Sign in to follow this  
OwenHewitt

A new lease on performance

I specifically hope that existing planes/sceneries/etc are NOT supported.  I believe that a huge reason for the poor performance and overal fragility of FSX is due to the baggage of backward compatibility.  This is MS's golden opportunity to start fresh and create an efficient codebase with no sea anchors.  I'll glady buy new addons if this is the case.
My sentiments as well ...

My angle is a little different as I use programming interfaces (e.g. SimConnect) in my add-on. If all those change to produce a better and faster sim I'll be glad to do whatever it takes on my side to get my add-on to work with Flight.Simon

I would not understand $$$ wise why MS or payware dev. would let FSX addons be compatible?Just by fixing FSX the problem of compatibility would be resolved, shuuuut! don't tell but I think the dev. and MS are all in bed together to make money on our back......so let say Flight is DX11..... do you really think they will give us a patch to make our DX9 (10) FSX addons compatible, and further more how will you download them to Flight if you have to go to the store to buy the new addons for Flight.....you won't be able to install them.....shuuuuut! don't tell........Big%20Grin.gif

I would not understand $$ wise why MS or payware dev. would let FSX addons be compatible?Just by fixing FSX the problem of compatibility would be resolved, shuuuut! don't tell but I think the dev. and MS are all in bed together to make money on our back......so let say Flight is DX11..... do you really think they will give us a patch to make our DX9 (10) FSX addons compatible, and further more how will you download them to Flight if you have to go to the store to buy the new addons for Flight.....you won't be able to install them.....shuuuuut! don't tell........Big%20Grin.gif
I have never seen so many anti-capitalists in my life ...

I have never seen so many anti-capitalists in my life ...
LOL don't get me wrong.... it would be great to have all our FSX addons been compatible with Flight, I just can see this happening...

...don't tell but I think the dev. and MS are all in bed together to make money on our back
Hey! Don't give away all our secrets! Folks just might start coveting my munificent $7,000 per year income!!!P.S. - I'm not joking either... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Owen, Can you ask your sources if flight is going to be DX-11 and if the weather and atc engine is going to be upgraded....Regards....

No sir, everyone is on the same playing field with this project ... I know just as much as everyone else or has been posted on the internet.It is a complete 180 compared to the development of FSX where team members were encouraged to blog about the project prior to release.Regards,Owen

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Owen, Can you ask your sources if flight is going to be DX-11 and if the weather and atc engine is going to be upgraded....Regards....
This info has not been given out by Microsoft, so he can't tell us any inside info he has. Besides, he knows just as much as we do about Flight.Looking at screenshot 4, it appears the weather engine was upgraded, or more likely, built from scratch. But that's just my guess.

Brandon Filer

This info has not been given out by Microsoft, so he can't tell us any inside info he has. Besides, he knows just as much as we do about Flight.Looking at screenshot 4, it appears the weather engine was upgraded, or more likely, built from scratch. But that's just my guess.
If he really still has sources at MS then I'm sure he knows more then me and you.The weather engine looks the same to me.

Eric Escobar

If he really still has sources at MS then I'm sure he knows more then me and you.The weather engine looks the same to me.
No sir, I honestly do not know more than what has been released to the public. I'm sure we'll all learn more very soon.Regards,Owen

The beauty of much in FSX, is that if you have the source data it should be possible to make a Flight sdk to reuse it. Consider terrain uses GIS-standard geotiffs and shapefiles, just provide the tool to convert to whatever flight needs. Same for static scenery objects. If you have the geometry and uv maps you should be able to create flight scenery. Even something like bones and skinned mesh I think are still about the same in any program, right? Now if scenery has to interact with the realtime sim engine, that will take some new work I would imagine.scott s..

Guest veeray

scott967: An outright open format would be awesome. I think gmax/3ds plugin support will be dropped altogether because of the texture limitations. Blender is more useful than gmax and 3ds already supports outputting to just about every format out there anyways. Perhaps an XML based version .mdlx? Secure and encrypt it for commercial devs, but leave it open otherwise so If I want to change/improve something, I can.

I do agree that using an entirely new engine (one that will not be compatible with existing addons) would be a good idea, but that decreases the chance that I will purchase MS Flight quite significantly. Many of you may be only too willing to shell out all over again, but I am not. In short....when I have complete photographic coverage of the British Isles, detailed airports, airfields and custom autogen for the entire region (hopefully by the end of 2011), the only "upgrade" that I will need is superior framerate. Why the hell would I even think about wasting the same amount of money all over again? What would be the point? I am 100% certain that my "addon upgraded" FSX version of the British Isles will be vastly superior to the default MS Flight version, so the choice is a no brainer.I guess it's fortunate for Microsoft that most flight simmers (or indeed, casual gamers) don't think like me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

With FSX having performance issues even on state of the art high end computers I'd be content with a completely new engine taking full advantage of multicore CPUs and GPUs and SLI Graphic card setups. I could still use FSX for certain aircraft and sceneries, as I do now with FS2004 (which is my Aeroworks King Air 200 setup - my all time favourite fs addon).

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I do agree that using an entirely new engine (one that will not be compatible with existing addons) would be a good idea, but that decreases the chance that I will purchase MS Flight quite significantly. Many of you may be only too willing to shell out all over again, but I am not. In short....when I have complete photographic coverage of the British Isles, detailed airports, airfields and custom autogen for the entire region (hopefully by the end of 2011), the only "upgrade" that I will need is superior framerate. Why the hell would I even think about wasting the same amount of money all over again? What would be the point? I am 100% certain that my "addon upgraded" FSX version of the British Isles will be vastly superior to the default MS Flight version, so the choice is a no brainer.I guess it's fortunate for Microsoft that most flight simmers (or indeed, casual gamers) don't think like me.
Nobody is forcing anybody to upgrade ! Not sure why your on the flight forum if you have plans on upgrading.... Once you see the new sim with the new addons and tech by ORBX you will upgrade just like everybody else that complains in this forum....

Eric Escobar

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.