Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Nvidia configuration guide (Inspector + 2xx.xx drivers) version 2.0 + explanations of all settings

I noticed that NickN's Inspector settings include "Vertical Sync = Force On" but Ryan's setting is "Vertical Sync = Use the 3D application setting." Is there any significant difference? I am using a brand new EVGA GTX580 card....Phil

So ASE tells FSX what the weather is by knowing your current location and FSX displays this weather based on the REX-OD texture themes selected?. I consider REX a must have. Would you say ASE is in the same catagory? How much "admin/tweaking" time is required? Overall comments anyone?
I don't do the whole weather influenced texture thing - I just pick stuff I like in REX and then use ASE for the actual generation of the weather conditions.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I noticed that NickN's Inspector settings include "Vertical Sync = Force On" but Ryan's setting is "Vertical Sync = Use the 3D application setting." Is there any significant difference? I am using a brand new EVGA GTX580 card....Phil
I don't force it on for precisely the reason outlined in my reply to Peter above. Forcing it on can more than halve your framerate at times in windowed mode because in that mode FSX uses double buffering instead of the form of triple that full screen mode uses. (triple buffering prevents that framerate loss that happens when Vsync is on and the framerate drops below the integer quotients of your monitor's refresh rate - most LCDs are 60Hz, so if your system can't maintain 60FPS, the FPS will drop down to 60/2=30FPS when Vsync is on. The monitor can't sync to fractions of frames, that's why this happens.) Using the two fsx.cfg lines allow FSX itself to control the Vsync state and you can set it to do it only in full screen mode if you like. The only reason we force the AA/AF stuff on is because FSX doesn't allow you to set the specific modes inside the sim. Most modern games do allow you to do that, there's dropdown lists that let you pick the AA and AF level etc. You don't want to force things on unless you have to, a lot of games have optimized routines for AA and AF that help the card to not work as hard and if you force things on, you're effectively disabling those routines. That sort of philosophy is why I'd rather set Vsync with the cfg entries.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I for one have found the following works best for me in my normal use of FSX, in Full Screen mode. I used to experience a lot of trouble (hangs & black screens) when using the alt-enter key to switch between Full Screen and Window mode. My theory is, that forcing the vsync on in both modes, causes the driver to hang in an attempt to resync the refresh rates. Since I have implemented the following a year or two ago, I've never had another hang or black screen when switching. I still use Ryan's video driver settings and most of NickN's CPU setup instructions, and a few of Bojote's tweaks. But, I found this really helped my mode switching. Try it and see if it helps you switching modes (alt-enter). FYI, it is generaly recommended not to ever use the alt-tab function or Windows Key to switch out of Full Screen mode - use "alt-enter" first....This is currently on my FSXsp2 rig running Win7x64 with the below specs.I have the latest Nvidia driver and the Inspector utility set to 8xS using Ryans instructions above. The Vsync setting untouched (default - application controlled).In the FSX.cfg file, I have Full screen mode Vsync = On(1) and in Window mode, Vsync = off(0).Again, this helps if you primarly use Full Screen mode and experience any issues using alt-enter.

[GRAPHICS]ForceFullScreenVSync=1ForceWindowedVSync=0

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I want to first thank the folks at PMDG for sharing this information. I have one problem that developed after installing a new nvidia driver and using the nvidia inspector settings. In full view mode, the screen area appears just slightly larger than the monitor so that, for example, the menu on top of the screen becomes hidden after I hit the "alt" key. I can still move my cursor over to a given menu, move it up until it disappears (it appears hidden behind the actual border of the monitor), left click, and the most of the drop down menu appears. Its almost as if a border around the entire screen, equal in width to the menu line on the top of the screen, is hidden behind the borders of my monitor. This began after I updated the nvidia drivers, and set the nvidia inspector settings suggested on this page. This happened to me once before when I had an nvidia GTX 285 card installed and i upgraded the drivers from the version that could support nhancer to the newer ones that now require the inspector (I don't remember the series numbers). I had to reinstall the old drivers and set it up with nhancer, then reinstalled the new drivers with the inspector, and that seemed to work. Now, however, I have no idea how to solve this problem. It isn't catastrophic as much as it is annoying because in full screen, I have to tuck the cursor and guess where the menu I want to open is located. My specs are as follows: Asus P6T6 Revolution Motherboard; i7 920 CPU (overclocked to 4Gz); 16Mb Corsair Dominator Memory; Creative X-Fi soundcard; EGVA GTX 580 video card; Windows 7 64-bit; FSX w/Acceleration; and I use my Sony 52" XBR-9 television as my monitor. Hope I can find a solution. Thanks Again. Mike Gutierrez

