Viewsonic Pro Series P815 Secondary MonitorNvidia version 197.45 drivers for GTX 285 Video Card1 Western Digital Velco/Raptor WD3000HLFS 300 GB 10000RPM WATA 3 GB System Harddrive1 Western Digital Velco/Raptor WD3000HLFS 300 GB 10000RPM WATA 3 GB FSX Harddrive1 each Segate 320GB SATA FS9 Harddrive1 each Segate 320GB SATA Backup / Utility HarddriveStd. Floppy Drive2 Each CDRW/DVDRWPlusDeck 2C Audio Tape Player/RecorderKonica Minolta magicolor 2400W Laser PrinterCH Pro USB PedalsCH USB FlightSim YokeMicrosoft FFB2 USB JoystickLogitech Keyless KeyboardLogitech cordless mouseHigh Speed Cable Internet/email Service with RouterCorsair HX1000W Modular 1000 Watt Power SupplySuperPower ATX Full Tower Case with sides Customized for more ventilationNote: Keyboard and Mouse are shared with a secondary Core 2 Duo Computer for WinXP Pro 32 bit programs, WideFS6 (FS9) and Wide FS7 (FSX). Implementation is by Synergy Free Software.Note: CPU Overclocked to 4.0. GPU is not overclockedSecondary Computer:ASUS P5N-SLI MotherboardIntel E6600 Core2 Duo CPUZalman CNPS7700-CU RT CPU Fan4 GB KST DII800 MemoryWinXP Pro 32 BitNVIDIA Evga Geforce 8400GS 512MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card21” Viewsonic Pro Series P815 Primary MonitorNavidia version 182.50 drivers for Video Card1 each Segate 250GB UIDE Harddrive1 Each Segate 80GB SATA Harddrive1 each Maxtar 40GB UIDE Harddrive Std. Floppy DriveCDRW/DVDRWWINTVHP 4315v Printer/Fax/Scanner/CopierEpson Perfection 2480 Photo ScannerMicroTech Z!O! Flash Card ReaderAudigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound to Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 SpeakersBFGR 1000 Watt Power SupplyNote: Keyboard and Mouse are shared with a primary i7-975 Computer for WinXP Pro 64 bit programs, WideFS6 (FS9) and Wide FS7 (FSX). Implementation is by Synergy Free Software.

Success!Thanks to the kind and prompt help from Umberto Colaplcchioni on the DreamTeam forum, everything is working fine now. I highly recommend DreamTeam's contribution and IMHO they make for some fantastic airport scenery. Their support is outstanding as well, even when Uberto does get a bit justifiably frustrated with our ignorance at times.1. Checked my fsx.cfg version: 10.0.6147202. For good measure, downloaded a new fsx_sp2_ENUSP2 from the Microsoft download center.3. Installed the new SP2. The fsx.cfg version is again 10.0.614720.4. Uninstalled all Dreamteam files with the control panel add/remove provisions. Some were not removed from either the FSX library and/or fsdreamteam folder. Deleted these.5. Downloaded the latest stand alone setup_addonmanagerx.exe file along with the latest LSZH, LSGG, KFLL, KJFK, KLAS, and KORD DT airports. While I was at it, went ahead and downloaded Lihue-hilo, Dallas Fort Worth, and Honolulu Intl. for a future purchase as soon as I am sure everything is stable now. Discovered that all except KLAS were newer versions than those I had installed. I guess I need to make a version check on my FS9 DT airports as well, but everything still looks good there.6. Installed the newly downloaded DT files. As I did, the installation created new dll.xml and EXE.xml files. The original dll.xml file was the one that I discovered and mentioned earlier that seemed to be causing the pauses in aircraft movement. All six airports are now returned to their full fantastic glory again, and there is no sign of the aircraft movement pauses which created this scenario.Respectfully:RTH

I may have spoken too soon.School may or may not still be out on my problem.I just made the following discoveries when I tried to select third party aircraft. I don't know whether this would have been all or not, but I tried several (i.e. Capt.Sim 757, LDS 767, Aeroworx King Air, PMDG 1900, and a generic third party bird or two. Some came up with partial panels, others shutdown FSX.1. First indication during startup was that I got an error message stating that FSUIPC nor Wideclient were not being linked to work.2. When I selected the LDS 767, it stated that it needed to be reinstalled.3. Looked in the ADDON provisions at top of the FSX display. All that were listed were Couati-Powered Products and Addon Manager. Quickgoto, FSUIPC, PMDG, and Leveld Simulations which also should have been listed had been removed.4. Reinstalled the latest version of FSUIPC. (4.60a best I remember).5. Some birds that previously shutdown FSX now worked (i.e. PMDG 1900). Others still shutdown FSX (i.e. Aeroworx King Air) and I no longer got the FSUIPC or Wideclient errors.6. Being that new DT installations had replaced my DLL.XML file, to see what would happen I put the DLL.XML file that I had when all of this started back in my FSX folder. All aircraft in question are back working and the addon listings were replaced. I fully expected the pauses which motivated this thread to start with to be back, but to my surprise aircraft movement at DT KJFK was smooth, textures were still normal and SO FAR I see no other problems with anything else.Hopefully all problems are solved now but time will tell.Respectfully:RTH