Michael Gutierrez. North Hollywood, California

I want to first thank the folks at PMDG for sharing this information. I have one problem that developed after installing a new nvidia driver and using the nvidia inspector settings. In full view mode, the screen area appears just slightly larger than the monitor so that, for example, the menu on top of the screen becomes hidden after I hit the "alt" key. I can still move my cursor over to a given menu, move it up until it disappears (it appears hidden behind the actual border of the monitor), left click, and the most of the drop down menu appears. Its almost as if a border around the entire screen, equal in width to the menu line on the top of the screen, is hidden behind the borders of my monitor. This began after I updated the nvidia drivers, and set the nvidia inspector settings suggested on this page. This happened to me once before when I had an nvidia GTX 285 card installed and i upgraded the drivers from the version that could support nhancer to the newer ones that now require the inspector (I don't remember the series numbers). I had to reinstall the old drivers and set it up with nhancer, then reinstalled the new drivers with the inspector, and that seemed to work. Now, however, I have no idea how to solve this problem. It isn't catastrophic as much as it is annoying because in full screen, I have to tuck the cursor and guess where the menu I want to open is located. My specs are as follows: Asus P6T6 Revolution Motherboard; i7 920 CPU (overclocked to 4Gz); 16Mb Corsair Dominator Memory; Creative X-Fi soundcard; EGVA GTX 580 video card; Windows 7 64-bit; FSX w/Acceleration; and I use my Sony 52" XBR-9 television as my monitor. Hope I can find a solution. Thanks Again. Mike Gutierrez
Can't you simply adjust your monitor to shrink vertically a little bit?

Thank for the reply dazz. I've tried that in the past, but it did never worked. Also, if I shrink the screen, since I use my television as my monitor, it affects the viewing area when I watch TV. I'll try it again, but the last time this happened. no matter what I did, the problem remained. Thanks again. Mike Gutierrez

You need to turn overscan off on the TV itself, you may also need to enable a 1 to 1 pixel ratio and again this is probably achieved by changing some mode on the TV itself. On my LG LCD tv for example I need to change the label for the HDMI port my computer is plugged into on the TV to PC.

Cheers, Andy.

Great revised guide Ryan! I'll be changing my settings shortly. Thanks so much for taking the time!

It's common to disable it when overclocking - that's why ******* has that option there. HT creates a ton of extra heat and you can get higher raw overclocks with it off.
Quick question:Does HT actually add anything substantially beneficial to FSX? I'm thinking of the $100 difference between to i5 2500k and the i7 2600k in particular. I'd get the 2500k if HT doesn't really do much in FSX. Whoever answers, please PM me. This way the thread won't go OT. Thanks!

If you have any photo scenery installed then you should leave HT on if you fly over it a lot as FSX uses the virtual cores for loading the textures, it makes a pretty big difference on my 920, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be any different with the 2600K.

Cheers, Andy.

I don't use photoscenery, so I'm not entirely sure if that statement is accurate, but most games do not take much advantage of HT. HT is useful for stuff like video encoding, file compression etc. It's targeted at people who use content creation apps. Important to remember too that they're not true extra physical cores, they're virtual ones, so it's not going to be that huge of a gain.

I think the others who responded are correct on this - TVs use overscan and normal computer monitors do not. Your TV should allow you to turn the overscan off just for that particular input - I have a much lower end Sony HDTV here than the XBR series and it has that ability.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Believe me it has an appreciable effect on photoscenery loading, I don't make statements like that unless I'm certain. I have had HT switched on for the last 12 months and I switched it off for the first time a couple of weeks ago to try and see if it really didn't do anything for FSX as I'm always reading on the forums and sure enough FSX would no longer load as quickly and the scenery would not stay blur free at 600+ knots. After a couple of days I turned it back on and I was back to normal. You can tell quite easily that it is helping just by looking at the task manager when over photoscenery as all 8 graphs are at 100% for 70% of the time, if you fly over an area with default type scenery you hardly ever see all cores going that high, its usually just the one core that is pegged constantly at 100% while the rest barely go over 50% every now and again. I was also getting stutters quite badly at times with it off too, that was not the case with it on.

Cheers, Andy.

RyanThanks for your reponse much appreciated,Now to the last questionWhat is the relationship of nvidia inspector to the nvidia control panel downloaded with the driver?If you open the NVCP after setting your card up in NV Inspector does it change anything especially if the settings in the NVCP are different to those in NV Inspector??When you install a new driver (now with the option of preserving previous settings) do you need to run NV Inspeector to 'refresh' your settings?Thanks again for a great post.RegardsPeterH

Thanks to all for your replies, and I will try turning off the overscan on the television. Mike Gutierrez

This is awesome! FSX looks so much better now. Thankyou Ryan! :(